BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 03:33 PM
TRAVEL WARNING ROSARITO/LA PAZ

JUST PASSING INFO

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

POSTED IN THE L.A. TIMES SUNDAY

Mexican states a mixed bag

Mexico has a renewed State Department warning, issued Jan. 19, that again considers the country by state. Some are fine; others come with strong warnings. Of special interest to Southern Californians: Baja California, which includes Tijuana and Rosarito.
Both places experienced an "increase in homicide rates from January to October" of last year, but the warning notes that this is criminal activity, not random street crime, although some incidents have happened in places that U.S. tourists go.
Also on the caution list: La Paz in Baja California Sur, which "registered its highest homicide rate ever as of October 2015," and there has been "an increase in public acts of violence between rival criminal organizations."
Mexico was also cited in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as one of the areas where the Zika virus has been found.
This mostly mosquito-borne virus is not fatal, but it has been linked to a serious birth defect.
The World Health Organization last week labeled Zika as a public health emergency and has used the word "explosively" to describe its spread through the Americas.
Info: State Department warning: www.lat.ms/1nZX0E8; CDC and Zika: www.lat.ms/1TxMmRb

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2016 at 03:42 PM

Thanks for the info/update. We will continue to go to our place in Rosarito, but a heads up is always appreciated.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2016 at 05:46 PM

All I know is that even at the height of the so-called cartel onslaught that left bodies hanging from bridges in TJ, we traveled unfettered all the length of the peninsula and never felt unsafe.

Not sure why Rat was posting this, because it may only dampen enthusiasm for folks to drive Baja.

Zika virus is already in the US. So?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-10-2016 at 07:18 AM
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 03:06 PM
Feelings...........Nothing more than Feelings

The problem with feeling safe is that MOST victims felt safe just before things went South.
Highwayman

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 03:56 PM

Borderlandbeat.com News article today regarding cartel actvitity in Baja.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 04:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
The problem with feeling safe is that MOST victims felt safe just before things went South.

ain't that the truth.....:(

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 05:05 PM

My concern is with an accident, just the driving
in Mex. Not any physical assault. Never have seen stats
to support such a fear. I do get annoyed with the
continual US comparison, pointless, on the other hand the painting of
Baja as some place where nothing negative will ever befall
a visitor

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 05:31 PM

We find if we sneak out in the early AM before the criminals get up we can make it down to the Bravo market and back unscathed. This plan has worked for several days now.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 05:45 PM

Come on. The vast majority of posters on this website either live in Baja or travel Baja very frequently. So, where are you when someone posts a discouraging message?
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 06:47 PM

On Monday the 1st of February the struggle between cells of the Sinaloa Cartel and the Arellano Felix Organization ignited in Baja California Sur, after the assassination of Martin Anaya Gorosave "El Taliban".

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2016/02/sinaloa-vs-caf-new-bat...

Yes, I admit that I'm not in Baja currently, this is still a concern.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 07:02 PM

Carjackings, 3 people dead from automatic weapon fire, yes lets ignore any warnings. Come on down and feed our criminals.

When are people going to wake up and heed the warnings.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 05:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Carjackings, 3 people dead from automatic weapon fire, yes lets ignore any warnings. Come on down and feed our criminals.

When are people going to wake up and heed the warnings.

And stop traveling to Baja?:?:
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2016 at 11:35 PM

Oh, please. I'll start getting worried when the state department issues travel warning about Ferginson, Mo. I've (and a lot of us have traveled the world, and no place is ever truly safe). Keep ones eyes opened keep your wits about yourself and you'll be as safe in Baja as anywhere.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.