BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Paying property taxes online - does the online system ever work?
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

question.gif posted on 3-31-2016 at 11:39 AM
Paying property taxes online - does the online system ever work?

I'm beginning to think it's a Mex gov't plot to force me to pay the late penalty on my property taxes... (how's that for paranoid thinking?)

Background: we have a fideicomiso on a lot in Cabo Pulmo. Last year in April (bcz I couldn't access the online system earlier from the U.S.) I went to the local government office in La Ribera to pay our property tax. I showed them our passports, a copy of previous year's property tax receipt (which we had paid in person in San Jose), and a copy of our fideicomiso. They had some trouble finding us in their system, but finally found our property. I was there for about an hour (I was their only customer) but my final understanding was that there was some problem with how our property's information was entered into the computer system, and that they corrected it, and that in the future we should be able to pay our property taxes online from the U.S.

This was great news, because of the discount received for early payment. We sometimes go to Baja in March or April, but not always, so in-person payment isn't always doable.

This year, had the minor distraction of surgery for a torn left bicep and detached supraspinatus tendon on my rotator cuff in February, so am only now thinking about the Baja property taxes. So I go online, and find that the government website for payment of property taxes is kablooie with a "Parser Error": http://www.eloscabos.gob.mx:8080/E_LOSCABOS/PREDIAL/Consulta...

I tried accessing the site from a couple other pages, but with the same result.

Has anyone else had better luck? Does the online property tax payment system *ever* work anymore? Or am I just catching it on a bad day?

Frustrated....
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 12:21 PM

Julie,

the discount period for the property taxes start here at/about October 16th.

It gives me plenty of time to figure out the payment, not to be late, and to face the stiff penalties......:)

Karl
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 02:40 PM

Hi Karl - Do you use the government website to pay your taxes online? (does the website work for you these days? It worked for me a few years ago, but not for the past few years)

If not, how do you determine what your taxes will be? Visiting the local municipal office?

We have only once received an actual property tax bill.

I hadn't realized until today, reading earlier posts on this forum, that it was possible to pay the taxes as early as October. Since that's the case, we can pay next year's taxes ahead of time when we're in Baja this fall.

Julie
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-31-2016 at 03:06 PM
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 05:43 PM

Julie,

I walk into the office with a ton of money, to pay that property tax bill, and walk out of it again with most of it......

I always take the last year bill/receipt with me, so the acct number matches easily, and the amount has not changed over the years.

One year, I was one day too early, and they would not take my money.....yeah, those German roots.....

Karl
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 06:23 PM

I always pay in person, but read about others success doing it on line.

The govt web site does work if you prearrange to have your credit card approved for a Mx on line use. Otherwise all you should need is your clave number.
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 10:44 AM

HI,
I always pay online. Sometimes it has taken a couple months to get to get it to go through. This yr it took 3 tries. In the beginning there was a number that was 1 digit off when I looked at my fidi bill and a copy of the fidi I had. The fidi company (fidiwhat?) fixed it for me. Now its all good but still, I have never been able to pay the first try.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2016 at 09:00 PM

Julie, don't get your hopes up. La Paz and Los Cabos municipals are different. We haven't ever been able to pay ours until the year starts.
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 07:38 AM

I just went online yesterday and paid no problem which usually doesn't happen for me.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 08:54 AM

Never tried on line, but don't really need to. The bill is so low that paying late is hardly an issue. I've only paid late once (usually pay early) but the penalty was about a nice dinner out, no big deal. That was years ago, maybe it's different now.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 10:58 AM

Got my hopes up that on-line might work today, as I got as far as being able to enter our Clave Catastral...and then got a "Server Error in '/' Application."

Oh well:-).

As ncampion said above, the late fees aren't going be disablingly high (we paid a few months late a couple of years ago, and they weren't too bad), so if we have to wait until we're in Baja to pay, we can do that.

Thanks everyone.
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 11:31 AM

The Catastro in Los Cabos had a requirement of "registering" properties when you paid the predial last year. They wouldn't accept payment until this was confirmed. They had a guy out front processing the information. Simply showing a CURP, and Forma Migratorio, and/or passport.

Maybe this is why you are having problems.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2016 at 02:33 PM

Well, last year I went through that process of showing passports, etc. Actually, have done so the past two years. And after I paid prop taxes in person last year, they said I should be able to pay online in the future. So that sounds liked they "registered" us. Maybe.
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 08:57 AM

Follow-up: today the online system let me get as far as showing me my property tax bill, but couldn't pay - received the following message: "No se puede pagar en linea, ya que no esta dado alta en el padron de personas."

I understand the first part about "you can't pay online", but the second half of the sentence isn't clear. Google Translate is baffled as well: "...as this not as high in the padron people.":P

My guess is it means "You haven't been authorized." ?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2016 at 09:14 AM

You're making progress!

el Padrón de personas = "the Register of persons" according to google

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.