Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Mama Espinoza in El Rosario passed away at the age of 109
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 09:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
hey DK ... no photo resizing suggestion? slipping!

(RIP after a long life M. Espinosa)

There are no oversized photos in need of resizing to fit Nomad's rule of 800 pixels max width. ???

...th'size of that picture is th'size of Elin's love,, seems quite appropriate :smug:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 10:29 PM

geezus david....let it go :rolleyes:
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 06:37 AM

If I find any more Mama E birth year data I will share. Until then, I will go with her writing of it.

See the Mexican census image link I posted earlier in this thread (just after your photos): on May 15th, 1930 Anita Grosso considered herself to be 22. So with a birthday in the second half of the year that'd make her 108.

Just like later information, it may be wrong, perhaps she was told the wrong date by her parents, or wanted to make herself appear younger or older. But it's the earliest documented date so maybe the most likely to be accurate. It's easier to get years mixed up later!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 08:13 AM

I am sure her family thinks that... but they weren't alive then, right? So, I ask you to read the 10 children's birth years and tell me when the next youngest two sisters were born, or are all the years off by two, back to Arturo?

Adelaida was born in 1906 and Anita was the youngest. Again, these years are Mama's own writing from when she was younger and not confused as you say her family claims she was.

If I find any more Mama E birth year data I will share. Until then, I will go with her writing of it.

What I was told by members of her family was that because she had no birth certificate, the family was never quite sure how old she was growing up. Census data back then was not concrete proof either. Tracing my own family history recently I discovered two different census where my own mom's age was listed incorrectly.

What her kids told me was that one day when they were going through family photos and memorabilia that they discovered baptism and early school records for Anita which listed her DOB as 1906.

Her autobiography was not written entirely by her own hand but she was sharing her recollections with someone helping her to write it. Yes, I am sure that her memory was much better when she was just a spring chicken at the young age of 88 - her autobiography was published in 1994. As far as getting the ages of her brothers and sister wrong, it was simply getting one age wrong and then adding/subtracting the years difference in comparison. I have made that same mistake myself when trying to figure out the ages of my own siblings. I am only half her age and cannot imagine how my memory will function if I even live to be 88.

When she passed away a few days ago, Mama Espinoza was convinced that she was 109. All of her children and close family believed her to be 109.

That's good enough for me...

[Edited on 3-15-2016 by BajaGringo]

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 08:49 AM

And BTW, I never even thought to ask them when they discovered the records. It could very well have been AFTER her autobiography was written...

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 02:18 PM

I'm done....RIP Mama.....

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 02:26 PM

How old is DK?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 02:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
How old is DK?

.....what is time? :wow:
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 04:11 PM

My La Siesta Press(Walt Wheelock) Helen Elsberg biography was my favorite ( I have three copies) and her own autobiography a close second. She did not feel Helen's work did justice. I have multiple copies of that one also.

I first met her in December of 1976.... I remember having a laugh with her about a head gasket hanging on the toilet in the restaurant bathroom... Get it? A HEAD gasket hanging on the Head????

What a woman.

Steve in Oro Valley
Steve in Oro Valley
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 04:28 PM

Doņa Anita of El Rosario by Helen Ellsberg 1974 with introduction by Walt Wheelock (la Siesta Press)
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 10:34 PM

Dk,
How old are you?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 10:36 PM

PLEASE ALL, LET MAMA REST. ENOUGH.
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2016 at 11:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Steve in Oro Valley  
Doņa Anita of El Rosario by Helen Ellsberg 1974 with introduction by Walt Wheelock (la Siesta Press)

From inside:

I am a huge fan of Mama Espinoza...

Thank you Steve for mentioning that book, I forgot I had it... a copy that was Mike McMahan's (whose wall map is inside Mama's restaurant).

.....thanks for keeping with the thread's focus! :yes:

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 01:36 PM

I wanted to share with you the only physical things left that belong to Mama Espinoza, which are located in her closet. I pulled out her favorite dress to also share with you. In the end it really does not matter if she passed away at 108, 109 or 110 as one newspaper had it. The fact is she was a person who'd give the shirt from her back to someone less fortunate than her. She did for me during a difficult time in my life and for that I will always be greatful. Rest-in-Peace Mami.

PS: David K if Mamá was alive today, she would forgive you. That's the least I could do too. Everyone, please forgive David K.

[Edited on 3-16-2016 by ELINVESTIG8R]
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 02:21 PM

ELINVESTIG8R you are a good guy and thanks for bring this back to a life well lived. She will be missed by many.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 02:43 PM

Done,MSGT....

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 04:38 PM

WOW!

Thanks for sharing, DK!

I wish I had that book.

From inside:

Thank you Steve for mentioning that book, I forgot I had it... a copy that was Mike McMahan's (whose wall map is inside Mama's restaurant).

[Edited on 3-16-2016 by David K]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 04:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
WOW!

Thanks for sharing, DK!

I wish I had that book.

From inside:

[Edited on 3-16-2016 by David K]

Here you go my friend... over 8 for sale, and inexpensive too!: http://www.amazon.com/Dona-Anita-Rosario-Helen-Ellsberg/dp/B...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 05:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
PLEASE ALL, LET MAMA REST. ENOUGH.
bb

THIS!
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 05:55 PM

David I forgive you for being an insufferable *****. Unless you are connected to mama as I am to the point of having the privilege to go into her closet to pull out her favorite dress and take a picture you do not know her. She died at the age of 109. End of story. You're still forgiven.

Forgive me???
She would forgive all of you who disrespected her own words, as well.
I only posted HER book page and HER year she gave... has nothing to do with me, so stop shooting the messenger. I removed all my posts in which I typed her real age... to calm you few drama-istas, as promised.

[Edited on 3-17-2016 by BajaNomad]
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.