Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cell Phone Question
janai229

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 06:59 PM
Cell Phone Question

The daughter of a Mexican friend would like me to bring her a cell phone from the US because she feels we have more options here. Can I buy a cell phone without a US plan, take it to the baja where she can set it up with a Mexican plan ?? I'm looking at a Samsung phone.
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 07:56 AM

Yes, we bought an unlocked LG for 12 bucks on Amazon and put a Telcel chip in it. You have to be patient and keep insisting but Telcel does have an unlimited calling to the US and Mexico plan for 100 pesos a month. You will find that the Telcel representatives are dressed extremely well but know almost nothing about their job so you have do dig to get what you want.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 11:46 AM

Weebray, what is your monthly charge for telcel? You mentioned 100 peso a month for unlimited calls but is there a monthly charge??
Ricky
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 09:14 PM

What I did was get an AT&T Go phone for $14.00 in an att store. Put $108.00 on it and it's good to go for a year! Ten cents a minute in the states and twenty five cents a minute when in Baja. Other times I use an IP phone in the house for free.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 09:27 PM

Ricky don't lose that number! ATT no longer offers the 10 cent /min plan to new customers, but will allow you to continue on with the one you have now. It is now 25 cents in the US, and I am not sure what in Mexico. They want everyone to convert to monthly plans, or contracts.

What I don't like about the ten cent plan that I have, is that each text I send or receive (even the mystery ones) cost 20 cents. Lets see...two short texts, or talk for four minutes? Call me!

[Edited on 4-19-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bmw635

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 12:25 AM

T-mobile US have unlimited text, call to Canada, Mexico. Some Mexican carriers have free calling to US from Cacun, not sure if Baja is different.

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 05:56 AM

I just got a Telcel plan for my old unlocked iphone.....upgraded from an Amigo plan.
I was able to keep the same La Paz tel number.
Unlimited calls to the US and Canada, unlimited text, 1G data (not much).
Also unlimited calls to Mexico, when traveling in the US and Canada.

It cost me $199.00 Pesos a month, set up with my US credit card.

It too me almost 2.5 hrs to get it done, at the Telcel office at the Mega Market Center. I did not have my passport with me, but had a picture of it on the cell phone......all went fine, the customer service lady spoke English much better than my Spanish attempts. Gorgeous female supervisor.....worth the long wait :-)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 09:53 AM

I think the plan is 200 Pesos per month for the service you describe.

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Yes, we bought an unlocked LG for 12 bucks on Amazon and put a Telcel chip in it. You have to be patient and keep insisting but Telcel does have an unlimited calling to the US and Mexico plan for 100 pesos a month. You will find that the Telcel representatives are dressed extremely well but know almost nothing about their job so you have do dig to get what you want.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

. You will find that the Telcel representatives are dressed extremely well but know almost nothing about their job so you have do dig to get what you want.[/rquote]

No, we pay 100p/mo. You may have to camp out at telcel to get this plan but it is available. As I said, the telcel people are beautiful and impeccably dressed but they aren't hired for their brains.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 11:50 AM

Got an unlocked Samsung from these folks, put in a Movistar chip

http://sam.factoryoutletstore.com/catnc/37610/Samsung-Cell-P...
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 01:23 PM

OH, wee bray...I'll camp at a TELCEL store on Thursday and try to get the same plan for 100 Pesos per month.

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Quote: Originally posted by Udo  

. You will find that the Telcel representatives are dressed extremely well but know almost nothing about their job so you have do dig to get what you want.[/rquote]

No, we pay 100p/mo. You may have to camp out at telcel to get this plan but it is available. As I said, the telcel people are beautiful and impeccably dressed but they aren't hired for their brains.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 05:35 PM

I was on the Amigo plan and was told by the Telcel employee about the 100 peso/month plan, it is called without limits or sin limatantes........I just brought my unlocked used iPhone into the Telcel office and the sim card coat $10 USD.........

I hear the whales song
bajaumpaw
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 08:27 PM

While I was in Mulege, my mechanic there said to dial a couple of numbers on your Mexican phone and you get the 100 peso plan as long as you have at least 100 pesos in credit with Telcel. I do not remember what they were. Maybe, somebody going into a Telcel office can get them and post them. You have to have at least 100 pesos each month that you use the plan. I just got 2 good deals from AT&T here in the states. I have a monthly plan with them. The first is an AT&T Mexico Roaming Bonus. While in Mexico, unlimited talk to the US and within all of Mexico, unlimited text and 1GB of data. For free. Nada. Just ask for it. The second was the World Connect Value. Unlimited calling from the US to Mexico and Canada. $5 per month.
Bill Collector
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 12:12 PM

*264. Is what you press to get the 100 peso plan...if you don't speak Spanish wait for a operator and ask for English speaker...Unlimited to USA and canada..Call from your cell phone

[Edited on 4-20-2016 by Bill Collector]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaumpaw  
I just got 2 good deals from AT&T here in the states. I have a monthly plan with them. The first is an AT&T Mexico Roaming Bonus. While in Mexico, unlimited talk to the US and within all of Mexico, unlimited text and 1GB of data. For free. Nada. Just ask for it.

Guess I'll be calling ATT. How much is one GB if you were to check email on cell network?

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaumpaw  
I just got 2 good deals from AT&T here in the states. I have a monthly plan with them. The first is an AT&T Mexico Roaming Bonus. While in Mexico, unlimited talk to the US and within all of Mexico, unlimited text and 1GB of data. For free. Nada. Just ask for it.

Guess I'll be calling ATT. How much is one GB if you were to check email on cell network?

1GB you could send 34,000 emails!

[Edited on 4-20-2016 by willardguy]
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 04:42 PM

Regarding the AT&T plan, I also have it, been working great. BUT you need to know that the "free" is only for calls originating from Mexico. If someone calls us we call them back, or have them text us.
janai229

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 07:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Will any unlocked phone be able to be fitted with a Telcel chip ??? If not, what should I look for when purchasing a cell phone ???
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 07:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Regarding the AT&T plan, I also have it, been working great. BUT you need to know that the "free" is only for calls originating from Mexico. If someone calls us we call them back, or have them text us.

ohhhhh.......now there's a good tip! I wouldn't have ever known! gracias! :yes:
8knots
Junior Nomad

shocked.gif posted on 4-20-2016 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by janai229  
Thanks for all the replies. Will any unlocked phone be able to be fitted with a Telcel chip ??? If not, what should I look for when purchasing a cell phone ???

I recently purchased a Moto G3 unlocked phone from Amazon and had a friend bring it down. Went to Telcel and they cut my sim card to fit the new unlocked phone. If you go to a large Telcel store they can easily set you up. Make sure your unlocked phone is ATT compatible, not Verizon compatible. I forget the exact terms for each of those systems but ATT and Telcel are compatible systems. Telcel will not work with a Verizon system phone.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.