Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Baja Days & Coyote Nights - A Trip Report
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:04 AM

Thanks for all the kind responses!

As to the coyote bite: he bit me on the top of my head from the forehead back towards where one would have a cowlick.

Only one tooth penetrated the skin near my forehead just with in my hairline.

Our biggest concern is/was rabies. We cleaned it well at the time and put some first aid cream on it.

At this time it is just a small scab which I expect to be gone in a few more days.

As to coyotes attacking, I too was hesitant to believe they would approach adult humans so closely prior to this and all the reading I have done since has changed my outlook on them.

PBS did a bit on the COYWOLF which is on Netflix. They say that there could be hundreds of coyotes in the metro Chicago area alone.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Amazing words, photos and experiences. I hope to one day do a solo trip with my daughter, all grown up, where she repairs a compressor or whatever. Cool girl you have! Nice report. THANKS.

And Woody also.....

The air compressor failed due to the air intake valve breaking. They are just little flaps of metal that allow airflow in only one direction.

My daughter removed the 'head', cut a temp flap valve out of plastic, wedged in place and taped it down and put it all back together.

It worked, we aired up the tires and were on our way. :)
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Awesome!

The coyote attack made me think of the rabid burro in Graham's book. Hopefully, there is no issue.

I'd love to know where the stone compass is.

BigBearRider This a popular spot with way more than what I showed. I have GPS tracks of the whole trip but will not be home for a few more days yet.

If someone doesn't chime and give a better idea by then I will update this.

I access it a few miles north of the military checkpoint that is a a few miles north of Villa Jesus Maria.

You are then on the southern portion of the dirt road that goes a 100 miles northward along the pacific ocean which is an awesome trip to do.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Those of us with short attention spans appreciate you putting your trip report in a chapter format! While I am glad you made it home, I was looking forward to the next chapter.

I was at Dagget's camp in BOLA in 2013, and my deaf old dog slept right through a coyote raid on my food supply just four feet away from us. It was a sneak attack, and the critter bolted when discovered, and this was not in the dead of the night. There was a loud party going on that night not a hundred feet away from my camp.

The dog I have now is large, strong and alert enough that I can't imagine a coyote getting that close to us again. She is more than a match for a single coyote, but it is my responsibility to make sure that she is not able to chase one back to the rest of the pack!

Thank You too for the kind responses and you are right - how can one convey some much details in a post put not lose all of us that have shorter attention span....someday perhaps I will learn.

Very good point about your current dog....whether true or not I have heard stories of small groups of coyotes luring dogs out then attacking them.

Somehow keep her restrained but able to defend/alert you in the immediate area.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:55 AM

Great trip report. So glad you were able to make such a special trip with your daughter. Nothing like a daughter who can get 'er done!

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 09:24 AM

Yes, the rock work is done by one guy, He lives there a lot of the winter. If you're a long time camper there in the winter and help them collect the rocks eventually you'll get a oven made. He is a very nice guy and if you spend sometime there you'll get to know him.

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I do enjoy that place, there are a couple of more ovens, he will build you for you if you ask and gather up the rocks. The compass is very impressive. the "Archy Thing"and the compass are pure art.

I had a Coyote lick my face one night after making tempura for dinner, it never occurred to me I might have been bit until now. I also watched one being hand feed by a couple of knuckle headed tourist. This was is Joshua Tree in the 80's.

[Edited on 4-11-2016 by MMc]

What is that area referred to as? And 'who' will build you an oven? Did one person do most of that?

MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE!!!!:lol: :lol:

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 09:42 AM

Do a search for MV-50 or whatever the model number is. I did a repair write up. I used a TKT tab for my flapper.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 03:15 PM

Enjoyed your trip report a lot --- excellent job and very descriptive pictures. Overall, it sounds like you both had a great time!

Coyote bite, wow. Just my 2 cents --- are you up to date with your tetanus shot. Never know where that coyote tooth was before.

Those accidents are always difficult to erase from one's mind. Sad, very sad.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  
Enjoyed your trip report a lot --- excellent job and very descriptive pictures. Overall, it sounds like you both had a great time!

Coyote bite, wow. Just my 2 cents --- are you up to date with your tetanus shot. Never know where that coyote tooth was before.

Those accidents are always difficult to erase from one's mind. Sad, very sad.

Thanks! :)

Tetanus? And here I was worried about a little thing like rabies and you go and make we worried about a similar problem that is even more common!

True about the accident :no:
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 04:00 PM

Nicely done Trip Report, very informative.

If Rabies was endemic to that coyote population or even if not, the medical community would have you treated. There is still not a successful treatment for the disease. Even undocumented dog bites get the treatment.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 04:14 PM

Panqueros have told me that one is usually not a problem (I bet you'd disagree?) but two or more will easily take an adult human down.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:49 PM

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 09:22 PM

To deal with coyotes to stay aggressive and cover your back. Rocks sticks help too.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 05:45 AM

How to deal with coyotes? Have we all forgotten "the Roadrunner"? beep beep.:P
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 07:30 AM
One word

ACME

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51uZA5TeRRL._SY344_BO1...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 09:54 AM
Jeep parts

This was a great trip report. How did your radiator pan out? Mopar radiators are very reliable - lasting 100,000 miles typically. I had installed a Specter (sp) radiator 3 years ago, and despite the low, low price - it is still working reliably. I plan to upgrade back to a Mopar OEM radiator after I upgrade driveshafts (due to a missing dust boot thanks to some rock damage). Your photography was excellent. How about your tires? Do they have a slow leak due to lots of hard miles off road?

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
This was a great trip report. How did your radiator pan out? Mopar radiators are very reliable - lasting 100,000 miles typically. I had installed a Specter (sp) radiator 3 years ago, and despite the low, low price - it is still working reliably. I plan to upgrade back to a Mopar OEM radiator after I upgrade driveshafts (due to a missing dust boot thanks to some rock damage). Your photography was excellent. How about your tires? Do they have a slow leak due to lots of hard miles off road?

Geez, Ken, 1 question at a time :lol:
Jeep has 270K, all original 'cept brakes, ujoints and normal routine stuff...so fan still working but now that I am home I will either 'permantly' repair or replace it.

Tires....I am cheap and poor and tires are so expensive - so I always carry plugs, a compressor, a good spare and road hazard warranty on them.... Both were replaced at no charge back in the states yesterday. One had a nail in it and one had what appeared to be a cactus thorn through the sidewall.

Thanks for the compliment on the pics but I was really lazy on camera this trip. Not many pictures, the ones I did take I left the camera on auto-blah mode and spent little time on composition and now I kinda regret it....oh well
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 06:33 AM

"I left the camera on auto-blah mode and spent little time on composition and now I kinda regret it...."
Even so - great photos. A couple of the desert morning shots, I could almost smell and feel the cool morning, the cooler sand under foot before the sun warms everything up.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 07:22 AM

Just getting into this... and it looks fantastic. I will be back to read it in depth. Thank you Fatboy, looks like we share some of the same Baja interests?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Just getting into this... and it looks fantastic. I will be back to read it in depth. Thank you Fatboy, looks like we share some of the same Baja interests?

I would say so, prefer the dirt road to main street, stargazing to window shopping, what is over the hill to what is on the next block.
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.