BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Current highway 5 report from 2016
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 01:20 PM
Current highway 5 report from 2016

Anyone a betting person? I will bet 10 Pacifco�s to your one Pacifico that the road will not be totally paved by 12/31/16. To go one step further, I will bet 5 of my Pacifico�s to your 1 that it will not be completed by 12/31/17! I don�t care what they say or write. Anyone, anyone?

I was in a Ford F350 dually diesel with a 4,500 LB cab-over camper in the back.

Last Sunday, April 3rd going northbound, I took highway #5 from the turn off at highway #1. There have been numerous reports on this board about it and here is my dos centavos worth. Keep in mind I am neither an off roader (except playing around with my ATV) nor a mechanic so the below is based on a layman�s opinion.

Unless you have a true off road vehicle, it�s pretty damn bad. Its 23 +- miles of which the middle 1/3 is very rocky and the rest just bad. I took my time and it was just under 2 � hours from pavement to pavement. I can handle washboard and overall about 1/3 � � of the time it was only washboard but the other part was pretty rocky. You do not need a 4 wheel drive or lifted car as I saw everything from large SUV�s to small SUV�s, small beater sedans and trucks. In my opinion, cars and non-off road vehicles will sooner or later be affected by the extremely bumpy drive. Very bumpy and cars are just not made to take that beating. I observed only a handful of workers here and there and not the buzz of activity that others have reported. You can tell they are serious about completing the road as lots of serious work has been done but keep in mind, this is Mexico.

Once I hit the pavement it was a beautiful new road and is relatively new so no pot holes or problems. (Yet)

Bottom line, would I take it that way again? Not in the same rig and probably not unless I was going to the mid-west or east coast as it does save some miles and you do get to bypass S.Q., Ensenada and T.J.

I know I am going to get a lot of flak for being so negative on this dirt road as there are more adventurous people out there that will have no problem with it. Go ahead and try it and report back, it won�t kill ya. Think I might wait until the pavement or the Cubs win the World Series, whatever comes first. :))

I did camp in Rancho Grande and it was gorgeous, thanks everyone for touting me on that one.

[Edited on 3-27-2019 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 01:37 PM

I don't have to commute on 5 but I will really miss that last little peaceful serene section of dirt through the passes.
Bottom line is it's good for Mexico and the proposed finish does seem a little unrealistic.

Sure would be nice 10 to 1 odds payoff though Howard ; )
Lionel :cool:

[Edited on 4-8-2016 by BajaRat]
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 01:57 PM

I will take both those bets....

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 02:05 PM

Your report is spot on with my last trip on that section, thanks for sharing.

Can I buy half of your bet with Terry28? :bounce::bounce:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Gringo Perdido

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 02:24 PM

I was told on another post today that the road is paved to within about 10 miles of Hwy 1. In my experience the worst section of that road is now a paved super hwy between Gonzaga and Puertocitos. Call me a glutton but we used that route every year for over a decade so we could surf on the west coast before fishing out of Gonzaga Bay and then head up to San Felipe. It is a long drive and has taken a toll on vehicles that were not worthy of it. My 2WD Dakota did better than the Land Rover. Personally I hope they never finish it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 02:37 PM

I would be happy to buy you a Pacifico (or two) if it puts off the day that the traffic on 5 matches 1! This is a bet I hope I lose, but if I win, give the cervezas to Coco. I don't drink, and I am sure he will know what to do with them!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 02:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
Anyone a betting person? I will bet 10 Pacifco’s to your one Pacifico that the road will not be totally paved by 12/31/16. To go one step further, I will bet 5 of my Pacifico’s to your 1 that it will not be completed by 12/31/17! I don’t care what they say or write. Anyone, anyone?

Howard, your on. I love cold Beer. Even if I have to give one up on 2016 bet, I will get it back on the 2017 part. Rules though. can't be like DavidK and throw extra road in We are talking about the last 23 miles. correct?

Yes, the last 23 miles is still not for every one. Going across it, again, next week.

We on?

chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 04:55 PM

Went over twice last month .2 southbound and 2 northbound.
Both southbounds pulling trailer 1 hr.30 minutes. North bound purpose built Ford 1995 Bronco 32 minutes. Second trip Ford F250 no trailer exactly 40 minutes 3 out of 4 in daylight which makes a BIG difference (POTHOLES) I keep thinking I'd never do it again but am rewarded with super clean (fast) highway to the north and in both directions no TJ Ensenada San Quentin no lights/buses/ topos /crowed streets and then throw in the best scenery you could ask for. Like childbirth. painful during but quickly forgotten. At least that's what I told.....:)
So I'd do it again and can only imagine what it will eventually become...
totalimpact

Mood: Need to go south

[*] posted on 4-8-2016 at 09:46 PM

Considering this road to get to Mulege, still on the edge tho, hoping for some encouragement, or tell me to stay out.

I was down that road about 10 years ago just exploring and stopped around 3 miles off the pavement, so I am completely unfamiliar with the rest.

Any pictures of the nasty rocky area? How far does the nice road go from Puertocitos? How bad are the potholes right now between SF and Puertocitos?

Some friends that went down few weeks back said the 1 is really bad around Catavina, probably worse after spring break, so this is whats pushing me towards the 5.

