BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zapping posts and threads.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2003 at 10:57 PM
Zapping posts and threads.

I'd like to suggest that the moderators be more aggresive in deleting posts and threads that serve no purpose other than to slander someone or derail the board.

In the past year I can only think of a couple of times when threads have been put of their misery. Doing nothing simply invites yahoo attacks. With more participantes things'll only get worse.

Successful boards don't put up with such nonsense.

Zap ?m.

Braulio.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-3-2003 at 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
I'd like to suggest that the moderators be more aggresive in deleting posts and threads that serve no purpose other than to slander someone or derail the board.

In the past year I can only think of a couple of times when threads have been put of their misery. Doing nothing simply invites yahoo attacks. With more participantes things'll only get worse.

Successful boards don't put up with such nonsense.

Zap ?m.

Braulio,

Thanks for the note, and your input.

As far as "zappin' 'em"... use that little button that says "report" and "report 'em!"

Comments:

A) There are more threads and posts that have been "zapped" than you know. Numbering in the hundreds.

B) I do give some leeway to postings, but do have a problem with personal attacks upon other members of the forums here.

Ready to be a moderator here? :cool:

--
Doug

[Edited on 9-4-2003 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2003 at 09:04 AM

No.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-4-2003 at 12:23 PM

The moderation at this board has been quite fair over the past year. I wouldn't change a thing. I think the reason you haven't noticed a lot of cuts, Braulio, is that Doug does it with precision, often cutting out what is offensive in a post without wiping out the whole post. I've only hit the "report" button a couple of times, but it's been when something really skanky has been said to someone else and he's been quite quick to get the offensive material off with no further ado.
When you see the "edited by Baja Nomad" addition to someone elses post, you know he's been in there to do a little "cleaning up".

Having been summarily executed from the Amigos board (the ultimate editing), I, and the others who came here with me a year or so ago, may be overly gratefull for having been given a place to land, but I'm pleased as punch that Doug is not heavy on the censorship and allows people to freely post what they think and feel as long as it doesn't personally attack another poster.

I hope the board can accomodate the new traffic without changing its character and that the newcomers to this board will not give him too much new work to do in that regard.

Keep up the good work, Doug. - Stephanie
Sgt Bob

lol.gif posted on 9-4-2003 at 12:38 PM
really

Doug, Thanks for the opportunity to use this space for learning and communications.
I met some really good people on the amigo board and hope to continue on this one.
I will make a suggestion or two---
I don't feel that it is fair or right for an "anonymous" to post or for most of the Registrants to leave most of their profile blank. Not that I really care to know where someone lives or what they do, but it does offer some insight as to where they're coming from or want. :tumble:

Since I'm a pilot and love fishin I would rather speak to my cohorts. :lol:

Let me know if I can be of any help!!

Thanks again, Bob

[Edited on 9-12-2003 by BajaNomad]

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2003 at 02:28 PM

Stephanie -

I don't think we have a disagreement regarding censure - but the reality is that posts that serve no purpose other than to draw attention and rattle the cages of this group of monkeys really censure us all and should be deleted.

N.D.'s recent jab at Captain Mike on the general discussion is an excellent example.

N.D. has his/her space on open topics but apparently doesn't feel that there's enough attention being drawn to him/her. Since he/she has proved that he/she doesn't want to follow the rules why is he/she allowed to continue to post? Why should we have to suffer?

The bottom line is that we're almost surley missing informative input from posters who are shy or for whatever reason just don't want to be associated with a board with so much BS. Catering to the least common denominator amounts to an even worse form of censorship for them.

People who can't express their opinions respectfully ( like I always to with Oso) should be blocked.

Braulio
Q87
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-4-2003 at 06:45 PM

Thank you for your interest and concern.

The (non-Baja) Off Topic board is the only place for that sort of thing, for now. Baja political posts have a special forum and non-Baja political posts have the above mentioned forum.

Posting these subjects in other forums are subject to removal.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 12:11 AM

Now Braulio, You know as well as I do that Captain Mike has thrown his share of jabs at Nancy as well. As a matter of fact, I haven't got the time or inclination to go back through all the tripe, but I bet if you did the research, you would find that Nosey didn't attack untill after having been attacked numerous times by Captain Mike. The usual.

