BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cell phone in San Diego and Baja?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 10:48 AM
Cell phone in San Diego and Baja?

I don't own a cell phone and have almost no experience with them. I now need a phone that will work here in San Diego and when I cross the border into Baja. Hopefully a phone that will just work without having to punch in any codes or make any notifications. Does a phone like that exist? I don't need a smart phone, the damn things are smarter than I am and I can't even figure out how to answer the things.
thanks,
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 10:53 AM

They all work like that. ATT has the best coverage but T Mobile has the best plan. Figure every town with a traffic light has coverage. Not much coverage in the desert regions.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 10:55 AM

Since you are online in Baja start looking around at Majic Jack and other low cost options that do not require a cell phone.

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 11:08 AM

Coverage-wise, T-Mobile was only so-so when it uses Movistar as a carrier in BCS, but was great when using Telcel's network. The plan is quite good for both voice and data.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 11:18 AM

If you will be using more in Mexico than NOB, TelCell flip phone, (Nokia), at any TelCell store. 300 to 500 pesos, includes 200 peso airtime. Better coverage by far than Movistar now. Register on the Amigo Sin Fronteras plan. .98 centavos per minute, (about 5 cents) calls to US & Canada, & long distance within Mexico. No commitment, no contract, pay on balance most corner grocery stores, OXXOs, etc...
Cell service anywhere it exists in Mexico for At&T, Verizon, and then some.
Works fine in San Diego. Airtime balance re-chargeable online as well.
No, I don't work for Carlos Slim.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 12:09 PM

I use a Kyocera Dura XT a new flip phone from AT&T. And the Viva MX plan, Movistar SOB. No problems coverage most places. Replaced a Rugby II best flip phone I've ever had.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 12:34 PM

I have a simple T Mobile flip phone that I buy a card for as needed. I got mine at Walmart for like $29. The card cost in different amounts I usually get a $100 card every 8-9 months. Usage charge is 9 cents per minute in the US and $1.15 in Baja. Mine does not work in San Ignacio for some reason, I see a cell signal but no service, pretty much works everywhere else.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 03:50 PM

I use an ATT GoPhone that I bought at Walmart in Anchorage for under thirty dollars, with no contract. I then add time as needed ($25 gives me 90 days), and you pick which area code in the US that you want for your number based in.

Calls in the US cost ten cents per minute, or portion of one. Calls in Mexico use the Telcell network, and cost twenty five cents US. Calls from the US to your phone don't require any extra cost to the the caller, and they would just use the same number as if you were still north of the border.

The phone will also work in Canada, but I think it is even more expensive there than in Mexico. My only complaint is that I frequently wind up getting dinged for more time than I actually used, and some strange texts from numbers I never heard of have occasionally been charged to my time.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 04:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I don't own a cell phone and have almost no experience with them. I now need a phone that will work here in San Diego and when I cross the border into Baja. Hopefully a phone that will just work without having to punch in any codes or make any notifications. Does a phone like that exist? I don't need a smart phone, the damn things are smarter than I am and I can't even figure out how to answer the things.
thanks,
Larry

I recommend 2 phones. In usa i have my fancy smart phone. In mex i have a cheapy kyocera candybar phone with a pay-as-you-go deal where i add money periodically. Cheaper approach than paying for intl roaming rates
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

I recommend 2 phones. In usa i have my fancy smart phone. In mex i have a cheapy kyocera candybar phone with a pay-as-you-go deal where i add money periodically. Cheaper approach than paying for intl roaming rates

I bring 2 phones too, but not so much because of the roaming rates, since Google Fi (like T-Mobile) doesn't charge them. I carry a cheap phone with a Telcel SIMM so that my Mexican friends only have to make a local call to reach me. I use the U.S. phone for calls to and from the U.S. and for data.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 04:53 PM

I am a DirecTV subscriber and currently have TMobile for phone. We are in AZ and San Felipe

So this weekend I went through the exercise to, possible, change to ATT.

BAM, it is EXPENSIVE. I pay $100 per month for 2 smart phones with unlimited high speed internet. At first when we traveled down to San Felipe all we could get is Movistar and as someone else mentioned, it sucked. But now we get Telcel all over Mexico. So we have internet at our home and TMobile has a built in VOIP plan app on the phone. So when we are at the casa we turn on the WiFI based phone and when we leave it automatically switches over to Telcel. 2g or 3g speed is free in Mexico, but I do have to pay $.20 per minute if I use the phone, but that is worth it for me for the difference of what ATT wanted.
TMobile, does not have the best service in the states, but it has improved drastically over the past year. I have been from St.John's Virgin Islands to the San Juan Islands of the coast of Canada and I never paid a nickel more for service. Also, no contract, that is great!!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 05:04 PM

Thanks everyone I think I have it figured out. I only need the phone for while I'm on the road since there is no cell service in BoLA. When in Bola I use magicjack on my Exede system.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
jecapl5599

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 06:07 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm planning on bringing my old iphone 4 and getting a new sim for it in TJ. I have a telcel candy bar phone, but would like the smart phone for the maps and reading your posts.

Does that all make sense for a week in Baja heading to Ojo de Liebre?
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 07:29 PM

My suggestion , buy an unlocked dual sim phone

I experimented with ATT, Tmobile , Metropcs, then back to Tmobile

TMobile , when connected to TELCEL , worked the best hands down, but where I'm at currently , it is not working unless I'm in town. Bee..n down for 3 weeks

The reason I like Tmobile is that it is seamless , no codes , no roaming settings or charges , just service. Use like you always do.

.....Except for right now , it's paired with Movistar and service is scetchy , Data non exsisitant

My problem at the moment , I'm using an unlocked ATT S4 and with all their permanent BS bloatware installed , makes the phone inflexable.

Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 08:07 PM

ATT has a plan now if you are on their US share plan. No roaming charges in Mexico and 1 go of data / month. Just call and gave them add it. Many nomads have taken advantage of this NEW plan. All created to be more competitive w/ T mobile
KaceyJ
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 08:47 PM

ATT has too many limits , twists , plans ,additional charges and intentional confusion and thresholds to keep track of

Buy a plan with Tmobile , no contract ,see if it works for you in your area and you''ll be ahead

Simple, and once again, seamless.
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 09:27 PM

ATT has a plan now if you are on their US share plan. No roaming charges in Mexico and 1 go of data / month. Just call and gave them add it. Many nomads have taken advantage of this NEW plan. All created to be more competitive w/ T mobile
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-15-2016 at 09:40 PM

I don't use text or data features much, not at all if I can help it, so the no contract ATT Go-phone works for me.

Because of the miserable experience I have had with ATT/Direct TV bundled service I signed up for at home this year, I would NEVER enter into a contract service with them again!

Trying to get them to honor the price they originally quoted me, was like trying to get straight answers from a time share salesman!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 2-16-2016 at 07:04 AM

I have five lines on my AT&T plan - just switched to the Mobile share on which I was able to add for free being able to call and text for free FROM Mexico. Also one GB of data per month per line. For me the cost per line is $40. Now we don't have to bother with the hassle of additional phones/cards etc. in Mexico (was such a pain since driving to town is an hour each way experience. If someone in USA wants to talk, I have them text us, and I call them back.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2016 at 08:14 AM

I would consider Telcel. You can get a plan that works in the states and Mexico and is much cheaper than anything from AT&T or T Mobile. I pay 299 pesos a month for 200 minutes, including free roaming in the US and calls to the US from Mexico, 1.5 gb of data, and free fFacebook and WhatsApp (doesn't count against data). That works out to slightly over $15 a month.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.