I drive a F250 4x4, but sometimes on these ruff roads I wish for something with lighter springs, who will push me in to this beating? ;)
tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 04:42 AM

Did it on Thursday in a F150 4x4 stock truck, took 53 minutes, some sharp rocks, some washboards, but overall a piece of cake compared to what it used to be, I bet 10-12 miles of it we were flying along 40-45 mph graded dirt. But being a gambling man, not a chance that road is done by 1-1-2017...............no way, maybe if the Caltrans sends 3000 workers to come down and finishes it....lol
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 04:58 AM

I have NEVER felt this piece is any worse than a lot of the back roads in Baja. And its only 23 miles! I think it is getting a lot of attention because it's the last chunk not to be paved on 2. I have been over it 4-5 times in the past few years, aint no big deal. Go for it......It was much more of a challenge when all pretense of grading stopped at Puertocitos and one had to go over the "Sisters".......I have driven it back in the day in a 2 Wheel dr. Ford pickup, several Stock Chevy Blazers (4wd) and a 4 cylinder 4wd Isuzu Trooper...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 10:11 AM

Pacifico?

I might consider betting but you would need to raise the stake....Noche Buena or Indio....none of that downstream stuff :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 11:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by totalimpact  
Considering this road to get to Mulege, still on the edge tho, hoping for some encouragement, or tell me to stay out.

I was down that road about 10 years ago just exploring and stopped around 3 miles off the pavement, so I am completely unfamiliar with the rest.

Any pictures of the nasty rocky area? How far does the nice road go from Puertocitos? How bad are the potholes right now between SF and Puertocitos?

Some friends that went down few weeks back said the 1 is really bad around Catavina, probably worse after spring break, so this is whats pushing me towards the 5.

I drive a F250 4x4, but sometimes on these ruff roads I wish for something with lighter springs, who will push me in to this beating? ;)

Just do it....No problem at all for a truck. I've done this road 20+ times over the last couple years and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. I have a F250 also and it usually takes me around an hour from Gonzaga to Hwy 1. That's with beer stops...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 11:54 AM
A couple of things

1: If this route saves you a lot of time, you should take as it's just nerve racking on what you think is happening to your car. It can be done in almost any vehicle, no special requirements. As some have said, it is no worse than other back roads but if you have the option and it doesn't save you lots of time, take the normal route of highway #1.

2: Might of been a little quick on the draw about the 5-1 bet for 12/31/17 but will honor my commitments. Absolutely sticking to my 10-1 bet for 12/31/16

3: Terry28, were on with the wager of Pacifico with dtbushpilot as my partner. If you would like I can have my people talk to your people about drawing up a contract. :biggrin: Yes, we are talking about the 23 miles

Now keep in mind that we might ask David for a map for final verification as there might be a Mission somewhere along there! (Just playing with you David :)) ) In case of any disagreements we can have David mediate.

[Edited on 4-9-2016 by Howard]

George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 12:45 PM

I know that this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know if some of the new bypass is completed, but not open to traffic?

On my first trip down 5, I remember seeing four or five miles of new road just south of Puertecto that was pretty much done, but still not open yet. I suspect they still had some bridge work to finish, but that is speculation.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 12:52 PM

1: If this route saves you a lot of time, you should take as it's just nerve racking on what you think is happening to your car. It can be done in almost any vehicle, no special requirements. As some have said, it is no worse than other back roads but if you have the option and it doesn't save you lots of time, take the normal route of highway #1.

2: Might of been a little quick on the draw about the 5-1 bet for 12/31/17 but will honor my commitments. Absolutely sticking to my 10-1 bet for 12/31/16

3: Terry28, were on with the wager of Pacifico with dtbushpilot as my partner. If you would like I can have my people talk to your people about drawing up a contract. :biggrin: Yes, we are talking about the 23 miles

Now keep in mind that we might ask David for a map for final verification as there might be a Mission somewhere along there! (Just playing with you David :)) ) In case of any disagreements we can have David mediate.

I only want part of the 2016 bet, you're on your own on the 2017 :lol::lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 01:31 PM

IN on the 5:1 for 12/31/17 putting up my 5 Pacificos to your case.
IN on the 10:1 for 12/31/16 putting up my 3 Pacificos to your 30.
NO verification necessary by anyone who doesn't drive that stretch.

I think there's a bunch of roadbed that's already in place and just awaiting a pave over and completed bridges. We might need a judgement on them opening the road with drive arounds at the bridges. I can see them doing that to claim early completion. (Not like a US contractor would pull that same tactic.)

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Howard
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 02:32 PM
Definition of complete and the rules of payoff

My definition of complete is that it is complete! No temporary detours, ABSOLUTELY no dirt or gravel bypass, and the paved road is permanent with painted stripes, not a temporary route. If I was trying to get out of the bet I would also say my car would be just as clean on one end as the other but this is Baja so I won't throw that in.

Not that I am worried, but here are some other definitions of the wager.

All payoffs must be drunk (no pun intended) in it's entirety at the time of payoff. As an example, if I win, I will drink my beer with you drinking anything you like. If you win you drink 5 or 10 and I drink anything I like. If you don't finish, we go to the
rules committee to see what penalties will be enforced. I am still putting up 1 beer to pay off either 5 or 10, not cases.

David K, would you mind being in charge of the rules committee as we might need some maps for 100% verification? :biggrin: You need to jump in here as this could be the longest thread in Nomad history without any of your wise and knowledgeable input. Come on, just come on in! :lol: :lol:
(I need some help here as a bush pilot partner that shall go unnamed has pulled out of part of the beer bet.)
I also reserve the right for additional rule changes.

George Bernard Shaw

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 03:43 PM

Whatever I can do so we all can be happy and have more Baja-oriented fun, is a-ok with me amigo!

Baja Angel and I just wish conditions were better for us so we could be there more like almost 10 years ago when this was taken of us! Anybody know where we are... a day after pitting assistance with team Baja Pits at the 2006 Baja 1000?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2016 at 04:10 PM

LA Bay
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.