Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: catavina area
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 01:38 PM
catavina area

Anyone drive north of Sta Rosalillita recently? Curious to know the sate of the roads.

**Specifically interested in the access roads along the coast. If you're worried about giving away secrets, a U2U would be great. And don't worry - I know all the roads you know about (and probably some you don't). :smug:

Cue the flamers!

[Edited on 1-26-2016 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 02:43 PM

As of 16 Jan, lots of big, deep potholes, much more so than normal, careful.

[Edited on 1-26-2016 by SFandH]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 02:46 PM

Can't agree more - some real deep ones. We saw a survey crew working the area last week so maybe getting ready to widen and repave? Hope so. This is north of the BOLA turnoff, by the way.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 03:59 PM

I saw a road crew also, going slow in a pick-up, checking things out. Once those potholes start to grow, the trucks destroy the road. I had my front end aligned before I went south in October. I probably should have it checked out again. I hit a few monster holes coming back in January when on-coming traffic forced the situation. BOLA turnoff to north of Catavina, watch out.

[Edited on 1-26-2016 by SFandH]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 04:00 PM

In November, we drove from Punta Canoas down to just north of Coņo and the road was uneventful, a no-brainer (as demonstrated by me).

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 04:44 PM

I love that pic.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 05:19 PM
Back in July, 2007...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Back in July, 2007...

Déjā vu all over again.

Appears to have more infrastructure on the beach when you were there.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-26-2016 at 05:34 PM

Commercial fishing camp in full gear, and typical summer "June Gloom" (in July), hugging the coast.

We came, we saw... I dug the dirt roads for 200 miles, however. Just a small sample of what driving down Baja was like before Hwy. 1 was paved.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 06:05 PM

Not sure exactly what governmental authority is responsible for the highway around the Catavina area, but for many years there has been a conflation of highway repair, with continued major potholes.

I can only conclude that the main ingredient in their patch is cow flop.

This has got to be some sort of inside corruption thing going on.

Just about the worst road surface in all of the length of Mex 1, that is constantly being repaired. (with cow flop).
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 08:45 PM

It also may be that their resources have been strained with all the construction going on elsewhere.

I remember the days when 2 guys in a truck, maybe they had a flagman too, were filling pot holes down Hwy 1. Just a pile of asphalt and a shove.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 09:20 PM

The pavement is only as good as the road bed under it! I suspect that the area around Catavina has geology that causes springs to pop up in the road bed during heavy rain events.

Since so much of the road beds are built with marginal, or substandard material, the hammering of heavy traffic, combined with poor drainage causes the pavement to flex and crack, leading to pot-holes.

If that is the case, there is no easy fix! The soft spots need to be dug out and built back up with rock, preferably with some sort of drain system if springs are found.

[Edited on 1-28-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2016 at 11:24 PM

I'll U2U when I see this thread maņana. Good night all.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2016 at 10:01 AM

not saying painting over the graffiti boulders was a bad idea....but maybe the resources could have been put to better use?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2016 at 10:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
The pavement is only as good as the road bed under it! I suspect that the area around Catavina has geology that causes springs to pop up in the road bed during heavy rain events.

Since so much of the road beds are built with marginal, or substandard material, the hammering of heavy traffic, combined with poor drainage causes the pavement to flex and crack, leading to pot-holes.

If that is the case, there is no easy fix! The soft spots need to be dug out and built back up with rock, preferably with some sort of drain system if springs are found.

[Edited on 1-28-2016 by AKgringo]

You're right. They can patch the section between BOLA and north of Catavina until the cows come home and it will just quickly fall apart again. The whole section needs to be replaced, like they have done elsewhere.
huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 01:41 PM
potholes

Seniora Espinosa's grandson attributes the problem to ' mal gobierno '. In fact, that stretch of road is dangerous right now. If you are attempting to drive it at highway speed, you are gambling. Having survived the gauntlet of potholes and trucks, I was coming up on the evening view into the valley South of El Rosario and witnessed a string of gringos in a variety of vehicles starting the run in the dark. Taxing your luck in that manner is ridiculous.
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 10:24 AM

well, job security for the pothole fixers.

same in los angeles,ca.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.