Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Coco speak English?
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 06:58 AM
Coco speak English?

Driven past Coco's enough now to ask. Does he speak English?
Reason I have driven past is I don't comprehend espanol. Mia espanol is mucho malo. I've been afraid to ask. I just figured, what with seems "everyone" stops by & visits, are those who speak Spanish fluently, or are of Spanish heritage and it just flows naturally for them. Be going down next October, and would enjoy knowing if he does or doesn't speak English. Thanks responders in advance. Love getting the road condition reports as "you" drive through on occasion. Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now without finding anyone on it, as everyone is going this way now that the road is better. My wife HATES driving through the mountains with freight trucks leading the way at 5mph, and my thinking "I've got to pass them now, or I'll never make it to G.N. before dark."
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 07:14 AM

Perhaps Waukegan, would be a better choice of destinations?

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 07:17 AM

Spanglish. Communication is no problemo. He gets sad and disappointed when cars drive by without stopping. Be sure and sign the guest book.

[Edited on 3-27-2016 by ehall]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 07:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Phil S  
Reason I have driven past is I don't comprehend espanol. Mia espanol is mucho malo. I've been afraid to ask. I just figured, what with seems "everyone" stops by & visits, are those who speak Spanish fluently, or are of Spanish heritage and it just flows naturally for them. Be going down next October, and would enjoy knowing if he does or doesn't speak English. Thanks responders in advance. Love getting the road condition reports as "you" drive through on occasion. Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now without finding anyone on it, as everyone is going this way now that the road is better. My wife HATES driving through the mountains with freight trucks leading the way at 5mph, and my thinking "I've got to pass them now, or I'll never make it to G.N. before dark."

???

Perhaps you should stick to vacationing at knots berry farm, eh?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 07:45 AM

Like all you critics spik da lingo down here, eh? :light:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 07:51 AM

Just offering creative options, Dennis! Happy easter..Hug a Bunny!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 08:48 AM

Coco understands every word of English
he speaks it as well as most of us down here are with Spanish - a little bumpy

if you really want to make him happy - visit when nobody visits
Christmas, Thanksgiving

Harald Pietschmann
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Just offering creative options, Dennis! Happy easter..Hug a Bunny!

...or Bug a Honey

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:19 AM

That road hasn't needed 4WD since 1986 when it was graded.
The 50 some miles between San Felipe and Puertecitos is still old style slow highway with many sudden, steep dips (vados).
Coco has been speaking English since before his Corner began in the 90s. He used to be at Cielito Lindo. You can hear him talk in the movie Dust to Glory, too. Enjoy Mexico, Spanish is optional but fun if you try.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:28 AM

Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now

Yukon xl is quite a boat! A bit of overkill for just 2 people, eh? Btw, that road is doable in most any vehicle.
It's still faster to go why 1 if starting from San Diego
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Bought a Yukon XL 4X4 last year especially for driving this road. Now seems like it was a waste of money. Maybe I could go back to driving hwy 1 now

Yukon xl is quite a boat! A bit of overkill for just 2 people, eh? Btw, that road is doable in most any vehicle.

You should try it again, eliminating the drive through Ensenada, mmountain sections, and over a dozen farm towns really makes Hwy. 5 faster for most. But, what's your hurry?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:44 AM

I am pretty sure Coco has spent some time in the US. He is competent in conversation, including a lot of slang and jargon.

As an added bonus, when I try my Spanish with him, he politely corrects me so that I don't sound as foolish when I use it in the future.

I am sure that you will enjoy your stop there on your next trip, and hope Coco is there. It is a shame that so far, you have forgone one of the bits of 'color' that make Baja special.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

You should try it again, eliminating the drive through Ensenada, mmountain sections, and over a dozen farm towns really makes Hwy. 5 faster for most. But, what's your hurry?

I like Ensenada. I like the farm towns. I prefer the scenery on the pacific side. Catavina is my favorite stop on the drive south,... a day spent bouldering and exploring at Catavina and surrounding mountains (just west of Catavina) beats anything on the east side.
basautter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 10:18 AM

Yes he does, and he is quite entertaining!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 10:51 AM

I too have a Yukon XL Denali and love it for the drive up and back. Lots of room for people and/or stuff. Comfortable and competent. I average 18mpg on the trip and with 405hp it makes passing those trucks a snap.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 11:09 AM

Coco loves for people to stop and visit. If you would like to take him something, he loves chocolate chip cookies. You could also give him a 12 pack of coke or 7 up or a case of bottled water. I'm not sure but he probably resells them to people stopping by. I usually take him a bag of rice and pinto beans. Another one of his favorites is tomatoes. Chicken soup and menudo too. Most any can food he'll gladly accept.

He sells Pacifico beer, a little pricey but if you take him something he may give it to you.

He also sells T shirts with Cocos Corner on them.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 11:14 AM

I always stop for a 500 peso Pacifico...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am pretty sure Coco has spent some time in the US. He is competent in conversation, including a lot of slang and jargon.

IIRC, Coco told a friend of mine that he was once pursuing a girl in the SoCal area. When he went to her house, she turned him down. It was a long time ago, as I understand it.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 01:07 PM

Love your headline - you must not be a native English speaker

Harald Pietschmann
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-27-2016 at 01:33 PM

Does he speak English? Ask him for a cold beer. His response will answer your question.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.