Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Stingray
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 04:47 PM

MENAGE A TROIS AT LA PERLA (a.k.a. "hidin' the stinger") 3' from shore, low tide. Female, missionary position... Jesuit or Fransiscan?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 07:13 PM

I always swim off the boat, not the beach.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 01:04 PM

I got nailed at Punta Chivato. Hot water helped...so did tequila.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 08:23 PM

Another interesting thing that occurred with me both times I have been zapped: Very slow to heal, weeping of clear fluid for 10 days and a little necrosis, meaning, the wound got bigger before it healed and left a noticeably larger scar than the original wound. 2nd time was easier, I was older and in my 40's: We had a Morro Bay harbor patrolman/EMT trained guy on this trip who knew the hot water trick.(He also brought a big trauma kit from work) 4 ibuprofen and a few shots of George Dickel rounded out the scenario
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hombre66  
Another interesting thing that occurred with me both times I have been zapped: Very slow to heal, weeping of clear fluid for 10 days and a little necrosis, meaning, the wound got bigger before it healed and left a noticeably larger scar than the original wound. 2nd time was easier, I was older and in my 40's: We had a Morro Bay harbor patrolman/EMT trained guy on this trip who knew the hot water trick.(He also brought a big trauma kit from work) 4 ibuprofen and a few shots of George Dickel rounded out the scenario

Hombre, classic example (first whack) of the pathogens they carry. The hot water trick does cause some (and key word SOME) drawing of the toxins, but still... Dickel Tickle is a good agent especially when taken internally rather than poured on the wound. Depends on habitat too methinks; muddier shoals (San Lucas Cove) as opposed to exposed beaches with currents have some context on the amount of sludge they survive in, hence inject into foot/ankle.

Again, SEE A DOCTOR asap. Get a scrip for an antibiotic; I won't conjecture which one, not qualified; broad spectrum and what you can tolerate would be the cheapest way to go just going to a farmacia, but i'd still go to a pro. And, tickle my Dickel. Personally i'm an Old Bushwhacker fan. or Corralejo when in Rome.

86 - 45*

Cypress 2

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 09:58 AM

Was stuck in the hand while attempting to get a small one off my hook. Been stuck by catfish etc., thought it'd be no big deal. Wrong! Finally went to the ER. They gave me a tetanus shot and put me on antibiotics. Took about 2 months for my hand to get back to normal.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 07:07 PM

Buddha, Good insurance as per your advice. I was lucky to have no classic infection. Cypress.. tough ordeal. Sculpin spines are the other boogeyman. Not as painful as ray, but can be wicked. Took one in between fingers and my hand blew up like a baloon for 3 days.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 12:48 AM

Parts of the stingray's barb can also break off in the wound, so weeping and delayed healing could also be your body's response to a foreign body. Sounds like it's best to get all ray wounds looked at anyway, thanks buddha.

I guess I got lucky. We had disinfectant, but no hot water, and the worst of the pain went away within a couple of hours, so I didn't bother getting checked out.

This made for an interesting read: https://faoj.org/2008/06/01/stingray-envenomation-of-the-foo...

And here I was thinking that a little puncture like mine was couldn't be that worrisome - pretty gnarly stuff!

[Edited on 4-16-2016 by toronja]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 07:20 AM

I got a sting in Punta Chivato last October - the hot water thing really works. I felt pretty stupid not having my water socks on, got carried away and forgot the shuffle while I was fishing the shore; I didn't see that many stingrays from the shore but apparently they are there! I don't recall it hurting for a super long time after soaking in really hot water.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 10:03 AM

prevention. urge your neighbors and guests not to deposit their fish carcasses in your swimming beach after a days fishing :coolup:
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 10:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
I got a sting in Punta Chivato last October - the hot water thing really works. I felt pretty stupid not having my water socks on, got carried away and forgot the shuffle while I was fishing the shore; I didn't see that many stingrays from the shore but apparently they are there! I don't recall it hurting for a super long time after soaking in really hot water.

Your water socks wouldn't have done you any good whatsoever. One friend-o-mine got it right through the lower side of tennis shoes; through the side-rubber and canvas, just like a filleting knife. Nasty lil' buggers they are.

Prevention: a 'RAY-STICK'. Can be anything, from a 3-6' length of 1/2" PVC, to a lightweight cordon stick.... tap the sand/mud in front of you as you walk in the surf. The 'RAY-SHUFFLE' works too........ slide your feet side by side as you move; I prefer the stick method 10 to 1. Fish carcasses or not, they're there for the clams and crabs anyway.

86 - 45*

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 11:19 AM

A golf club shaft will work

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

Do you recommend an iron, or maybe a sand wedge?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 01:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  

Do you recommend an iron, or maybe a sand wedge?

I'd use a One-Iron. Even gawd can't hit one; a ray wouldn't stand a chance. :smug:

86 - 45*

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 02:06 PM

Neighbors suggested a rake for more coverage.

I have also stepped on a stingray. I was wearing neoprene dive booties, but they were no match for the stingray. The barb went through the top without issue.
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 09:12 PM

I've been here a few years, but I'm no veteran.

I always shuffle. Might look goofy, but I'm not into pain.

My gal uses a paint roller on a broom stick pushed in front of her. Without the tube, the wire bale kind of beats the bottom for vibration as well as contact. She likes it and she is so afraid of rays she won't even walk behind me!

I know there is lots of debate, but I have used a venom extractor with what seemed like success and have heard 1st hand reports of others.

Hot water seems to be second only to prevention!

Stay aware of your surroundings! Always and everywhere!
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 04:48 PM

was wading in the waters of la paz and look down after wading out quite a bit and saw a bunch of em lucky I didn't get one. my wife behind me freaked and I had us just slowly shuffle back to shore. small pancake sized I'm sure the tourists at the hotel they were building were gunna love em.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 06:54 PM

A good idea is to set up a solar shower so that hot water is immediately available. It takes awhile to heat 2-3 gallons to soak in.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
A good idea is to set up a solar shower so that hot water is immediately available. It takes awhile to heat 2-3 gallons to soak in.

the commercially bought "stingray wound first aid kits" come with a instant heat pack, probably not as effective as hot water but better than nothing in a pinch!
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 07:48 PM

JB........ They got rays in..... LAKE MICHIGAN ??? :o :biggrin: (I thought it wuz just cubbies.)

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.