BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Help with planning a trip to the Northwest
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 10:11 AM
Help with planning a trip to the Northwest

Advise needed for camping and fishing in the Northwest. There will be around 3 self-contained cab over campers that would like to explore and fish Oregon, Washington and the southern parts of British Columbia. We will be leaving the Lodi area the first week of June and the total trip will be around 2 weeks. We have done the costal route going up Oregon and the Washington coast line and spending time in the Olympic peninsula and would like to try some different areas.
We are wide open to suggestions but would like to spend time along rivers/creeks and the mountains. Fishing is a bonus but not the main part of the trip. We have 4 w/d but do not want to get too far off the beaten track and tear up the campers.
Not opposed to the possibility of Idaho and Montana.
We are experienced campers, so bring those suggestions on!
Thank you

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 10:28 AM
Travel

Do ck-out the San Jauns,, the fraser,campell and the Stikine..You wont be disappointed.....PS.Also Deception pass bridge.. the view is mind blowing !!

[Edited on 2-3-2016 by captkw]
daveB
Nomad

Mood: wondering about Nomads!

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 12:19 PM

My first thoughts would be to make sure you get into Canada to take advantage of the serious differential in currencies. Last week you could buy CAD for 89 or 90 cents (Canadians needed almost $1.45 or close, to buy a USD). Today its pegged at 92 cents, but may close at less. But you need to watch the firearm regulations at the border.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 02:12 PM

1 US Dollar equals 1.38 Canadian Dollar

1 Canadian Dollar equals 0.73 US Dollar

...it's not the Cdn$ or peso that's been falling., the US dollar has rocketed in recent times.

I wonder what spin Obama haters can put on this!?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 03:51 PM

If anyone of you has vertigo problems, be sure to do the Oregon coast south-to-north. You'll enjoy the views a whole lot more, and your passenger won't be shrieking as loudly. ;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-3-2016 at 05:50 PM
Shrieking

I hope to die like my grandpa did...quietly in his sleep...not shrieking and yelling like his passengers................
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 05:24 AM

Remember that it is NOT EASY to get into Canada if any party has a DUI on their record.

Well, at least for a U.S. citizen. Canadian citizens with DUIs are allowed to pass. :?:
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 08:35 AM

Most important, remember to take with you:

A super deluxe from El Tarasco.
An Evil Billy from Beach Mex.
A Killer burger from the Richmond Bar and Grill with chips.
A chicken fried steak with the eggs over medium from Wendy's.

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 11:26 AM

As a local, I'm a little biased, but it's all pretty great.

Central Oregon has some great rivers (Metolius, Deschutes, Crooked, etc.) and Three Sisters/Mt Jefferson wilderness areas.

Far eastern Oregon has amazing stuff too (the Steens, the Alvord, the Owyhee), but it's also a lot of driving through not much to get there and out again.

The Oregon and Washington Cascades have a million great spots for camping, hiking, fishing, etc. I wouldn't even know where to start.

After hearing about my friends' experience in the Kootenays in BC last year, that's now up on my list, too.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 12:45 PM

Also, I have it on fairly good authority that Kamloops dirt is the best tasting dirt.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 01:23 PM

BC highway 99 runs from Vancouver to Cache Creek on Canada 1. It is good road, but steep, narrow, and a bit terrifying in a couple of spots. I drove it from east to west, thinking that my Kia Sportage was about as big a rig as I would want on that road, but I knew that logging trucks could be around the next corner!

It crosses several drainage's, but I did not stop to fish. You will remember that road if you drive it. It also passes by the Whisler resort area.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 01:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
Also, I have it on fairly good authority that Kamloops dirt is the best tasting dirt.

Yep.......

And here is some of our local flora.....

[Edited on 2-4-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 03:43 PM

Our northern home is in Sequim on the Olympic Peninsula. I was a Washington State Park Ranger here for 20 years and can point you in a whole bunch of different directions for fun. Also check out Harvest Hosts, a club that allows RVs to spend a couple nights camping for free on local farms. We are a longtime member and it would be cool if your group would camp at our place a couple of days for free and meet some other nomads...check us out at www.purplehazelavender.com..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:35 AM

There are 4 basic ways to do this north-south journey.

1) hwy 1 along the coast. A scenic drive but slow because it follows the coast with numerous towns, traffic lights, and bays.

2) hwy 5. A freeway gets you there fast but all the beautiful spots will require 1-2 hour drives from hwy, eg. Columbia gorge.

3) hwy 97. The east cascades are scenic and the towns are small and easy to go through. Crator Lake, Deschutes River, etc.

4) hwy 395. Much more remote with beautiful unsettled country and wide open roads with no one for miles. This has both high country and desert.

In my opinion the further east you go the better it is. Options 3 and 4.
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 02:10 PM

Since you have already done the coastal route,the central choice of 97 as others have noted is a good one. The last time we drove home from Baja we took a guided drift boat trip on the Deschutes ,fishing was great.Best part of our trip. Love Montana but two weeks would be a little tight for me ( old and slow) If you do go up into BC the aforementioned Kootenay's are outstanding. At the northern end of the US Cascades Hwy 20 (light on campgrounds ) is the most scenic route through the mountains and drops you out at the gate way to the San Jauns islands.
Ferry trips are a pain with a rig.The best and totally cheap way to see the San Jauns without a boat is to walk on the Washington State ferry to Sidney BC with return the same day. Lots of parking at the ferry landing.Get off at Friday Harbor for a shorter trip and and cab it up to Roach Harbor for lunch at the historic hotel.If you do visit Deception Pass there is nice state park with lots of space but you must have reservations.
I known, too much information. Road trips just get me going.
Have a great trip.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 02:46 PM

That is not to much info. and intel, please keep it coming. From what you people say it sound like highway 97 going up and another route coming home. With only 2-3 weeks from starting out in Lodi, the return trip might just be good ole boring freeway #5 so we can spend more time and smell the roses (pine trees) going North. Any must sees or stops along the route of #97 to the Kamloop area?

Hookemup, what month did you fish the Deschutes and where did you go out of?

Howard

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2016 at 05:55 PM

Head out towards Couer D'Alene and enjoy yourself along the Columbia river. Poke around.
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 01:03 PM

Howard
We went out of Bend Oregon in May for trout. The salmon fly hatch is some time in May. There is a summer steelhead run on the lower Deschutes on my bucket list,I think in July. There are a number of outfitters in Bend that can give you a better idea of best timing.
Good luck
Jimmy
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 02:09 PM

Is there a month that has the most non-rain days for a trip like this? Last June was a drenched month for most of the west.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 02:38 PM

Western Oregon and Washington are notoriously wet. July, August, and September are typically drier than the rest of the year - May, June, and October can be lovely but are hit or miss.

That said, the 97 route is east of the Cascades and thus quite dry. June should be a fine month, but is a busy season for tourists.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.