Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexico Auto Insurance Question
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 10:20 AM
Mexico Auto Insurance Question

I am searching to do a renewal on my auto insurance. I normally get full coverage, but because I am looking at a different car I may start using I am shopping for a DL policy

I came across a company AMMEX http://www.ammexinsurance.com/

Anyone used them?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 11:27 AM

Have you looked at www.bajabound.com?

[Edited on 2-10-2016 by tjsue]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 11:45 AM

I have been with bajabound for years, but they have become the highest price between Lewis and Lewis, AMMEX and other companies.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 12:07 PM

All these guys are brokers for the same 2 or 3 Mex insurance companies. Annual DL policy with Bajabound starts from $120. Ammex are claiming "25-40% lower rate" - somehow I doubt it will be 40% :)
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 12:14 PM

I looked at their site, didn't go further as it looks like you have
to set up an account. Like their claim to be cheaper than well
known competitors. I'm no expert, but I never see any noticeable price in the few major Mex Ins Co's, or the US
brokers, that is for the exact same coverage. It shows the 2 Ins Co's I would deal with, Genworth,
which I believe is HDI, and ACE. I think most offer the Drivers Lic policy, which is liability?
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 12:50 PM

CortezBlue,

The rates have not changed, however options for higher liability limits were added when the Mexican liability law changed a few years back. Previous to the law change, many of our policies offered $50,000 in liability coverage. After the law change, most of the underwriters industry wide began recommending getting at least $300,000 in liability. However, you can still get the $50,000 in coverage if you wish. Here is additional information about the law change: https://www.bajabound.com/info/federallaw.php

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

I came across a company AMMEX http://www.ammexinsurance.com/

Anyone used them?

That site appears to have been setup in 2008, and not updated since 2009.

The boat and vehicle insurance "quote" links are affiliate marketing links (see the "aff_id=9067" in the link address?) - they send you to an agency and get paid a commission for providing the potential buyer. Nowadays the links avoid making it that obvious that they're affiliate marketing links - so it seems to be quite outdated.

The home insurance contact mechanism is simply to send an email to them.

The claims links seem to be outdated links to mex pro - who is perhaps the actual agency paying the affiliate commission (?).

The site appears to belong to Brian Krupski out of Phoenix, per the WHOIS **public** information on the domain:

Domain Name: AMMEXINSURANCE.COM
Creation Date: 2008-06-11T03:04:50Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-06-11T03:04:50Z
Registrant Name: Brian Krupski
Registrant Organization: Ammex Global Assurance
Registrant Street: 7972 E Beck Ln
Registrant City: Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province: Arizona
Registrant Postal Code: 85260
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.6027937737
Registrant Email: briankrupski@msn.com

http://www.regionalinternet.com/whois.php?domain=ammexinsura...

Brian's LinkedIn page has no indication of this being his main line of business, or his main profession - and thus looks to be a sideline source of affiliate income for him - there seems to be no mention of it at all, in fact. He worked for the Tempe Chamber of Commerce at the time the site was created:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/bkrupski

Caveat Emptor

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 01:02 PM

AMMEX doesn't have DL policy either

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGeoff  
CortezBlue,

The rates have not changed, however options for higher liability limits were added when the Mexican liability law changed a few years back. Previous to the law change, many of our policies offered $50,000 in liability coverage. After the law change, most of the underwriters industry wide began recommending getting at least $300,000 in liability. However, you can still get the $50,000 in coverage if you wish. Here is additional information about the law change: https://www.bajabound.com/info/federallaw.php

Those changes happened a few years ago, nothing new

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 05:52 PM

I don't remember, but I "think" 2 years ago I paid the same $120-something for a liability-only DL policy with Bajabound as they're quoting today. Like guys said, set the amount of coverage to minimum if you want lower price.
Yes, I don't see DL policy on Ammex site - it was you who wanted to buy it from Ammex, not me ;)
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
I don't remember, but I "think" 2 years ago I paid the same $120-something for a liability-only DL policy with Bajabound as they're quoting today. Like guys said, set the amount of coverage to minimum if you want lower price.
Yes, I don't see DL policy on Ammex site - it was you who wanted to buy it from Ammex, not me ;)

Magoo get your glasses on.:O
Try $252 for DL policy at Bajabound

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 06:44 PM

Makes business sense that the insurance company would recommend $300,000 vs $50,000 coverage. Classic upsell.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  
Makes business sense that the insurance company would recommend $300,000 vs $50,000 coverage. Classic upsell.

