Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Diablo Hiking Resource
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-17-2020 at 07:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  

Your proposed ridge faces the observatory. So there should be numerous high quality photos on the internet. Everyone takes a photo looking across to the peak.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2020 at 08:38 AM

My assessment of Diablo is that it is a formidable climb. There are many technical climbs that have been done over the years. After reading all about those other routes is why I went by the traditional route. Up Diablo canyon to Campo Noche then up the gully and scree and slot wash to get to the area called Wall Street. 20 Years ago in November I found heavy snow where the trail should have been so I went up the slabs exposed to the sun (easy 4th class).
Anyway, Schad described the last place to find water and I found a flowing spring with light ice. Depending on the when a climb is made plan on your water. I expect no snow up high means no runoff water which means hauling lots of water from deep in the canyon well down the canyon from Campo Noche.
Here is what Schad said and I found his write up to be accurate back then.

Slot wash.jpg - 123kB
If you do not use Schad's maps and use your GPS then here are the conversions.
2240m=7340’, 2500m=8200’, 2700m=8858’

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by PaulW]

[Edited on 11-17-2020 by PaulW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2020 at 09:00 AM

Elevations:
East Trailhead = 1945'
Summit = 10157'
Gain 8212' Why it takes more than a couple of days
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2020 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Thanks for the pictures. Been a while since I was there. I note that the pool water is very deep. You conformed the cost to enter the rancho. A little more formal than is was before due to the addition of the gate and sign. Did the rancher have to be summoned or was he waiting at the gate? Maybe the gate is close to the ranch building now?

The gate was open but the family was working with their cattle at the corral so I stopped and asked permission. They asked me how many people so I gather the 100 pesos was per person. Higher resolution pano photos on Google Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/FQw87FCpvMVv5Z3u9

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.