BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 2016 San Felipe 250 Map and today's Live Tracking link!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-13-2016 at 11:08 AM

dt your son has the fever and it's hard to get rid of it. I know I had it too for several years. First racing then sponsoring a team. Only in the last few years have I been able to not go to a SCORE race by choice.

The adrenalin rush, the smell of gas, the competition, the prep, the pre-run, contingency and the comradery all factor in and you never want to let it go. After a long hard race when you are dirty and sweaty and wore out, it's the best feeling in the world.
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 06:28 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking I'd head out from Ensenada for San Felipe on Sunday morning (28th). I like to cut south through Laguna Diablo bit o guess that's not a good idea given the race. Then again, maybe I could drive put there and spectate without getting in anyone's way? I've never seen one of the races.

Will san Felipe be full up that night? I usually stay at el Capitan.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 06:41 PM

Race is run on Saturday.. Sunday should be fine..

Town clears out Sunday morning.. back to the border...

[Edited on 2-20-2016 by LaTijereta]

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 06:41 PM

The race is over on the 28th (that would be trophy presentation day).
If you want to see the action, get to a spot along the course Friday PM (26th). The race is all day Saturday (motos first, then a few hour break before the four wheeled racers start).

Once the race has passed (and it may be hours) you should leave on a non-race road or only in the direction of the racers in case of any who have broken down, then got fixed and think they are still in the running.

Yes, all hotels are full (typically)... But that would be through Sunday morning.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:44 PM

I will be at RM112 then RM200. If you see the black COPS Tacoma, come up to me and say really fast: "steeker steeker steeker steeker!!" and I'll reward you with a much-coveted COPS steeker. Bonus: jump up and down while saying that, and I'll give you an extra steeker.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
dt your son has the fever and it's hard to get rid of it. I know I had it too for several years. First racing then sponsoring a team. Only in the last few years have I been able to not go to a SCORE race by choice.

The adrenalin rush, the smell of gas, the competition, the prep, the pre-run, contingency and the comradery all factor in and you never want to let it go. After a long hard race when you are dirty and sweaty and wore out, it's the best feeling in the world.

You're right TW, he caught it first when he was 13, I supported his addiction until he went to college then I caught it....I guess I had it all along in support of his efforts but it didn't manifest itself until I didn't have anything to do at the races. I slid rapidly down the slippery slope of desert racing and my friends couldn't do anything to stop me.....probably because they were addicted too.

My son didn't ride much for the first few years after college but eventually, like a crackhead drawn to the pipe, he started hitting the Bel Ray again. I tried to stop him, I pleaded with him "Look at me! is this how you want to end up!?!".....it didn't matter, he was too far gone.

I quit racing competitively in 2007 after the Baja 1000, got my picture with Sal Fish at the finish line, bucket list entry complete. Unfortunately it hasn't gone well for my son, he has slipped further and further into the abyss. I think he is lost, all I can do is be there for him and support him through this ordeal.

I was able to kick the racing habit....oh I know, I haven't really gotten it out of my system. I still ride regularly but canceled my Dirt Rider subscription long ago. I still break out in a sweat when I see arrows stapled to a fence post or ribbon tied to a bush, I guess you could call me a functioning, recovering, raceaholic.

I'm heading to San Felipe tomorrow to help the team with prerunning and the race. It will be fun to hang out with the guys and spend some quality time with my son. On race day I will fight off the nausea when Chad is on the bike, it is the longest few hours of my life. To be competitive at the pro level you have to be willing to go at speeds that can hurt you all the way to dead in the blink of an eye, I wish he would stop doing that....

We typically have had all the friendly camaraderie we can tolerate by the time race day rolls around and usually have everything loaded and ready to head North (South for me) as soon as we cross the finish line and do the photo op. If all goes as planned I will spend Saturday night in Guerrero Negro on my way home.

I'm glad they cancelled the 500 Sur, one less opportunity to get it wrong......