Nope, state requirements changed a few years ago. 300K is the required amount to CYA

If you don't go to baja a bunch, it is very simple. If you get in an accident and don't have the proper coverage you and your vehicle are held until you can prove that you can cover the accident.
Having 50K coverage, you might as well forgo insurance all together.

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 08:45 PM

You must've skipped those reading classes in elementary school. Or - too much tequila.

Ok, I'll have a mercy on you, send me your $252, I'll buy you annual DL from Bajabound, it starts from $127 :)

[Edited on 2-11-2016 by Alm]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 09:26 PM

If you get in an accident and don't have the proper coverage you and your vehicle are held until you can prove that you can cover the accident.
Having 50K coverage, you might as well forgo insurance all together.

With you on that, don't know about required/recommended
amount, but I don't think too many of us would like to find
out after an accident that our policy was woefully inadequate.
Like carrying a $50,000 policy with $200,000 damage,
improbable,yes, impossible no.
Was at the border Ins Kiosk near the parking lot at
the beginning of the outlet mall getting pesos, noticed their
policies carry $500 000 csl, excessive? or not
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2016 at 09:52 PM

Sancho, there is no required amount of coverage. Buy 50K or buy 500K - whatever you are comfortable with. In state of Baja and BCS they don't "require" you to have any Mex insurance. But I prefer to carry one.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 01:20 PM

Sancho, there is no required amount of coverage. Buy 50K or buy 500K - whatever you are comfortable with. In state of Baja and BCS they don't "require" you to have any Mex insurance. But I prefer to carry one.

I could not disagree more with your post, a couple yrs back, my understanding is it became mandatory for Mex National plated
vehicles in Baja to be insured ad well as tourists, enforceable? That is another matter. To feel comfortable with a $50,000 Mex Auto policy, one has to be a
total newbie, uninformed or delusional, to suggest that carrying that amount is adequate is incorrect. To try save $20 on a low coverage policy is reckless
Mandatory as of Jan 1, 2012 ALL vehicles in Baja required
to have Ins

[Edited on 2-11-2016 by sancho]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 05:59 PM

It is true that buying Mexican insurance in the US can only be done by contacting California excess brokers such as bajabound or Lewis and Lewis.

With great respect to Geoff, I was suggest looking for brokers who may be attached to more than 2 or 3 carriers.

A suggestion is Mexadventure.com. In the past, I found that the offered more carrier options than Bajabound.

Not to diss Geoff, just saying that regardless of the broker, the number of options of carriers does make a difference.

That said, the relationship between broker and carrier is probbaly the most important consideration.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 07:11 PM

I like BajaBound and still recommend them but a year or so ago they stopped offering motorcycle coverage on their DL policies. They were nice enough to refer me to MexPro where I was able to get a DL policy with MC coverage. As I have full coverage on my trucks, the MC coverage was what I was primarily looking for.

I was be able to get a discount but getting our auto and homeowner insurance from the same company. Didn't apply to the DL policy though.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2016 at 08:26 PM

You must've skipped those reading classes in elementary school. Or - too much tequila.

Ok, I'll have a mercy on you, send me your $252, I'll buy you annual DL from Bajabound, it starts from $127 :)

[Edited on 2-11-2016 by Alm]

I think you broke your calculator

127 only covers you for 50K. If you cant prove you have 300K, you are wasting your time. You might as well not pay for the insurance.

252 is for the current legal amount. Otherwise you are peeing your pesos away

- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.