Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza in El Rosario passed away at the age of 109
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 08:01 AM

With profound sadness I report that my mami Anita Grosso Espinoza "Mama Espinoza" passed away peacefully at her home in El Rosario at 5:30 AM on Saturday March 12, 2016. She was a great lady who took care of me during a tough time in my life as a young boy. She will be laid to rest at 2:00 PM today at the El Rosario cemetery accompanied by her family and friends. Mami is now in heaven with our Heavenly Father. I will miss her so very much. I love you mami.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 08:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R  
With profound sadness I report that my mami Anita Grosso Espinoza "Mama Espinoza" passed away peacefully at her home in El Rosario at 5:30 AM on Saturday March 12, 2016. She was a great lady who took care of me during a tough time in my life as a young boy. She will be laid to rest at 2:00 PM today at the El Rosario cemetery accompanied by her family and friends. Mami is now in heaven with our Heavenly Father. I will miss her so very much. I love you mami.

....and best wishes to you Elin,, it's very clear mamaE meant a lot to you. Mama's looking over us all now :rolleyes:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:30 AM

Nancy Reagan and her are sharing jokes with Pancho Villa and Ronnie in that great ranch in the sky!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  
Nancy Reagan and her are sharing jokes with Pancho Villa and Ronnie in that great ranch in the sky!

I think Nancy, Ronnie and Francisco are probably in a hotter subterranean local.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:53 AM

Haha good one!! However, let's hope there is no political agenda in the afterlife.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:55 AM

DEP, mi mas sentido pesame para ti David M.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:09 AM

Wow, what a legend, go with God Mama Espinoza.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:52 AM

The math doesn't add up, if she was born in '08 she didn't quite make 109. Close enough for me though. What a nice lady.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Hey DK do you have a link to her autobio ? What a fascinating woman.

Thanks

She was indeed fascinating!

In her book:

and Greg's book:

She was a super lady!

[Edited on 3-16-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 03:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

What is interesting is all newer books (including one she autographed for me in person and said had the "true story" of her life, makes her even younger with the birth in August 1910 (making her 'only' 105 yesterday, instead of 107)...

In the 1930 Mexico Census, her age was shown as 22. She's Anita Grosso on the last line on that image (line 31), her mother Tecla is on the line above.

As that census was taken on May 15th, 1930, at age 22 she was born either in late 1907 or early 1908. If the October (or August?) birthday is correct, it would be October 1907, making her now 108. Still a good age to reach!

Note she's shown as "divorced" on that census. Her future husband Heraclio is also in the census a few pages earlier (line 15).

Rob
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 05:07 PM

Thanks David.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 05:16 PM

What an amazing person Mama Espinoza. I always enjoyed stopping to visit and eat during ever since I was a kid and thought that she was a successful person in life that I aspire to be like. May she rest in peace.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Quote: Originally posted by EnsenadaDr  

I think Nancy, Ronnie and Francisco are probably in a hotter subterranean local.

I really have to agree on this post. Dona Anita was and now is an angel. Not so much Nancy and Ronnie.

But I also think that it is wrong to politicized her passing.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 08:10 PM

REST- IN-PEACE MAMA ESPINOZA

[Edited on 3-15-2016 by BajaNomad]
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 10:01 AM

the first lady of Baja. may she rest in peace....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 04:45 PM
Museo de Doņa Anita (Espinoza-Grosso)

Have you folks been into the museum dedicated to her life?

I posted many photos of it, and one even appeared on the Baja Calendar one year.

Here is a web page with the museum photos (from April 2006): http://vivabaja.com/406/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 05:23 PM

hey DK ... no photo resizing suggestion? slipping!

(RIP after a long life M. Espinosa)
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 05:51 PM

I first met Mama Espinoza at her house in 1971. At that time her kitchen was her restaurant.
If you can believe it, my friends grandmother died the same day as Mama Espinoza and she was also 109. It was believed that she was the oldest woman in California. Mama Espinoza was born 10/16/1906 and my friends grandmother was born 11/13/1906.
Two wonderful women....they will be missed!
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 08:50 PM

Oh my .. just saw this thread -- adding our condolences to all who loved Mama E .. she was kind, gentle and gracious on the few occasions I had the opportunity to interact with her. Another special angel now in heaven.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 08:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

This October (2016) she would have turned 108, per her own autobiography.

(The newer books say she would turn 106 this year, but they were written by others... and likely using the government records that began in 1910, according to her.)

So, she was 107 (or 105) when she passed on.
I like to believe her own words over the government bookkeepers of 1910.
It really was a great life and two, three or four years wrong is not a deal after you are 100, is it? Let's just be accurate for history.

I know Mama's family quite well and I see them quite often. I recently asked a couple of her kids what her real age was? They both assured me that she celebrated 109 years on her birthday last October. When I asked them about the different ages reported in different books, they both laughed and said that if you were to ask her how old she was 7 days in a row, you would get seven different answers. She had a very keen memory with many historical events of her life events but with others, especially her age - not so much. They assured me that the family has lots of documentation, (baptism/school records) to prove that she was really born in 1906 and found it quite funny that some gringos were actually arguing over it.

They then showed me the photo of the cake from her latest birthday and asked me if the entire family (you had to attend one of her birthdays to understand the size of the family) was in on this conspiracy to make her older than she really was?

No offense David but I think I will go with their answer...

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.