Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Current highway 5 report from 2016
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 04:52 PM

A month ago I drive the 23 miles of dirt in my Honda Element AWD

I did lower my tire air pressure ( highly recommended )

1) Because I wanted to do the old road BEFORE the paving gets done.

2) Wanted me meet Coco as the NEW payed road will be a couple of miles away from Coco's corner. Who knows what will become of him ?

3) Heck, the way things are going Coco will probably be LONG gone by the time it is finished ?

By the way, I brought Coco a pair of the smallest cutest pair of Panties from one of a the 26 y/o French twins that stayed with me recently....
.He REALLY liked them........

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by Paco Facullo]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I am hoping to just letting it ride and the way I see it, I might own the whole damn brewery. :biggrin:

Did I ever mention the bet has to be paid off in Loreto or the Punta Banda area or somewhere in between? -

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by Howard]

Your making up new rules now...bet to be consumed on bet upon road Sir!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 08:05 PM

I would think that the logical place to settle up would be at Coco's Corner!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 09:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I would think that the logical place to settle up would be at Coco's Corner!

Oh Hell yes !!!!

Just left me know when and I'll be there !!!!!
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 05:18 PM
Please note the date

OK, everyone fess up, how many beers am I up to now from all you believers?

I would just like to let ithe bet ride and pass this bet on to my family as at the rate the road is going, they will be able to collect, not me due to father time. I probably will be so damn old by the time this gets completed I won't even remember where I am.
Gotta love Baja as it moves on Baja time.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I am hoping to just letting it ride and the way I see it, I might own the whole damn brewery. :biggrin:

Did I ever mention the bet has to be paid off in Loreto or the Punta Banda area or somewhere in between? -

[Edited on 11-10-2017 by Howard]

Your making up new rules now...bet to be consumed on bet upon road Sir!

[Edited on 3-27-2019 by Howard]

[Edited on 3-27-2019 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 06:50 AM

Read this 5/16/19 on Talk Baja
JD Swed
10 hrs
Those traveling on MX 5 will run into a bottleneck south of Puertocitos at one of the go arounds of the washed out bridge. There is a semi truck fuel carrier stuck on the uphill side. There is enough room to slip carefully by but nothing bigger than a full sized pick up can make it.
Road has been blocked since Tuesday at 4pm. Scores of semi trucks at stranded on both north and south sides of the washed out bridge. No trailers of any size will be able to fit by because of the tight maneuvers needed to be made to avoid slipping off the road into a steep loose drop. No smoking as you pass the truck is leaking fuel oil.
Still blocked as of 6 pm tonight ( Wednesday). Bring extra food and water to give to the stranded drivers. There is a semi with cattle there too, not sure how to help them but they need water. We will bring the drivers some supplies in the early morning but we have limited supplies. There was no news on when a wrecker was going to show up. It’s not a simple job ahead. Good luck.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2019 at 09:20 AM

Can't you connect a few PU trucks in series and pull him up. Use radios for comms.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-17-2019 at 10:48 AM

No blockage anymore. Just breezed through from Chapala to San Felipe in 2.5 hours.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 11:50 AM

Thanks for the report David K
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 11:50 AM

Tuesday 4:30 pm fuel oil truck, stuck. Two full tanks, would have pulled several pickups off the cliff with it I think. The trailers were jacked up and the back trailer tank rear wheels were almost hanging over the edge of the road on one side and a narrow passage with a crumbly soft shoulder next to a drop off on the other. There were several other people parked there and all trying to decide to try it, then one guy made it, and then some guy comes along in an old Landcriuser (I think) and barely slows down and smiles and waves as he drives right around it perilously close to the edge. I decided to not risk going around it and returned to Octavios camp for the night. Next morning half a dozen semis stuck unable to pass. Took a deep breath and squeezed by in my pickup, 20 foot drop next to road. I have a long bed and sometimes a short wheelbase really is better in the sticky spots.

Returning northbound on Friday it was gone, looked like a dozer pulled it out judging from the tracks on the road. Some oil leaked but it looked like it had been cleaned up a little.
only in Baja.

That little section and another similar one a few miles down the road would be challenging to tow a trailer due to steep grade and ruts right now but doable with a good tow vehicle.

Further south, I attempted to access the new highway route that bypasses Cocos but it had big rocks across it, N29 34' 52.9" W114 22' 41.2". Unable to access the new route.

smaller baja cinco islas May 2014 002.jpg - 187kB

[Edited on 5-18-2019 by bajaric]
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2019 at 02:51 PM

Thanks for the photo Ric. We went south on Monday and north on Friday, like you and totally missed that both directions.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.