BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: La Misión beach damage from king tides...
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 05:41 PM

Btw, I drove up from Ensenada Saturday morning. I noticed that the waves looked pretty big, and mentioned it to a surfer friend. I also noticed some US surfer dudes at the El Trailero taco stand, and assumed they were attracted by the waves.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 05:51 PM

I notice the water way higher here than it has ever been. Water in the salt flats for the last 6 months. Camping spots washed away. Does that count? DK tells me its because the Peninsula is sinking.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I notice the water way higher here than it has ever been. Water in the salt flats for the last 6 months. Camping spots washed away. Does that count? DK tells me its because the Peninsula is sinking.

Water in the salt flats? Wow whoda thought that would ever happen? I know you've been there a long time rts but I'm guessing those salt flats have been flooded a time or two thousand over the past million years or so. the fact that you haven't witnessed this much water there in the blink of the eye of history that you have been there doesn't mean much in the big picture of the worlds climate....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 07:23 PM

Few days back … someone that lives there …. thought they got hit by a Tornado .. sent me the pictures ... this was La Mision

And the shore break was pretty big that day ... :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 2-5-2016 by wessongroup]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 07:55 PM

cheeky!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  

Water in the salt flats? Wow whoda thought that would ever happen? I know you've been there a long time rts but I'm guessing those salt flats have been flooded a time or two thousand over the past million years or so. the fact that you haven't witnessed this much water there in the blink of the eye of history that you have been there doesn't mean much in the big picture of the worlds climate....

True. but it does say something a bout recent history. Are you saying we should ignore what is happening now?
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 08:21 PM

Wow. Big splash.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 08:21 PM

Wow. Big splash.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2016 at 08:26 PM

Wow. Big splash.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 04:43 AM

Likely an El Nino effect but this winter in North Central Texas is by far the warmest I've ever experienced, just a few days with frosty mornings. Usually by now we've had temps in the low teens and some snow. The lady next door planted a Pygmy Date Palm in her yard--I told it would be toast if she didn't bring it inside for protection---its now February and its still green and happy. This follows last year's rains here which blew apart the previous all-time record by almost 10 inches!

As far as GW is concerned I don't see how vaporizing 100 million years of carbon deposits in a couple centuries cannot have an effect. That said, the effects are less than predicted. Weather is a tricky science--chaos theory weighs in heavily.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:45 AM

A lot of "pollution" can come from Nature, too. Just one volcano needs to erupt... but the earth can (and has) handled it many times before.

I hope they do invent a power system that does not pollute and that the common man can afford.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 12:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
De nada, 2 for Baja!

We all have various reasons for posting here. I just wish more would do so for friendship or information exchange. It is the Internet, after all, and 'everything' is on the Internet!

By-the-way, I had a nice visit with Mando last month... They don't get much nicer than he!

So love Mando he is a gem. Someday we will have to all get together in BOLA. Brett retires March 29th and we will be spending more time there. Anyway thanks again for all the info and help.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 01:08 PM

Too bad all those nice palapas the city built have been destroyed. I think they were just one or two years old and there were about 15 of them.

Beach erosion problems from San Francisco to Ensenada, maybe further south, I don't know. Add to that the 60 mile per hour gusts last week (Pt. Loma) on top of a big high tide storm swell and lots of beaches are a mess.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 01:16 PM

Here's a good article on El Nino and why the rains haven't really hit SoCal yet:

http://www.weatherwest.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 01:27 PM

A lot of "pollution" can come from Nature, too. Just one volcano needs to erupt... but the earth can (and has) handled it many times before.

I hope they do invent a power system that does not pollute and that the common man can afford.

How can you say that. The Pollution that man has created has not been experienced by the earth in ancient history and is above and beyond "volcanoes". geeze. Next you will be showing us pictures of dinosaurs on the beach.

[Edited on 2-5-2016 by rts551]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:07 PM

How can you say that. The Pollution that man has created has not been experienced by the earth in ancient history and is above and beyond "volcanoes". geeze. Next you will be showing us pictures of dinosaurs on the beach.

