Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  11
Author: Subject: Carjacking
michaelw

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 05:15 PM
Carjacking

Does anyone have any information on a reported carjacking that took place on Jan. 2nd at the foot of the very steep, curvy descent before coming into Santa Rosalia from the north? Parents with a 16 year old daughter towing a Hobie Cat. Father badly beaten before another vehicle showed up and the attackers fled. Heard this second hand and am trying to find either corroboration or lack of. Appreciate any information out there.
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 07:54 PM

My son is close friends with the 16 year old girl who was involved in this incident. I called the father who lives in Bend, Or. for details. He related this story: On January 2nd. He, his wife and stepdaughter along with 3 dogs, were towing a Hobie Cat to La Ventana while in convoy with another vehicle. They stopped at the military check point outside of San Ignacio. After being questioned they were waved through and the soldiers stopped the car containing their friends. Just prior to descending the steep, circuitous pass, the father noticed that their friends had not caught up to them. Near the bottom of the pass a white crew cab pickup truck came up behind them at a high rate of speed and began honking and flashing his lights. The pickup them passed and immediately turned sideways in the road blocking them from passing. 3 men jumped from the truck and converged on the drivers side door. One man smashed the window with a hammer and reached in and opened the door. Another man began to hit the father about the head and left shoulder with a bat. As soon as the father was partially dragged from the car his leg was smashed with the hammer shattering his fibula. The man with the hammer then hit him below the left temple before smashing the left rear window grabbing the daughter by the hair and holding a knife to her throat. At this point a car pulled up behind the Hobie Cat. The 3 assailants ran back the truck jumped in and sped off eastward.
The family was treated at the clinic in Santa Rosalia as well as held for 12 hours being interviewed by various law enforcement agencies. Both the mother and the daughter recognized on of the men as being at the military check point outside of San Ignacio. They family was told that theirs was the third incident of this kind in the same area of the pass. I have driven the peninsula dozens of times in the last 40 years. I have owned property in Todos Santos, I love the Mexican people and their country and will continue to respectfully visit this wonderful area of the world. However, certain parts of this road that up until recently have been considered "safe" from these types of incidents are changing. Knowledge is power. Stay safe. I am not open to debate about what I report here. Just wanted to get the information out there.
Adios!

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by kevind]
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 08:00 PM

I forgot to mention that the other vehicle in the convoy was held back and searched for nearly 20 minutes possibly creating the time gap necessary for the men in the truck to do what they did. Also, the mother and daughter threw the fathers wallet and their purses to the assailants who showed no interest in them. This was not a robbery.
Adios!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 08:24 PM

This is horrible. You say that it was not a robbery. Is the implication that the men were after the women? Do you have any information on the other two incidents and what happened there?
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:06 PM

BBR, The father did not discuss any details of the other incidences with me so I have nothing to offer further than his telling me that the authorities in Santa Rosalia told him that his was the 3rd such crime in the pass area. He told me that he had the impression that the men wanted him incapacitated so that they could take his wife and step daughter. What I find most disturbing is that the wife and daughter recognized the military person as someone from the checkpoint. He had not even bothered to take his military garb off.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:14 PM

this just sickens me. I am in a state of shock.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:22 PM

Wow !!!!!!!!!!

Don't believe everything you think....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:26 PM

This definitely needs to be reported to the Comandante of the Infantry Post just south of the prison at San Lucas. They are the military unit in charge of the stop at San Ignacio. If there are local higher-up politico's in Santa Rosalia they should also be contacted. This isn't the first kind of extortion or 'shady actions' associated with that particular area.

