Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Here's a thread about a recent visit to Ensenada
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 09:12 PM
Here's a thread about a recent visit to Ensenada

Go to this link:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=56783&pid=8170...

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 1-28-2005 at 10:30 PM
I dunno what to say

About that Keith guy. Methinks he had quite a few adult beverages during his journey. Estero Beach a "dump"?:lol: What a doofus:P He never even got close to the good places!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 06:10 AM
Thanks for that Ensenada and area info....

We have been making eating and lodging decisions in and around Ensenada for many years and are mostly disappointed in the eating department. Maybe this will change our luck of picking a good place.

I have to agree with one poster's thought on a good hotel...'Papagayos' on the sea (northside)...it is the only place to stay in that town. Friendly in the extreme...spacious single or duplex casitas with charming decor and period furniture...deep tubs for soaking away hours of driving pains..way too low prices..and away from the mobscene and cruiseboat claptrap stands.

We have stayed at:
San Nicholas 'Resort'..hah!..Cortez Hotel..car stolen from lot....and a bunch of newer hi-rise hotels that don't make it..La Fonda..after our neighbor was stabbed and left for dead, we don't stop anywhere near there.

It was an interesting and humorous read...thanks. We will try some of the recommendations on our next trip north.

[Edited on 10-29-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 09:04 AM
Good read, thanks...

I too was surprised at the description of the Estero Beach hotel as a "dump". But he actually said the "Estrella Beach Hotel". The guy's spelling was obviously atrocious but is it possible that he didn't mean Estero Beach? Is there an Estrella Beach Hotel?
++Ken++
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 11:02 AM
Gypsie Jan

Being gracious, I am just glad he does not post here.

A great salesman for the Baja that I love?????

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 11:13 AM

Amen. There's a lot more to Ensenada than the two blocks along the harbor, but to each his own.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 07:43 PM

Bernie,

I believe that he is being satiric as well as brutally outspoken with his impressions.

Please note that in his thread; 1) He states that he loves Mexico and intends to return soon, and is looking for recommendations for his next trip, and 2) Although he was transiting TJ during one of the worst days ever (my SO was trying to get to SD that day and the runoff on the road through TJ was three feet deep, water, rocks, dead bodies plus the rerouting of the maing roads and ???), his remarks were fair and light-hearted, and 3) He had more positive remarks, in my mind (I didn't count), than negative.

I would rather read a detailed and considered-opinion, recent trip report from a traveler like Keith (I hope I have remembered his name) than listen to the evening news or read a daily paper horror story that is a default, knee-jerk take by the mass media.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 07:49 PM

P.S. I don't know the guy from Adam, I was just taken by the post.

I think that people who take the time to share their experiences (especially in such a vivid and detailed way) are worth sharing and you can put it through your own B.S. filter and make your own opinions.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.