Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tioga & George in Baja
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 05:33 PM
Tioga & George in Baja

See this link http://vagabonders-supreme.net/blog/blog.html for a lengthy blog written by a single guy now wandering around Baja with a Tioga MH and Motosat.

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!

-- A simple operating practice.

‘Global warming’ has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices.

-- Prof. P. Stott

Time was, people warning the world \"Repent - the end is nigh!\" were snickered at as fruitcakes.

Now they own the media and run the schools.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 07:11 PM

BB,

I became interested in George's Blog a couple of years ago when I first began my research for mobile internet service. We, along with numerous others I'm sure, encouraged him to see the Baja peninsula. His experiences are great and he has a winning personality.

Owing to my contact with him, he stopped by to see us when we were still living in the Santa Ynez Valley (CA) and we hope to meet up with him on his return trip from "down south."

I'm not sure he wants--and I'm not encouraging him--to leave the pavement at L. Chapala and take Route 5. We'll trot down to the jct and try to hook up.

His Blog is well worth the visit.

PJC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
BB,

I became interested in George's Blog a couple of years ago when I first began my research for mobile internet service.

He is one self sufficient guy. I suspect he speaks spanish as well. What did he do before he retired?

‘Global warming’ has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices.

-- Prof. P. Stott

Time was, people warning the world \"Repent - the end is nigh!\" were snickered at as fruitcakes.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:15 AM

Thanks for the link, BB

George is fascinating and a great role model for courage...of the spritual kind, as well as physical.

I am hooked by his commentary and beautiful photos and look forward to reading all of his posts.

BTW, BB, I am some parts blue and some partls red, what would you call me? :) :(

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
PJC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Thanks for the link, BB

George is fascinating and a great role model for courage...of the spritual kind, as well as physical.

I am hooked by his commentary and beautiful photos and look forward to reading all of his posts.

He needs a camera upgrade. That old Mavica is not doing him justice.

Quote:

BTW, BB, I am some parts blue and some partls red, what would you call me? :) :(

Likely, just like me...

I am much more "anti extreme left" than anything else. The partisan display you see is targeted.

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by Baja Blackie]

-- Prof. P. Stott

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 10:48 AM

You understand that George's Spanish is still in the learning stage, and often, things are not completely understood during a conversation.

That's Geo describing his fluency, but he tends to be modest.

Incidentally, today's entries are typical of his experiences in Baja. You'd never know his linguistic abilites are limited. His gregariousness makes up for any shortcomings.

Good on ya', George.

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by bufeo]

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 11:11 AM

Boy, I screwed up that "Edit".

BB, in my original Reply, I had asked you for any suggestions re: digital cameras.

I have a Fuji S7000, 6x optical, 3.2 digital, which I thought might be a good "entry-level" camera for a novice like me.

Any thoughts?

I had also stated that my wife is a cancer survivor and when George stopped in for lunch in 2003 we were so fascinated about his new adventure that I cannot remember what his career was. My journal notes are not handy at the moment.

Here's what George says about himself:

He is the only human aboard the Team and his main job is to drive Ms. Tioga.

PJC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
BB, in my original Reply, I had asked you for any suggestions re: digital cameras.

I have a Fuji S7000, 6x optical, 3.2 digital, which I thought might be a good "entry-level" camera for a novice like me.

Any thoughts?

I'd answer here but, Stephen Ford should be in on this exchange over on Baja.net. We have a forum for Photo tech and we are all rank novices compared to Stephen.

Quote:

I had also stated that my wife is a cancer survivor and when George stopped in for lunch in 2003 we were so fascinated about his new adventure that I cannot remember what his career was. My journal notes are not handy at the moment.

Thanks kindly. I am still interested when you find them.

Quote:

Here's what George says about himself:

He is the only human aboard the Team and his main job is to drive Ms. Tioga.

This guy is a character and a boon to Baja rv'ers. Perhaps we can coax him up the the DP Racing/Baja.net Chili Cook-off in March? I am going to email him tonight to plant the seed.

[Edited on 1-31-2005 by Baja Blackie]

[Edited on 1-31-2005 by Baja Blackie]

-- Prof. P. Stott

bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 10:16 PM

This is from today's Blog from George:

When you come to Mexico, do not be afraid to dive right into Mexican life. Order food at the taco stands. Walk thru the neighborhoods. Listen to the music, and talk with the people. Unforgettable!

This is not a patronizing statement. You must read from George's complete journal to get a feel for what he's experiencing.

George is not the typical "travel-in-a-caravan-RV'er". Far from it. He's having an experience of a lifetime.

I won't be surprised to see that he's decided to continue on southeast via the a ferry and then the Darian Gap...assuming Ms Tioga could make that.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.