[Edited on 2-5-2016 by rts551]

Sure it has--google the Siberian Traps/ Permian Extinction or for that matter consider the "pollution" of the Earth's early atmosphere with toxic oxygen producing cyanobacteria (of course it turned out to be a good pollution since the overwhelming amount of oxygen produced burst through existing chemical and geological buffers to allow free oxygen to exist and eventually be used by the current lifeforms today, otherwise we'd still be anaerobes sliming around in the estuaries).
Climate change is nothing new--a mere 20,000 yrs ago the sea levels would have been 300 feet lower due to ice age influence---can you imagine? That said, the climate is likely malleable to our input and we have to decide what our part is in its future. Its as much about effects on other species as it is on our own economies--a 3 foot rise in sea level can be devastating to many coastal ports and population centers and warming climates can shift farming regions north(read: the Midwest breadbasket moves to Canada).
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:03 AM

The damage in the La Misión area is certainly a small tornado. Water spouts form out over the ocean in unstable weather like we had last weekend. If the water spout moves in over land, the kind of damage is very similar to the damage in the photos. I've seen this in Encinitas north of the border and in the Cantamar/Primo Tapia area south of the border. Sometimes the path of the tornado can be followed over a longer distance. Normally the damage is fairly narrow, about 100 ft., but on some occasions can go for a mile or more.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:18 AM

http://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming...

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  

http://www.skepticalscience.com/volcanoes-and-global-warming...

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by monoloco]

All debates on Volcanoes vs. Man sees one side only mention CO2 as the gas in question.

CO2 is just one kind of gas from a volcano. Why is only that gas mentioned?

I hardly call what all animals exhale and all plants need to live, as a kind of pollution if it isn't bad or unnatural. No plants then no oxygen... what we animals need to breathe.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/index.php

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_gas

The principal components of volcanic gases are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), sulfur either as sulfur dioxide (SO2) (high-temperature volcanic gases) or hydrogen sulfide (H2S) (low-temperature volcanic gases), nitrogen, argon, helium, neon, methane, carbon monoxide and hydrogen. Other compounds detected in volcanic gases are oxygen (meteoric), hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, hydrogen bromide, nitrogen oxide (NOx), sulfur hexafluoride, carbonyl sulfide, and organic compounds. Exotic trace compounds include mercury, halocarbons (including CFCs), and halogen oxide radicals.

The abundance of gases varies considerably from volcano to volcano. Water vapor is consistently the most common volcanic gas, normally comprising more than 60% of total emissions. Carbon dioxide typically accounts for 10 to 40% of emissions.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the USGS:

The most significant climate impacts from volcanic injections into the stratosphere come from the conversion of sulfur dioxide to sulfuric acid, which condenses rapidly in the stratosphere to form fine sulfate aerosols. The aerosols increase the reflection of radiation from the Sun back into space, cooling the Earth's lower atmosphere or troposphere. Several eruptions during the past century have caused a decline in the average temperature at the Earth's surface of up to half a degree (Fahrenheit scale) for periods of one to three years. The climactic eruption of Mount Pinatubo on June 15, 1991, was one of the largest eruptions of the twentieth century and injected a 20-million ton (metric scale) sulfur dioxide cloud into the stratosphere at an altitude of more than 20 miles. The Pinatubo cloud was the largest sulfur dioxide cloud ever observed in the stratosphere since the beginning of such observations by satellites in 1978. It caused what is believed to be the largest aerosol disturbance of the stratosphere in the twentieth century, though probably smaller than the disturbances from eruptions of Krakatau in 1883 and Tambora in 1815. Consequently, it was a standout in its climate impact and cooled the Earth's surface for three years following the eruption, by as much as 1.3 degrees at the height of the impact. Sulfur dioxide from the large 1783-1784 Laki fissure eruption in Iceland caused regional cooling of Europe and North America by similar amounts for similar periods of time.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 03:39 PM

Well, I've always like La Mision and the beach looked pretty good ... from the good cleaning it got .. from Mother Nature

Now if that estuary was like it was back in the 50's ... WOW

Liked it much better with the old road ... which didn't block the ocean and/or water flow :):)

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by wessongroup]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.