Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Warning to Baja vets
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 09:55 AM
Warning to Baja vets

As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 10:05 AM

Interesting, We are experiencing the same thing here in Kansas, Ranchers and Cowboys working cattle are reporting lots of Rattlers, more than usual. Emerging much earlier than normal. Watch it!

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 10:19 AM

Thursday Kathy and I did a drive to see wildflowers in northern SLO county, they are pretty spectacular BTW. We were stopped on Bitterwater Road (almost right on top of the fault line) and a local rancher stopped to warn us about rattlesnakes. Said they were present in larger than normal numbers and he was making a point to warn people.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
As you all know,we had wet winter.Lots of green grass and water. Riding last 6 days over 6 rattle snakes,killed most of them.They where out even in cool weather.All ranchos have reported same thing.As we get into April,they will come out of the wood work.Hikers/bikers watch where you put your foot down.

No need to kill the snakes! Wear boots and pants, youll be fine
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 11:41 AM

Havnt seen any cowboys working without boots and pants on...Might be different where you live..

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 11:45 AM

Of course there is your dog running around without boots and pants (at least mine won't wear his pants).
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Of course there is your dog running around without boots and pants (at least mine won't wear his pants).

Take your pooches to rattle snake avoidance training. Its effective
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 11:56 AM

Do they have those classes for horses and cattle?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 11:57 AM

no question the goat is right here, and I know its wrong, but I prefer my rattlers in two pieces :(
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 12:54 PM

Depends on your point of view, like everything else...Horses and cattle tend to be bitten in the face, while grazing. Generally their airways swell up,and If not found quickly, end up dying a terrible death, unable to breath or drink water. Most of us carry a piece of garden hose, which can be forced down the airway, letting them get some air. They then must be transported to a Vet. The vet bill will seldom be less than 5-600 bucks, and one of my wifes mares cost almost 2000 for treatment. So we kill every rattler we see...Dogs are less of a problem, they are vaccinated, which minimizes the effect of a bite...SO...do what spins your crank.we are gonna keep killling them....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 01:08 PM

This pony died..

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 01:30 PM

I agree; I run into a buzzworm on his turf, he lives. He's on mine, buh-bye. Same goes with Biuda Negras... unless of course she's over 80 years old with a bad cough and owns her own chain of liquor stores.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 02:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  

Take your pooches to rattle snake avoidance training. Its effective
MT You are beyond help,are you just plain stupid.Or just live in your backyard in SD. I wish the snake I dont kill,keeps you company.The Market across the street,had one inside,with two kids in there. Next door baby rattler in house,with 3 kids in there. Do you post,just to be seen.As no nothing, You should just go under a rock in Baja. I will always respond to your,worthless:bounce: posts.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 02:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I will always respond to your,worthless:bounce: posts.

No one can resist my allure!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 03:08 PM

SO? You support the death of that pony, and have no regard for the feelings of it's 12 year old owner? Killing of rattlesnakes is NOT indiscriminate...We do it on purpose.

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 03:24 PM

Plenty of turf outside of human habitation areas for those things..

If I see one in the wild away from my camp, I let it alone..
If one turns up in my camp, or on a walk to the facilities, or on the path down to the surf..... Resotera
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 03:42 PM

I think the question is where the snake is. I love wildlife, but I'm not going to leave a rattlesnake in my backyard where I let my dogs out. They play an important role in the ecosystem, so I also wouldn't go out killing them on their turf.

Useful things you can do to keep them away from your property:
-Keep your rodent population down;
-Make sure critters don't have access under your house/outbuildings;
-Remove shrubs, wood, and rockpiles from immediately around your house/outbuildings, as well as property - this is snake habitat;
-Keep vegetation mowed/trimmed, especially at ground level;
-Don't kill large nonvenomous snakes like gopher snakes - they will keep your rodent population down and use resources a rattlesnake might otherwise find desirable.

Definitely take the time to train your dog to avoid snakes and train a strong "leave it" cue.

(Fyi, chuckie, research on the dog rattlesnake vaccine was really limited - I did a lot of reading up on it, and it probably won't hurt to get it, but I wouldn't rely on it whatsoever. Especially for Baja red rattlers, which are a different species than the venom it was created for).
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 04:08 PM

Oxnard? Ok... One of our pastures is 1600 acres +or-...Its inhabitants , if the count is correct a/o Friday, is 187 Mama cows and about 157 babies...So no HUMAN habitation.. I think there are 6-7 horses out there as well...So? We don't kill snakes out there?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 04:10 PM

Far's anti-venin is concerned, do you really think it's regularly stocked at Baja clinics and hospitals, and readily available to the general population? I also know this for a fact; it isn't recommended for treatment unless the bite is definitely deep and the venom is actively progressing; otherwise the antivenin can be worse than a casual shallow bite.

Again, as stated by more than just I..... my turf, my rules. What has worked well for my yard in New Mexico is having corrugated roofing sheets on their sides wired to my fencing and buried down about 4", overlapping each other as a barrier for entry into my yard. I still nail a few every year; one year dispatched four in one summer... we get four different species here too, and all venomous. (FYI, I feed my tarantulas). On the other hand, my neighbor pops our cute widdle bunny wabbits because they "eat his expensive shrubberies" he planted that are totally non-indigenous. Won't even eat 'em afterwards, the a-hole.

Out in the woods and deserts, their turf. Farms, ranches, pastures, they gotta go, period. I'm amazed at all living creatures, and all have their place in the ecosystem, but my back yard ain't one of 'em. Or the front yard for that matter.

EDIT: And to the OP, if you're donor-cycling in the back country and killing any snake you encounter just because it's a buzz-worm, it's kinda like sting-rays...... you takes yer chances. Take a stick and shoo it off your trail. Horses or cattle nearby is different.... but just to kill, hope karma doesn't catch up.

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2016 at 04:41 PM

Toronja? Agree on the dog shots...When we were doing the hunting business, we usually had 3-4 dogs bitten per year Seems the ones with the shots did better, kind of a different deal though..dogs seem to be bitten in the xtremities....As I remember 2 lost legs one older Lab died, fat out of shape...Vet said heart attack.....Shots are cheap or free..doesn't hurt to hedge your bets...Buddha? These dog shots are NOT antivenins...They are a sort of preventative boosted every year...Our vets here give then free..

[Edited on 3-21-2016 by chuckie]

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.