Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hola from La Paz.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

lol.gif posted on 1-26-2005 at 04:20 PM
Hola from La Paz.

We have arrived from Mazatlan. Came over on the new ferry from Topolobampo. Nice to sit up all night in the bar and play cards and other things. Nice smooth ride, worth a try. It rained our first night in La Paz< and everything is fresh and beautiful . We anded up at the Hotel Plaza Real as the Las Palmas left much to be desired. Couldn't even see out the windows. More later. Annie T.

Live, love and be happy.
Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 04:50 PM
Save me

Save me some beer....... be there for Carnaval next week.......

:bounce:

Tio

Helpful Resources:
La Paz Directory: www.inlapaz.com
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 06:35 PM
carnival

carnival times changed due to election feb 15--20th.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 06:46 PM

they cant change the dates on carnival. it needs to end on lint. are you sure about that?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Tio Rocky
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 07:47 PM
Not

Yes it?s true??? The date for Carnaval in La Paz has been changed to February 15th / 20th?. I myself could not believe it and just got off the phone with the Mexico State Tourism Office in La Paz who confirmed it.

This is a very sad statement for Baja Sur and Mexico in general. One would think that these issues would have been seen and worked out years ago.

My heart goes out to any of you that have already made, paid and planned your vacations around this Event.

For any of you who wish to confirm this yourself you can reach the Tourism Office in La Paz at (612) 124-0100.

Tio

[Edited on 1-27-2005 by Tio Rocky]

Helpful Resources:
La Paz Directory: www.inlapaz.com
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 07:53 PM

thanks Tio . wow you really had me going for a while . what a relief.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 08:08 PM
carnival

You were replying to someone in La Paz the carnival dates in La Paz Have changed. At least thats the word going around La Paz

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 1-26-2005 at 10:12 PM

Annie T. Wife and I hooked a good air fare (274 per person)from LAX and will be in La Paz this Thursday thru Monday morning. I am hooked on Los Arcos (been staying there since nearly a baby).

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
akbear
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 12:15 AM
La Paz Carnival

The Baja Insider has Carnival in La Paz on Feb. 15-20.

Also, Super Bowl Sun. is Election Day. No booze on sale Sat. or Sun. Stock up Early !!!

http://www.bajainsider.com

http://www.gringogazette.com

akbear ---<*})))))><
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2005 at 01:48 PM
La Paz & Carnival

THanks for all the info. In reply: Tim we are wandering around for a month with a couple of gals from Germany and are traveling on a beer budget; stayed in our time share in Maz. for the luxury part of trip so the gals could lay around the pool and beach and dream(?) and now we are showing them the real Mexico as we know it. Bruce, I love what you do to the king?s English. Please don?t use spell check, ever. About the carnival, I just checked and it?s true and is just *]*%&%$ &///&%$#$/(). So I guess we still don?t get to be in La Paz for carnival. Guess we?ll go to Todos Santos for the craft fair after we drink all the cervesa here.
By the way does anyone know who one can get in touch with about a street dog. He has a knotted electrical wire collar on, is hungry and unfortunately, has mange. I will pay to have him taken care of either way, but don?t know how to get him to a vet or to whom to go. Thanks to all, Annie T.

[Edited on 1-27-2005 by Annie T.]
MaD

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 07:32 AM
Vet in La Paz

There are wonderful vets in La Paz - a husband and wife team - Dr. Hilda Elizondo and Dr. Tomas Rodriguez - Dr. Tomas speaks excellent English. Their phone is 122-5662 - they are located at 2340 Madero between Pineda and M. De Leon
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 05:49 PM

THanks MaD,
I?ll note the info. However, like a toothache and the dentist, just after I posted the message the dog disappeared. When he shows up I?ll act.
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 07:02 PM
Happy Trails Anne

Hi Anne, just wanted to wish you well, and happy times where ever you land. I personally like La Paz a lot, if I was going to live in a city in Baja Ca., expect that would be where I would land. Todo Santo-s too, so many places I would live if I could be in more than one place at a time, sigh... Hasta......... Sara
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 01:20 PM

THanks Sara, We love La Paz, too. We now may not get to Los Barrilles this trip. One of our party took a header and with seven stitches and various cuts and bruises she is in no mood to wander around. It all involves margueritas and a turtle. Can?t take those Europeans anywhere!!!! Annie

Live, love and be happy.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 07:23 PM

Annie,

Even though I have always found it to be an intriguing "old Mexico" kind of city, great architecture, friendly vibes, I remember sitting in "La Perla" resturant on the Malecon with Dad being special experinse, (he knew everyone from the old days), done some wandering around shopping downtown, playing with the dolfins when they were in town was one of the high lights of my life, but they are gone now.