[Edited on 2-20-2016 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2016 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The race is over on the 28th (that would be trophy presentation day).
If you want to see the action, get to a spot along the course Friday PM (26th). The race is all day Saturday (motos first, then a few hour break before the four wheeled racers start).

We'll be leaving Sacramento on the morning of the 27th so doesn't look like I could get to SF in time for the race but looks like plan a is still good - if i find any broken down racers in the desert on Sunday I'll hand over a beer.

Go fast and have fun y'all.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 2-20-2016 at 11:43 AM

Drove down hwy 3 friday morning from valle t to el Chinero and didn't see a single vehicle prerunning the course. Not even any dust. I hope this isn't an indication of the level of participation.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2016 at 08:00 PM

They only have about 130 entries with about 30 bikes/ATVs. It ain't what it use to be. Hopefully more will come.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 12:13 AM

Roger Norman is no Sal Fish or Mickey Thompson! Too bad, specially for the two wheeled racers.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 11:00 AM

Today's Race Live Tracking: http://www.score-international.com/tracking/

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 11:21 AM

By-the-way, BajaGeoff is with Team Bike 301x

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 11:57 AM

1x for the win......anyone surprised?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 12:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
1x for the win......anyone surprised?

Same as always...........

4X was on a Honda. Guess Kawi ain't paying their bills.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 10:58 AM
Race viewing report

Well - the zoo and powerline event has been exaggerated. We were are RM7-8 and stayed for the spec trucks then drove to RM 78 at Morelia junction. The crowd was bigger than ever at both locations and for sure pretty well behaved with no known incidents with the crowd. The order did not change much at RM 78 from RM 7 and the spec trucks were late so we departed and drove to RM 178 and the leaders has already passed. I was surprised because I took all the shortcuts to get there. So since we missed the leaders we drove to Rm 235 and waited and waited. Finally we gave up and went home after 4-TTs, 4-C1s, and 4-10s. BTW, the time gap between the first, #15 and the 2nd TT, #98 was huge. Never seen that kind of gap in the past.
Then I had to find my way thru Los Arcos to get north. Not an east route due to finding the correct road thru the housing area. I really should do it over and make a proper GPS track. My friends used the highway and it took over an hour to get past the arches and we were home by then.
The drive from Zoo/powerline to Morelia junction was dicey but no issues were noticed. The safe way is to get behind a big chase truck and just follow. That will avoid any trailblazing in the dust. Of course they go fast which some would not like. Later in the day there was a head on collision at Morelia junction caused by dust and involving non racers. All parties walked away with unreported injuries.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 01:57 PM

thanks for the report! so what was the deal with the score official getting run over shortly after the start?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 02:54 PM

I only know what I read on the web. Jose Grivalda is the head guy responsible for the course details and he said he was not paying attention and a racer hit him. Happened north of the start on the highway just before the left turn onto the dirt. He is in the hospital and it sounds like he will be ok???

This year the insurance people decided to have out bound racers on the north Hwy lane and inbound racers using the south bound lane. Curious he was even at that location unless he did not realize the race had started?? The marking at the start/finish is done at the last minute Maybe he was checking it out???
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 03:38 PM

Udall got a 10 minute penalty and almost lost to 4X because of it.

He still won by three minutes though.

Close race.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2016 at 08:22 PM

Quoting a guy on race dezert
"I was at race mile 175 for the bikes on through. Saw the 4x come through first. Never saw the 1x come through there. Saw his dust miles away cutting the course. Can't believe they on;y gave them 10 minutes for that cut. He was behind the 4x at the time. I think ha saved more than 10 minutes and leaders dust after that. By the way, the #2 through #6 bikes that should have come through rm 175 all took that short cut.
#rather lose with integrity than win by cheating..."
==============
Same old story Bike riders cheat to win. Been that way long before the trackers, but even worse back then.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-29-2016 at 08:44 AM

SF 250 results
http://score-international.com/sf250-2016-results/sf250-2016...
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.