Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11
Author: Subject: Carjacking
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I searched back to December in BCS Noticias, El Sudcaliforniano, and Colectivo Pericu and couldn't find anything about this event. Not to say it didn't happen, but these news outlets report some pretty minor incidents, you'd think this would have been big news.

I did the same thing and didn't find anything.

Perhaps the American Consulate people know about it.

Two odd things. The bad guys weren't interested in money when offered to them and one of them was an army guy in uniform.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:33 AM

Remember the incident in my July 2015 trip report? San Ignacio checkpoint... in 50 years of Mexico travel the first and only time trying to accuse me of having marijuana and then taking a cigarette lighter flame to some particle on my floor mat and saying it was marijuana. Never had a soldier/ officer(?) act so unprofessional or insulting. In fact, they have always been a joy and fun exchange on our trips.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:35 AM

please Lord, let it be a fake story. I am going to investigate today.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:44 AM

The story was posted on the Fulano forum at 8:34 pm with a screenshot that includes the first three posts only. At that time, several other posts had already been made, and kevind had edited his original post. Oddly, the only edit I could see him make was to change "wonder" to "wonderful." Oddly, the posters reference the boat type by name in initial caps several times. The story is also oddly detailed in many places ("left temple" "left window").
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I searched back to December in BCS Noticias, El Sudcaliforniano, and Colectivo Pericu and couldn't find anything about this event. Not to say it didn't happen, but these news outlets report some pretty minor incidents, you'd think this would have been big news.

I did the same thing and didn't find anything.

Perhaps the American Consulate people know about it.

Two odd things. The bad guys weren't interested in money when offered to them and one of them was an army guy in uniform.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by SFandH]

Nothing odd about violence without robbery motive, it happens every minute of every day.
Nothing odd about military people being criminals. It's a common theme in Mexico. And every country, USA included (high level USA officers are crooked too, just look at recent fat Leonard case, camp Pendleton godfather case, etc.; and rape in military is common, USA DOD branches all have problems with it, it's too common)
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:00 AM

You'd think it would be massively big news in Bend, Oregon and all over the U.S. The Lord knows the media loves stories about bad things happening in Mexico.

I recently went through the San Ignacio check point going north. I had forgotten a bunch of pesos in the back pocket of the passenger side front seat. The guy doing the "revision" pointed it out to me and told me to not leave it there, suggesting it might disappear.
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:30 AM

Is it just me or is it really a coincidence that the original post on this thread is dated on Friday Feb. 5, and that last Thursday we saw dozens of snowbirds hauling their rigs south across the San Ysidro border.... are these "newbies" just trying to stirr things up? I think it's all BS....!!! No first hand info... come on.... a month later on a situation like this...? Not even Colectivo Pericú (a susidiary of Tijuana's Zeta) mentioned any of these happenings.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

I was thinking that there must be some Nomads with their ears close to the ground in that area that could get more intel about this possibility.

Sometimes we are quick to believe stuff we read.

Remember....."Don't believe everything you think !"

Staying tuned....

Don't believe everything you think....
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevind  
I am not open to debate about what I report here.
[Edited on 2-6-2016 by kevind]

bwhahahaha ... good one!

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by bezzell]
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 09:57 AM

Double post.

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by BigBearRider]
michaelw

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:13 AM
carjacking JoeJustJoe

JoeJust Joe
I am the original poster to whom you refer in your post. I, indeed, heard this story from kevind and, afterword, wrote my original post to try and obtain further information/corroboration regarding the story. kevind, subsequent to that, chose to post the detailed version he had directly from the father involved in it.

Instead of offering anything constructive you choose to question both kevind and my credibility and previous posts. Anyone looking at my posts will see that they reflect the interests of an individual who has been going to Baja since 1972, has a home in Baja since 1990, and has traveled extensively in the more remote parts of the peninsula.

I have no interest in promoting hysteria or paranoia but simply want any information that will either corroborate or disprove this story. Instead of writing posts that basically question both kevind's and my integrity why not seek out information that will leave all of us in a better position regarding travel in Baja. I will be driving down the peninsula in 3 days and am always happy to have the most current updates from other travelers.

Focus on truth instead of personal attacks and we'll all be better prepared.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:26 AM

Michael why is there nothing in the Bend, OR newspaper about this? Someone with that kind of beating should have reported it to the US authorities and news outlets.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Michael why is there nothing in the Bend, OR newspaper about this? Someone with that kind of beating should have reported it to the US authorities and news outlets.

Makes sense that the govt of Mexico (fed, state and local) would cover up the deeds of their soldiers.
Makes sense why a gringo may desire to maintain their privacy and not publicize their tale,... And if the victims plan to return to Baja, makes little sense to get on the wrong side of the govt by publicizing the bad apples in the govt
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:02 AM

just wondering, is the "the steep, circuitous pass" the one at Tres Virgines or Cuesta del Infierno?

If Tres Virgines, it is a 30+ minute drive with a Hobie in tow. They did not wonder where their friends were until then?

If Custa del Infinerno, it is a 50+ minutes drive. They did not wonder where their friends were until then?

Smashing the fibula with a hammer is possible, but unlikely. More likely it is the exposed tibia. And most of us would say shin bone and not use some doctor talk.

the story has a strong smell

they hospital staff in Santa Rosalia could possibly confirm. Anyone close by?

[Edited on 2-6-2016 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Hmmmm,... Could be bs yarns by a hate club member playing with his false IDs,... The story is consistent with certain whack jobs that post on a board that shall not be named...