I'm by no means Nosey's fan (even less after that raunchy dedication to Chopy), and don't even read most of his posts, but if you spend your time criticizing his personal attacks on others but ignore the whole threads of personal attacks by others against him, you're missing the forest for the tree.

But I do agree with you that in ANY forum, the personal attacks should not be welcome.

Sgt. Bob, Aren't all of those who post with made up names "anonymous"? I don't quite get the distinction. You could be Sgt. Bob signing onto this board from one computer and Betty Boop signing in from another, no?

It felt a little disconcerting to me, initially, to respond to posts that are done blatantly anonymously, but when I thought about it a little further, I decided that most of the people posting on boards are as anonymous as they can be and wouldn't dare post were it otherwise.

One person who has constently dug up a lot of really obscure but informative news articles over the last year, has posted those articles anonymously (Hey Baja Nomad! Is that you?). ... I'm not quite as likely to respond to the blatantly anonymous posts, but I've gotten used to them and some contribute excellent info. - Stephanie

Sgt Bob

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 04:19 AM
honesty

I had to do a little catch-up since I have many other things in my life to do .
I will stick by my original post (above) and second Braulios' thoughts too.
I also feel that anyone posting their knowledge or thoughts should have the balls to either be identified with or stand behind their words. :fire:

As I previously stated,I have met some real people not anonymous or fakes and I would expect the others to be the same.
Naive maybe, but I always look for the best in people first.
After reading some of N.D.s vitriolic spewing,I couldn't understand why that is accepted or allowed on this board. It may be "off topic" but one person hogging that much space and time to attack and attack and attack and attack---------,do you get my point?
It is good to be involved ,but overbearing ,sick ,political venting by what was said to be a non-U.S. citizen is not what I came here to read and contribute to.
Bob

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 08:45 AM

Stephanie -

You don't get it - I picked ND's post in general discussion as an example because it appeared in general discussion and was recent - L - how could I know who started what?

You didn't even bother to respond to my main point which is all of the informative posts we are missing out on because many people just don't want to participate when this kind of BS is allowed to overflow to other topics.

If ND, Mike, David, you, I , or whoever can't post with respect then they should be blocked. Period.

It'd appear that you too would rather take sides is this crap hurling thing rather than contribute anything which might actually improve the board.

If nothing's done I'd suggest we all save ourselves some time and declare the board DOA.

Braulio.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 10:33 AM

I don't think it should be required to go through the registration process if you're getting prepared for your first trip to Baja and have a question you'd like answered.

Although I desire everyone to be respectful in each and every post they make, I'd be unrealistic to expect each and every post to be that way.... unless I want to limit the membership here to about a dozen or so people.... which defeats the purpose of this forum board -- to be an open place to get information about Baja California.

Each and every forum here has its own settings. Each can have its own moderator, can have registration required, can have attachments disabled/enabled, etc. Each can be in its own little world.

I can even setup a private ("exclusive") forum on here for any person - or group (given a pretty good reason to do so) - for "cohorts." It can be a list of usernames, or just password protected, to view/access. If this appeals to anyone, let me know.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2003 at 01:21 PM

Braulio!
Really!
Quote:

N.D.'s recent jab at Captain Mike on the general discussion is an excellent example

Jab! what about prick poke stab???

Then again what about some lighthearted humor, the Intent Braulio the Intent! Lighthearted humor. Okay!

The cure for the Anal Personalty is a good dose of ex lax

[Edited on 9-7-2003 by BajaNomad]
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2003 at 08:14 AM
N.D. is a Nomad

I just noticed that N.D. has three stars and the title ?Nomad? under his name on each of his posts. I would like to congratulate him on this accomplishment and acknowledge him as a true nomad of the Baja California peninsula. Also, Nancy, why don't you call yourself a Hardey Brother instead of Nancy Drew?

[Edited on 9-6-2003 by Packoderm]
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-6-2003 at 11:32 AM

I just noticed Stephanie gave ND credit for the my artistic achievements and talents. The songs were my creation.

It appears ND has run off with Nosey's Identity.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.