Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Best place to move for a couple and 2 dogs
Erika128

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 01:48 PM
Best place to move for a couple and 2 dogs

Hi guys, I'm glad I found this forum! Seems honest ;)

My boyfriend and I are wanting to move to MX this autumn. Mainland Guanajuato is a strong option, but we are also kicking around the idea of Baja Sur for 6m-1 year and do the beach thing for a little while. Especially given that I don't need to deal with the hassle of getting my auto permit (it's financed).

Opinions on the best place to live and rent with 2 dogs? Thinking Loreto, la Paz..I want to stay on the Cortez side. My grandparents lived in Mulege for a couple years until they got flooded one too many times - it's a little smaller town than we were hoping for, but not out of the question either. What's the non-touristy vacation rental market like? It's hard to find any local info that's not aimed at retirees who golf.

I work remotely for a company here in the US, so I'll need regular and reliable internet access. We'd love a little casa with a yard, but I don't want to pay more than $600/mo furnished with utilities. Possible? Cost of living is a big factor.

Thanks so much for your opinions!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 01:49 PM

it's possible. look in the classified section of this site for some ideas on rentals.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 01:51 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8

i'd ask any and all of them that suit you. they may not frequent the site to update regularly.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 02:03 PM

Try some of the Mexican real estate web sites. For example:

http://casas.mitula.mx/casas/renta-casas-la-paz-baja-califor...

I found this by typing casas se renta la paz into google

A lot fewer ads targeted at gringos

[Edited on 2-21-2016 by SFandH]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 02:32 PM

Loreto.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 02:42 PM

Bahia Asunción is a great place and about three hour's drive from Mulege.

Here is a place for sale or rent:
http://www.bajabargainbeachfrontcutie.com

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Erika128

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 02:56 PM

Awesome everyone, I'll check it out! Thank you!

I'm sure to have more questions as the time gets closer, but I'm so encouraged to know its not an issue. :)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 02:59 PM

Here is another site that you might want to post on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 04:26 PM

good luck on "regular and reliable internet." you ARE moving to Mexico, after all. Telmex is 'it' regardless of who sells it to you, under what name or whatever bandwidth they claim...it all comes thru Telmex.
sometimes the internet works well, most of the time it works okay, sporadically, it will be out...for how long, quien sabe? certain hours of the day (school's out or businesses opening or just plain folks around you streaming video), things may slow down. way down. in Loreto, there aren't any new land lines nor WiMax units available at the current time, so be sure any rental actually does currently have internet, how you get it, who else is on the system, etc. try it out at the hours you would normally use internet, including weekends and nights.
if the retirees who golf (check the current furor on Loreto Bay Village Voice Yahoo Group), and whose budgets are undoubtedly larger than yours, can't get reliable internet, don't expect the unobtainable.
not a reason to stay home but if it's essential to your work...???

[Edited on 2-21-2016 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 04:35 PM

Come to Punta Chivato. The Best place in Baja. And Just ask the DOGs they love it.:biggrin:
SFandH
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 04:43 PM

Surprised nobody has mentioned Todos Santos. And then there is Santa Rosalia for the (place adjective here) Mexican seaside experience. Not many gringos living there. :o
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 05:43 PM

A number of posters seemed to have overlooked the fact that Erika specifically stated Sea of Cortez side.. Have no problems with Asuncion or Todos, but...

My two cents would be to look into anything along the SOC from South of Santa Rosalia, down to Loreto.

Depending on your need for amenities like shopping and restaurants, Loreto would be my top choice. But Punta Chivato and Mulege Are also awesome; just not so good for supermarkets ans alike.
Erika128

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 06:32 PM

Thanks guys. I'm grilling my grandparents too, as they still know some people in Mulege.

Regarding the Internet, I'm not gaming or anything, so it doesn't need to be crazy fast. My work is mostly email, chat, and online spreadsheets. We are hoping to use my appleTv however for Netflix and all that. I've heard that using a phone hotspot might end up being better anyhow?

Groceries: meaning produce and meats, pantry staples - cuanto Cuesta? We don't eat a lot of junk or packaged foods. Average cost for a sixer of Mexican beer? 1lb of pollo? carton of eggs? Frutas y verduras? Right now, in Portland I spend anywhere between $40-80 per week on fruits, veggies, and eggs depending on season...

I see the cost comparisons on expatistan for la Paz, but I'm wondering how accurate that is regionally.

[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Erika128]
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 07:34 PM

My own opinion, I think you will find La Paz is what you are looking for. I have had very few problems with the Telmex phone/internet system, and at $389 pesos/month, it is dirt cheap. It doesn't cater to tourists the way Cabo does, and it directs more to the Mexican tourist market. It is a Mexican city with a pop. of approx. 250K and I have found everything i want, with the exception of access to air travel, since Air Alaska stopped flying here a couple of years ago. I now have to drive to San Jose del Cabo to pick up my guests, but that is only a 2 hr drive on great 4 lane/toll road. You might find summers a little uncomfortable as it isn't uncommon to hit the mid to high 30sC or even into the low 40s. Check out the real estate market....most realtors also have their hands on rentals. I have two medium/large dogs, but I own so i can't comment on rentals and pups. We also have all the major department stores, lots of marinas, home depot, walmart etc. A very well equipped town without the craziness of Cabo.

Best of Luck
Keith
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Erika128  
Right now, in Portland I spend anywhere between $40-80 per week on fruits, veggies, and eggs depending on season...
[Edited on 2-22-2016 by Erika128]

I buy fruit/veggies at a friend's farm or in Todos. -$20 a week.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Meany  
Come to Punta Chivato. The Best place in Baja. And Just ask the DOGs they love it.:biggrin:

I am a bit biased (wearing a Punta Chivato t-shirt and all), but I think Punta Chivato is a really nice place. I wonder if there are houses to rent within that budget though.

The nearest mini-marts are in Palo Verde. They have a surprising assortment of stuff that you may need. Palo Verde is about 15-30 minutes from the Punta Chivato Hotel (depending on what car you drive, and how you drive). It takes me 15 minutes from the Hotel to Palo Verde in a Jeep Wrangler. If you are farther south in the area, like on Shell Beach, it's a lot closer. Maybe half the distance.

In addition, there are people who come by and sell fresh vegetables and seafood every week.

Mulege is another 15 minutes from Palo Verde, and Santa Rosalia is another 30 minutes.

Others can answer regarding internet. I don't have it, except on my Telcel phone and it is spotty at my house. I understand that Exede satellite internet is the way to go now.
SteveWil
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 09:24 PM

Here a blog that may have some useful information. The first part has more information. http://www.losogradysinmexico.com/

I would look at BLA, La Paz, Loreto.
I do not know about e-net in BLA.
There maybe some places south of La Paz. Also better air service if needed.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 09:46 PM

Erika128, check your U2U (upper right blue letters under your logged in name).

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Erika128

[*] posted on 2-21-2016 at 11:27 PM

Awesome feedback everyone, I SO appreciate it! I'm feeling pretty optimistic it's easily doable. :) It seems like, come moving time in August or so, we can just pack up and head down and it'll be pretty simple to land somewhere that feels right between Mulege to La Paz.

Now I know that this forum is an amazing resource, and will certainly be in touch come moving time! I'll be lurking around in the meanwhile :)
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 2-22-2016 at 12:47 AM

It will be quite hot on the Sea of Cortez side in August...
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.