Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: hip bursitis cure?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 10:00 PM

I hope you all, including mom, get rid of all your pain. No fun living with pain.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Barry - please check in with updates every week. Curious to know how it pans out.

Status report on Hip pain: I am 78 years old.
I was having pain in my rt. hip that was getting bad (8 on a scale of 10) and effecting my life-style significantly. I started taking supplements 9/20/15 from GARDAVITA---"Arthro-8". By 1/21/16 the pain was slightly better, but I then decided to take GARDAVITA "Mega-MSM" (1200 mgs a day) in addition to Artho-8. Pain was now running about 5 on a scale of 10. On 2/16/16 I went to an Orthopedic doc for evaluation and X-rays.. He said significant "bone-on-bone" action in the hip-joint, and additional bone spurs, and cartilage destruction within the joint. Doc. said my options were 3 fold:

1. Take 1 ALEVE plus 1 Tylenol twice daily, morning and evening, and see what happens.

2. If that does not work, then get cortisone injection into the joint is the next step, every 3 to 4 months.

3. If that does not help, then Hip-Replacement is in order.

So, I am now on Step 1 as of Feb 16th and yes it helps, so far, and my pain is now about a level 2 on the "10 scale". I am still taking the Supplements mentioned above, but the Doc says there is no proof that they do any good, but do no harm, so continue. You never know what would have happened if you did not take the Supplements.

So that is where I am at this point. I will give it another few weeks before deciding to move on to Step 2, or just remain on Step 1. The Doc said that the risks from ALEVE and TYLENOL (325 mgs pills) are minimal compared with the higher risks of Hip-replacement surgery, but that both risks are really pretty minimal. The new methods for hip-replacement are amazing, and are usually very successful, according the the Doc...and you will be walking in a day or two after surgery, normally.

I have no other pain from Arthritis other than this right Hip. I was first diagnosed with "Osteo-Arthritis" when I was about 35, but had no problems with it until about 8 years ago at age 70.

I post this in hopes that other's in the same boat as I am will learn something helpful.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 04:21 PM

Nearly thirty years ago, my dad was going through what Barry is experiencing now. Years of operating heavy equipment on rough terrain, and driving old style trucks (clutch intensive) his hips were shot.

He resisted a replacement procedure for several years, but when he finally got his left hip done and recovered a bit, he grinned and couldn't wait to do the other one!

I am sure that the results could be better with what is available today, but even with the old stuff, his ability to enjoy life was enhanced considerably with the new hips joints.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bazinga
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 05:25 PM

I have used DMSO {DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE) purchased from a Vet. It was very effective on joint pain.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Barry - please check in with updates every week. Curious to know how it pans out.

Status report on Hip pain: I am 78 years old.
I was having pain in my rt. hip that was getting bad (8 on a scale of 10) and effecting my life-style significantly. I started taking supplements 9/20/15 from GARDAVITA---"Arthro-8". By 1/21/16 the pain was slightly better, but I then decided to take GARDAVITA "Mega-MSM" (1200 mgs a day) in addition to Artho-8. Pain was now running about 5 on a scale of 10. On 2/16/16 I went to an Orthopedic doc for evaluation and X-rays.. He said significant "bone-on-bone" action in the hip-joint, and additional bone spurs, and cartilage destruction within the joint. Doc. said my options were 3 fold:

1. Take 1 ALEVE plus 1 Tylenol twice daily, morning and evening, and see what happens.

2. If that does not work, then get cortisone injection into the joint is the next step, every 3 to 4 months.

3. If that does not help, then Hip-Replacement is in order.

So, I am now on Step 1 as of Feb 16th and yes it helps, so far, and my pain is now about a level 2 on the "10 scale". I am still taking the Supplements mentioned above, but the Doc says there is no proof that they do any good, but do no harm, so continue. You never know what would have happened if you did not take the Supplements.

So that is where I am at this point. I will give it another few weeks before deciding to move on to Step 2, or just remain on Step 1. The Doc said that the risks from ALEVE and TYLENOL (325 mgs pills) are minimal compared with the higher risks of Hip-replacement surgery, but that both risks are really pretty minimal. The new methods for hip-replacement are amazing, and are usually very successful, according the the Doc...and you will be walking in a day or two after surgery, normally.

I have no other pain from Arthritis other than this right Hip. I was first diagnosed with "Osteo-Arthritis" when I was about 35, but had no problems with it until about 8 years ago at age 70.

I post this in hopes that other's in the same boat as I am will learn something helpful.

Barry,
Have you checked out Platelet Rich Plasma treatments or Stem Cell treatments? I am checking them out for my rotten bone on bone knee. Being hit by a car when I was a child is coming back to haunt me. Downside is that Medicare will not pay for these treatments and they are expensive. The up side is that there are no side effects because they use your own blood and or stem cells.

I have read that age can be a factor as the stem cells are not as strong. The orthopedic group I go to now does the Rich Plasma treatments so next month I am going to see if it is a possibility for me rather than full knee replacement.

Just google both treatments and work through the advertisements.

Also, having know many people who have had hip and or knee replacement, overwhelmingly they tell me that recovery from hip replacement is much easier than recovery from knee replacement. I have one relative that had one hip replaced and had much less post surgical pain than before the surgery and couldn't wait to get the other one done.

Meantime, I will still consider the options in order to avoid major surgery.

Blanca, if what your mother has is bursitis, that is really different and much easier to treat. I hope it is that and not a deteriorated hip.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 11:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bazinga  
I have used DMSO {DIMETHYL SULFOXIDE) purchased from a Vet. It was very effective on joint pain.

Careful of one thing. John used that many years ago on his elbow, with some good success, but he rested his elbow on the arm of a wooden rocking chair and it removed the varnish.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 01:03 PM

Diana----------No, I had not heard of either of your suggestions, but I sure will check into it. Good luck with your problematic knee.

Thanks to all that have given feedback---------very generous of you------- vital and interesting stuff.

NOMADS are great!!!
bazinga
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 02:45 PM

Thanks DianaT, I will be very careful the next time I re-varnish my hip.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 03:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bazinga  
Thanks DianaT, I will be very careful the next time I re-varnish my hip.

You rest your hip on the arm of a wooden rocking chair?? I am thinking that may not be a great idea. :light:
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
You rest your hip on the arm of a wooden rocking chair?? I am thinking that may not be a great idea. :light:

It could be....got pics? :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 04:55 PM

really great that you all are putting in your experiences. I cant thank you enough and mom's is definitely bursitis at age 81. She is so active, so incredibly active and simply does not give in or give up. Truly inspirational.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.