Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Baja Days & Coyote Nights - A Trip Report
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 09:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"I left the camera on auto-blah mode and spent little time on composition and now I kinda regret it...."
Even so - great photos. A couple of the desert morning shots, I could almost smell and feel the cool morning, the cooler sand under foot before the sun warms everything up.

Thank You for the kind words.

I just look back now that it is over wishing I would have put more effort in it because I know the possibilities are there.
bajaking76
Nomad

Mood: If Baja calls, I am home.

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 02:57 PM

Fantastic report and amazing pictures...thank you for sharing.

\"That\'s my thing, that\'s what I do\"
\"Gene Police: You!! Out Of The Pool!\"
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 11:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
Awesome!

The coyote attack made me think of the rabid burro in Graham's book. Hopefully, there is no issue.

I'd love to know where the stone compass is.

Big Bear,

I'm probably going to get black balled for saying this, but the rock art including the stone compass is at a popular spot called "The Wall." The turnoff is at KM 61 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. Neat place, great beach camping.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 12:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Awesome!

The coyote attack made me think of the rabid burro in Graham's book. Hopefully, there is no issue.

Big Bear,

I'm probably going to get black balled for saying this, but the rock art including the stone compass is at a popular spot called "The Wall." The turnoff is at KM 61 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. Neat place, great beach camping.

Thanks WestyWanderer, I could take someone there, or tell them which telephone pole to turn at, but I cannot give some coherent directions on how to get there!

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 09:22 AM

Awesome!

Big Bear,

I'm probably going to get black balled for saying this, but the

rock art including the stone compass is at a popular spot called "The Wall." The turnoff is at KM 61 just south of Nuevo Rosarito. Neat place, great beach camping.

Thanks. Very helpful. I may stop by next week!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 10:20 AM

Big Bear,

I think that is the place where some hoogabooga stuff happens to car batteries draining....and maybe other mysterious happenings....seems like a "must visit" place.

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 11:42 AM

Ged, it's to the north a few miles from the portal to the parralel universe. There is a surf spot there called Wimps and Gimps so everyone is invited.

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 11:46 AM

Wimps and Gimps....finally a beach where I can fit in....

Don't believe everything you think....
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 06:48 PM

Thank you Sir, for taking us along on your journey! You're writing and pics conveyed the emotion and vibe that can only be had in Baja. Looks like you had a great trip with your daughter. I love the randomness of turning down a road you've never been down before to find what adventures lay at its end.

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2018 at 04:50 PM

Just had a fresh look at a great Trip Report! Thanks again, Fatboy!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 01:35 PM

Thanks, David!

Was at Las Animas in the middle of Jan and had more coyote issues there. The local coyotes just have something against me I guess, at least I wasn't bitten again.

They did run off with a rubber hatch cover for one of our kayaks though.
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:05 PM

I love it. Very inspiring.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:17 PM

Too funny!
In January 2017, I camped out there on the beach just north of the estero. I noticed a Tacoma parked near the first beach (just past the abandoned fishing camp area by the estero mouth. It was actually New Years Day when I left and drove over to check on the fellow Tacoma camper to make sure he was okay.

Hi name was Abe and he was from Colorado. Abe said he was there for a while and had not finished enjoying the camp. He was fine and didn't need anything. That was so nice to know that one could just go park on a beach in Baja and not have to leave until he wanted to.

Here are the photos I took at Las Animas:
Going in Jan. 31, 2016:

Leaving Jan. 1, 2017 (it began to rain after sunrise):

The Mystery Walls, 2 miles south of the bay, up on the mesa. We explored this possible 'lost mission' in 2009: www.vivabaja.com/109

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:24 PM

Cool pictures of the clouds and rainbow.

I did find something to me which seems weird stuck in one of the large Cardons along the road there.

I have video of it, but I will have to see if I have any pictures I can post.

What it is. is a stick stuck into the cactus. What makes it weird is that it is sticking straight out and it is more than 10 feet off the ground.

My first thought is that it was and old indian arrow, it is not a smooth, round stick, but it is about the right length and thickness for what one would think an arrow should be.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:37 PM

Here are some pictures, they really don't do it justice though.

As far as the height, holding my camera tripod fully extended, as high as I can the camera would be about 4 inches above the stick.

I am 6 foot tall and I can reach another foot or foot and a half, and the tripod is a 40 inch tripod. So at least 10 feet up.

IMG_4951.JPG - 244kB

IMG_4952.JPG - 196kB
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 02:54 PM
Dog vs coyote update.

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Those of us with short attention spans appreciate you putting your trip report in a chapter format! While I am glad you made it home, I was looking forward to the next chapter.

I was at Dagget's camp in BOLA in 2013, and my deaf old dog slept right through a coyote raid on my food supply just four feet away from us. It was a sneak attack, and the critter bolted when discovered, and this was not in the dead of the night. There was a loud party going on that night not a hundred feet away from my camp.

The dog I have now is large, strong and alert enough that I can't imagine a coyote getting that close to us again. She is more than a match for a single coyote, but it is my responsibility to make sure that she is not able to chase one back to the rest of the pack!

Thank You too for the kind responses and you are right - how can one convey some much details in a post put not lose all of us that have shorter attention span....someday perhaps I will learn.

Very good point about your current dog....whether true or not I have heard stories of small groups of coyotes luring dogs out then attacking them.

Somehow keep her restrained but able to defend/alert you in the immediate area.

I had forgotten about this thread, thanks DK for bringing it back!

My new BDF (best dog friend) got her first exposure to Baja coyotes a year ago near Campo Beluga on Gonzaga Bay.

I was car camping with her, and her pre-dawn growling let me know that some critter was around. At first light, I was looking at a pack of coyotes engageing in what I would describe as a 'courting ritual' about fifty yards in front of us!

She must have a deep seated understanding of what a pack can do, because she was staring at them, but did not move or make a sound to attract their attention. I would be willing to bet that she would have been barking at a single coyote!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 03:29 PM

There is/was talk that coyotes would lure out dogs with a mating ritual only to kill them. Wonder if that was or is true.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
There is/was talk that coyotes would lure out dogs with a mating ritual only to kill them. Wonder if that was or is true.

I had heard the same thing and while in camp at the Guerrero Negro whale watching site we saw a coyote maybe 40 yards away "singing" as best as he could.
My dog liked it.
She ran over to him.
Some quiet sniffing around and off she went with Mr. Coyote.
My heart stood still - my dog was gone.
I was sure to never see her again.
No sounds of fighting or distress in the bushes.
About an hour later she walked back into camp as if nothing had happened.

So, yes, coyotes lure dogs away to meet with them.
At least in my case it was not to ambush the dog.

Harald Pietschmann
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:08 PM

"About an hour later she walked back into camp as if nothing had happened."

Your dog probably couldn't resist sum hot Mr. Baja Coyote love in the bushes..

In the Dog circles there is a rumor of wild Mexican Coyote sex.....

Would have been neat to see the puppies had she got pregnant ....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 2-16-2018 at 05:11 PM

what happens in Guerrero Negro stays in Guerrero Negro

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.