So now that I think of it I have never gone to La Paz on vacation, (it has always been about business, get in, get it done, get out the quicker the better). You being there got me thinking, what are you doing? What are some of the sights you are seeing?
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 12:55 PM

Sara,
That must have been a time full of good memories for you. We just stroll a lot, up the malecon, down the malecon, to the square, to Mercado Bravo where we have empanadas and tamales at the stand in the corner of the market---they are wonderful (and then we buy ones that have gone cold to feed to the street dogs) and then a chocomilk with platano for dessert. Other times we stop at the stands for a taco, pausing at a cafe for a cervasa, smiling and talking with people (a lot of it in sign for us) and this time a special treat for us. Our balcony is just over a restaurant with good local music every night. We sit, play cards, drink brandy and listen to the soft and clear music. We took the girls to the beach, Tecolate, where we looked for shells and lay in the sun. We dont? stay in the better hotels, we look for simple places. How much better can it get? Have a lovely day with your work. Later........Annie

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by Annie T.]

Live, love and be happy.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 07:17 PM
Thanks for the review Annie,

Expect that is pretty much what I would do too, if I was there on vacation in La Paz. When you are strolling the malecon and you walk towards Pechilinge and you are near the Peaking Chinese resturarant, (which has some great eats and ice tea by the way), there is a house next door, run down, intriguing as all git out, huge, ornate with lots of gingerbread. I heard the servent and dog inhertited the house years ago, and that she is quite old now, I have never seen any actifity in the yard. I always wanted to take a look inside, now that would be an adventure to do if I could, maybe some day yet I will...
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 01:55 PM

Is that the house with the large yard with many trees (orange, etc)? If so we have wondered about that one many times. We?ll walk down that way later and and see. We have stayed at Los Gaviotos, up one block from the malecon and east one from the Nuevo Pekin so we are a little familiar with that area. We went again to the beaches today with a friend, Alberto Zussarey (sp?) and he will guide us to the whales at Lopez Mateos later this week. He is so good with little details of geography and history of this area. His great grandfather was a pearl diver and his grandfather and father were fisherman here. Last night there was a political gathering on the malecon, with a lot of music and speech making, very festive. Alberto said the priest at mass asked everyone to pray to save the souls of all the bad politicians who changed the dates for carnival this year. We have learned of a new restaurant that serves a buffet of real Mexican food for only 80. pesos. So we need to take a siesta and prepare for it. Later, Sara. Annie
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 06:23 PM
Sorta Pagota style?

At least as I recall. Yep, all kinds of trees, it is a beauty of a yard and a unique unto it's own structure, of course it has been a couple of years since I took a gander in that direction, but it has some real fun details, that I do recall.

It?s funny you know, I have the worse sence of direction in the world. I could get lost in my own backyard of Los Barriles I expect. Of course makes for some outstanding never would have wound up there adventures in my confused wanders.

Anyway, I am trying real hard to remember if Gaviota was the last place I stayed with Dad when Dave Deal came down and we pulled the ol man out of the hospital. If it is the same, it is not the cheapest place in town, but pretty reasonable, real homy, kind folks. It would most likly where I would stay again if I was to do an over nighter in La Paz.

If it is the same place, it has a small simple underoof courtyard with the reception desk on the left as you enter, and a big T.V., with comfy chairs and a sofa there. Than out a small hallway into the area where the rooms are two stories high, I think?

Love Alberto's comment about the priest asking God and the people to forgive the bad politicians. Might mention that while they are at it...........there are a million issues out there to forgive those guys over.

Might ask Alberto if he ever knew of Jimmy Smith, if he does, I can assure you that will provoke a chuckle and a story.

Thanks for warm visions and sweet memories of home Annie, yes, thank you very very much.

[Edited on 2-1-2005 by Eli]
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 10:38 PM

Within the last year, the 'house on the malecon with the fruit trees' sold. It was in poor repair, but as been my luck to date, I was too late in getting in on buying it....I think it is one of the most beautiful pieces of land in all of La Paz.

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.