Local Movers and Shakers, you know who you are (and I know a few of you). Time to open the gates and bring in the Big Guns to stop the free reign of corrupted power (however small it is). I'd hate to see this stretch become the next Ciudad Constitution of shakedowns and mordida. Time to get the rotten fish out of the barrel pronto before the rest of the batch gets tainted by the smell. I used to know the Comandante and his Adjutant of that particular Infantaria Unit... but I hear they've changed. Wish I could help. I do know you can stop at the front gate and ask admittance to speak personally with El Comandante. I recommend it.
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:37 PM

Very sad situation. I hope they are able to get some traction with the authorities.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 09:40 PM

How come we only hear about this now - a month after the incident?
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 10:23 PM

Kevind-- thank you for posting such a detailed account of this. Seems to raise many questions,like who, and why, why, why??? This may change travel plans (mine), or maybe not. But it sure makes me not fault those who come on these boards and ask for a caravan partner.
Thoughts and prayers to the victims. What a nightmare.

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 10:40 PM

A few years ago, I was travelling with another couple, and after I cleared a checkpoint, I pulled up about 100 yards past the checkpoint to wait for our friends. Immediately, two military guys ran up with their automatic rifles pointed at us and told us to move on. I did, but only around the corner to a wide spot. The reason being is that the other couple were newbies, and I didn't want to get too far ahead of them.
Travelling together now takes on a whole new meaning.....

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by KasloKid]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 11:27 PM

So some of the soldiers at the san Ignacio military checkpoint have staged at least 3 highway robberies/car jackings/kidnappings...
Why does the Mexican govt allow this continue?
Can't be good PR for Mexico and Baja when the fed soldiers are going rogue in Baja, raining terror down on tourists, in one of Mexico's few remaining stable tourism zones,...

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2016 at 11:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
So some of the soldiers at the san Ignacio military checkpoint have staged at least 3 highway robberies/car jackings/kidnappings...
Can't be good PR for Mexico and Baja when the fed soldiers are going rogue in Baja, raining terror down on tourists, in one of Mexico's few remaining stable tourism zones,...

...perhaps the Mex authorities haven't read this thread yet. :O

.......seems the only place the news has 'broken'.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

A better question to ask if you actually believe the OP's second hand story he says he heard about, and now is asking about a month later?

Another question to ask is why is he even asking?

In fact all the OP's posts are rather a little strange, and all his post start off the same:

Does anyone know..........

I guess it's a small world, because the second poster, with 22 posts under his belt, which most of them have been deleted. Well he happens to have a son who is close friends with the 16 year old girl this happened to, and he has all the details, and lays it all out for us. However, at the end of his story he says, "this is not open to debate, " and so you shouldn't ask him any questions. I have to admit I find that rather odd being so defensive before any questions were asked.

Maybe it's just me, but I find both posts, and their posting history rather strange and similar in a few ways.

Of course I treat everything I read with a grain of salt, and would wait for confirmation of this story from newspapers or known sources within the Baja community that could verify the report.

What I wouldn't do is start to panic.

And as always be careful wherever you go in Mexico or the USA for that matter.

tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 05:51 AM

I call BS on this story..............would of made news the day of it happening.....please prove it and I will roll over and beg for my BS claim, but it would have made a lot more news. Especially with those severe injuries the husband suffered. If true, I hope this family steps up and gets media involved ASAP. Media Attention is the only thing that puts a light on corruption
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 05:54 AM

Yikes! Good advice from prior posts. Travel in groups, and don't get too far apart. Walkie talkies are also a good idea, since cell service is so spotty.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:30 AM

I searched back to December in BCS Noticias, El Sudcaliforniano, and Colectivo Pericu and couldn't find anything about this event. Not to say it didn't happen, but these news outlets report some pretty minor incidents, you'd think this would have been big news.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
I call BS on this story..............would of made news the day of it happening.....please prove it and I will roll over and beg for my BS claim, but it would have made a lot more news. Especially with those severe injuries the husband suffered. If true, I hope this family steps up and gets media involved ASAP. Media Attention is the only thing that puts a light on corruption

Hmmmm,... Could be bs yarns by a hate club member playing with his false IDs,... The story is consistent with certain whack jobs that post on a board that shall not be named...
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 07:52 AM

The story does sound a little suspect but down here the Gov. constantly covers up any bad news that has to do with tourism.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.