Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sad news from BoLA
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 04:36 PM
Sad news from BoLA

Antonio Resendez had a heart attack today at 1pm and died. The town is shocked. He will be missed greatly. I knew him well and I will miss him.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 04:57 PM

DEP:saint:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 07:38 PM

Tell us a little about him. I did not know him.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 07:53 PM

Sad indeed. I said hi to him Saturday as I was walking by when he was having his morning coffee on the porch. He had Campo Archelon and was a big supporter of Graham M when he passed thru town on his adventures.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 09:43 PM

So sorry... he was well liked and will be missed.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2016 at 10:31 PM

Oh no, I'm so sorry to read this. My heart felt condolences to Betty and family. This is so sad. Antonio, rest in peace.

Paulina

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 05:53 AM

Antonio was a marine biologist, getting his degree in Ensenada. He was instrumental in establishing the turtle research facility in BOLA. If you recall, a few years ago a loggerhead was captured off of Japan with a tracking device and it was one from his station. This helped solve the mystery of where the loggerheads went after laying their eggs on the beaches.
Google his name and you will see many articles regarding his work.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 07:17 AM

Very sad. He did important conservation work for sea turtles and other marine species.

When I first met him in 1995 he and his volunteers were rehabilitating sea turtles in his facility, and raising two pelican chicks that had been rescued after being abandoned on an island nearby. That was a big El Niņo year and very few chicks were surviving due to lack of food.

He had been a student at CICESE in Ensenada, and earned his degree at UABC before setting up his work in BOLA. He had an inspiring passion and commitment to marine life.

I hope his work will continue despite his passing. DEP Antonio.

[Edited on 3-29-2016 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 07:47 AM

Sounds like he was a good man. Condolences to his family and friends. DEP.

Bajapete

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 08:03 AM

Very sad indeed. We were scheduled to have dinner with him this Thursday. Life is short amigos, enjoy EVERY day.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 09:13 AM

Antonio picked my friend and I up hitchhiking at the Bahia de LA turnoff on Hwy 1 in 1980. We stayed with him at the trailer park for a week or so . He taught us about turtles and we went out in his boat to several study sites around the bay.
He was an inspiration to me and was one of the reasons that I studied Biology/Natural History in college.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
Antonio was a marine biologist, getting his degree in Ensenada. He was instrumental in establishing the turtle research facility in BOLA. If you recall, a few years ago a loggerhead was captured off of Japan with a tracking device and it was one from his station. This helped solve the mystery of where the loggerheads went after laying their eggs on the beaches.
Google his name and you will see many articles regarding his work.

Thanks, I would have liked to meet him. God speed Antonio.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 10:55 AM

RIP
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 11:12 AM

Someone I wish I'd known. Condolences to his friends and family.
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 03:56 PM

Saddened to hear this....

My friends grandparents were caretakers for his sanctuary when he was out of town saving turtles from all over Mexico. We had the pleasure of meeting him and learning a lot about his cause in the 90s (when I was in my 20s) He really changed my perspective about these creatures and other wildlife.

I hope that someone with carry the torch and continue what he created with the same passion.

[Edited on 3-29-2016 by stiladam]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
If you recall, a few years ago a loggerhead was captured off of Japan with a tracking device and it was one from his station.

From Wikipedia:

"The turtles are transported by the prevailing currents across the full length of the northern Pacific, one of the longest migration routes of any marine animal.[20] The return journey to the natal beaches in Japan has been long suspected, although the trip would cross unproductive clear water with few feeding opportunities.[21] Evidence of a return journey came from an adult female loggerhead named Adelita, which in 1996, equipped with a satellite tracking device, made the 14500-km (9000-mi) trip from Mexico across the Pacific. Adelita was the first animal of any kind ever tracked across an ocean basin."

Amazing animal.

Condolences to friends and family of Antonio.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 05:27 PM

i met him years ago. He showed me around the camp. Very nice guy.
peterbreslin

[*] posted on 3-29-2016 at 10:58 PM

Truly a force of nature and a spectacular host, enthusiastic, friendly and knowledgeable about the area and passionate about the history and beauty of Bahia de Los Angeles. He will be sadly missed.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 11:22 AM

I had the great honor to meet Tony awhile back via a mutual friend and we talked about our conservation work out here at San Martin Island. Tony expressed an interest in making a trip out to our camp at the island, perhaps later this year. Cristina and I were never able to follow up on his invitation to visit him and Bety at their home in Bahia de Los Angeles. A very stinging reminder of the perils of putting off plans for a day that may never come.

Here are some very touching words I shared from Tony's cousin, Pepe Morales Sánchez Hidalgo...

"It was with terrible regret I received the sad news of the death of an icon for all who had the honor - because it was an honor - to meet and know our great cousin Toņo. A young rebel who left the nest early in life to travel far, as far as Ensenada, Baja California, which in those distant times seemed like another world, to pursue a career in those new and unknown decades. Toņo greatly influenced the lives of his brothers and cousins for years; he was culturally, physically and mentally a step ahead, farsighted and with political vision.

He was an enemy of corrupt politicians, leaders, swindlers, priests and religions; ignorant and petulant, Toņo lived in the most complete state of coexistence with nature, which he not only loved but protected at any cost, without any presumption or expectation of applause or recognition.

I remember family gatherings with his beloved parents, Uncle Toņo and his beloved house in Coyoacan; there was my mother and my father, the latter who loved him as a son; My Aunt Bertha, my grandmother Enedina and Runfla. As his cousins and friends we loved hearing of his adventures and projects. It was much more than just a reading of Toņo's letters; the letters were like the gospel according to San Antonio.

Today he is no longer on Mother Earth and I find it unexplainable, unusual and extremely upsetting. The good souls leave us and the world is left with trash like Donald Trump and other like garbage, littering the world with con artists.

His wife Bety, his children Toņito and Ale; and his brother and sister - my brother and sister, Nena and Manolo, I send my loving embrace with my weak and failing attempt to find the words of comfort.

What I do know very well, is that I will never forget him and today he now forms part of the vital substance of the universe that continues to grow and push us to continue to reach to its almost infinite limits.

Rest in Peace Toņo..."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/127977108...

Super Tony.jpg - 197kB

[Edited on 3-30-2016 by BajaGringo]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2016 at 11:43 AM

What great words. A fitting tribute.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.