These seem to be - from my standpoint - legit posts by legit users.

fyi

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  

Let us know what you find out Blanca, please. Best to check with any connections you might have with either the PFC and/or the local MP. It does seem weird that there is absolutely nothing at all in the press about this but at the same time, that is a rather remote area down there and if the victims didn't have any local connections, it may simply never have reached the ears of the local press.

Just reading the story made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I know all too well the terror they felt...

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 11:41 AM
anywhere on the planet

First is always stay/be aware of any and all around you.. And a thin mason stye glass jar 3/4 full of gas with 3 pointee rocks in side of the jar with a marine flare gun will stop many bad guys..So sorry that this has happened,, let alone at least 3 times is a BIG,BIG issue:no:
kevind
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:51 PM

Greetings,
When I first posted my account of what the father of the family told me, I did so with only one purpose: to share the story in the interest of safety. No underlying sinister hate motive as one of you has implied. Ask yourselves: why would anyone make-up a story like this? What would the motive be? I called the father this morning and spoke to he and the mother both. They have also combed through the obvious places that this should have been reported and have found nothing. This has fueled their concern. They have chosen not to write to local papers out of concern for their safety. Individuals from 3 different agencies: Federales, St. Rosalia Police and another agency took photos of their drivers license and other documents with their home address etc. The father had never heard of Baja Nomad so that is why he did not post. After reading the vitriolic/accusatory response to MikeW and my posts the father is less than enthusiastic about posting now and I do not blame him. By the way I was incorrect it was in fact his "Tibia" that was shattered by the hammer blow. Sorry about the Doctor Speak Harald. Now to continue with my original intentions which is to inform. The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kevind  
.... The family has sent me numerous images of the dad's injuries as well as photos the took while revisiting the site of the attack with the police. Would someone please instruct me in how to upload. With Respect.Kevin

Thank you for sharing the story. On the Internet, anything and anyone can say things. So understand that and know that for every person who is rude here, a few dozen are decent and good folks interested in reading and seeing what you have posted.

As for seeing, I posted the steps on how to add photos here and it is the top post in the Nomad Photo Gallery forum: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=65085

If the file size isn't too big (250 kb max), you can use the Attachment feature, located just below where you type posts>>>

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-6-2016 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by michaelw  
JoeJust Joe
I am the original poster to whom you refer in your post. I, indeed, heard this story from kevind and, afterword, wrote my original post to try and obtain further information/corroboration regarding the story. kevind, subsequent to that, chose to post the detailed version he had directly from the father involved in it.

Instead of offering anything constructive you choose to question both kevind and my credibility and previous posts. Anyone looking at my posts will see that they reflect the interests of an individual who has been going to Baja since 1972, has a home in Baja since 1990, and has traveled extensively in the more remote parts of the peninsula.

I have no interest in promoting hysteria or paranoia but simply want any information that will either corroborate or disprove this story. Instead of writing posts that basically question both kevind's and my integrity why not seek out information that will leave all of us in a better position regarding travel in Baja. I will be driving down the peninsula in 3 days and am always happy to have the most current updates from other travelers.

Focus on truth instead of personal attacks and we'll all be better prepared.

Michael, how do you know Kevind?

You both been members of "Baja Nomad" for many years, but both of you have only have made a handful of posts, and both of you guys made you last posts in 2014, until this alleged incident in Santa Rosalia, which hints of a brutal gang rape according to Kevind's second hand report. And also according to Kevind's second hand report, there have been two other similar incidents in the area.

I'm sorry, but call me skeptical, because I have lots of questions, but Kevind has closed off any possible questions or debate about this alleged incident.

What also jumps out at me, is why there isn't any local news reports of this alleged incident? Now it's true, many news stories don't make there way to US or Canada news outlets, but these stories are often often in the local Mexican stories, and when these stories make their way to Canada, they become big new stories!

Michael, from your second post here, it's obvious that you and Kevind, discussed this story because you started asking questions about a 3rd hand report you heard about.

I also find it a little odd that Kevind, didn't mention it was him that first told you about this alleged incident.

You Michael, seem a little defensive that's I'm questioning your 3rd hand report, but from reading your post here, it looks like you're also questioning the report too, because you're asking for verification of the report from other "Nomad" members. I'm assuming this, because you could have wrote the same story Kevind, wrote from a 3rd hand perspective.

I agree with you that the focus should be on improving travel safety in Baja, but at the same time, I can't just believe any story I hear without collaboration from a news source, or trusted source with a long track record. I'm sorry Michael, but you and Kevind, really don't have a track record on this site. Keeping posting, and get that track record.

Maybe you don't know this, but there are forces out there that hate Mexico, and they hate Mexicans! These "haters" and there are many out there, will focus on news stories like you're putting out there to discourage Americans from traveling to Mexico, under the guise of keeping Americans safe, but they actually think they are hurting Mexico tourism.

There are also a whole host of Americans on travel boards, that may have had a bad experience in Mexico, and now make it their agenda to not only discourage travel to a certain hotel, but to also keep away from a certain Mexico city.

Of course there are legitimate complaints on travel boards, and I'm also talking about a small minority of Baja haters out there, but the small percentage of Baja, are determined and seem to have a lot of time on their hands.

As always believe what you want, but from my experience most stories on forums, and travel boards are slanted one way or another, and many are pure BS, with an anti-Mexico agenda.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.