BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cell Phone Question
Bmw635

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 10:06 PM

Telcel use GSM network so you'll need GSM phone. https://www.google.com/search?q=telcel+gsm+or+cdma&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 11:43 PM

I got it!
For years I've been paying telcel amigo on the per minute plan and it gets really expensive, specially now that they have internet. I'd put 100 pesos on each phone and in 2 days my daughters were on empty OMG.
Well, reading this post I logged on to mitelcel.com and went on the chat with a rep to ask if there was something that could be done to just cancel the internet access on the phones and she said no but asked if I new about the Amigo sin Limites plans... she explained and done.
You DO NOT have to go to any telcel office, you DO NOT have to call *264, all you have to do is have at least 100 pesos credit on your phone, you send a text message with SL100 and send it to 5050 and that is all, now you will have unlimited México, US and Canada for calls and text and unlimited WhatsApp, plus free Twitter, facebook and facebook messenger within México all for 30 days and 200MB of data.
There are more options that have the same free stuff, also good for 30 days but more data (if you are downloading music or videos or sending them maybe) and those are $150pesos 350MB, $200 pesos 500MB, $300pesos 800MB and $500pesos 1500 MB.
If you don't need your telcel phone for 30 days, you can get it for 15 days at only $50 pesos with all the unlimited and free stuff as the rest but only 50MB.
For all of these plans you just have to have the sufficient credit on your phone to cover the amount you want and simply text SL50 or SL100 or SL150 or SL200 or SL300 or SL500 to 5050.
Now if you are a permanent resident or are staying longer than 30 days and want one of these plans you simply text SLR and the peso amount so you don't have to text every 30 days, just once for ever (the R is for Recurrente)
That is all, no set up fee, no nada mas! Well you do need a telcel sms or chip.
I think it's great 100 pesos (at 17 x 1 = 5.88 in dollars) for unlimited 30 day phone and more, wow, it's almost free as the free Obama Phones.;)

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 11:42 AM

Thanks FTD et al;

Just changed from Amigo Sin Fronteras to Amigo Sin Limites online on TelCel site through the chat line.
The text SL100 wouldn't go through to 5050.

100 pesos a month, unlimited domestic, Mexico, & Us, Canada.

Best value plan I've heard of.
Carlos Slim got enough pesos over the years.
huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 07:44 PM
why?

When I am at a Telcel branch, I can see a lot of phones for sale, mostly displayed with various plans. Why is everyone buying phones on amazon and trying to fit Telcel chips into them?
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 10:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Cancamo  
Thanks FTD et al;

Just changed from Amigo Sin Fronteras to Amigo Sin Limites online on TelCel site through the chat line.
The text SL100 wouldn't go through to 5050.

100 pesos a month, unlimited domestic, Mexico, & Us, Canada.

Best value plan I've heard of.
Carlos Slim got enough pesos over the years.

We got on this plan a week ago by going to the big Telcel office in La Paz. I tried going on MiTelcel site to sign up for monthly payment with my credit card and it never takes. Any suggestions on how I can get it set up for auto-pay?
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 01:04 PM

Just got off the telcel chat and no, and because it's on a prepaid basis.

Another thing I found out is that as of today, May2nd, the 100 peso plan will only be good for 25 days and because they added a few more unlimited things to it.
Now to get 30 days it starts at the $150 peso plan.

I strongly recommend people get on one of these plans ASAP before they change them or are no longer available. just sayi'n

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 04:43 PM

I'm, going to try this for my wife net week.

[Edited on 5-2-2016 by Udo]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

janai229

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 05:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by huesos  
When I am at a Telcel branch, I can see a lot of phones for sale, mostly displayed with various plans. Why is everyone buying phones on amazon and trying to fit Telcel chips into them?

A Telcel phone would be fine by me. I just started this thread because a Méxican friend's daughter wanted a specific Samsung phone which I was happy to bring her but it needed to be able to take a Telcel chip.
ex250

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 08:43 PM

Is the 100 peso plan still available ?
nomana
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2016 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ex250  
Is the 100 peso plan still available ?

Sí - Amigo sin límite

It is good for 25 days and you pay according to how much data you want:

50MB 50MX
300MB 100MX
350MB 150MX
500MB 200MX
800MB 300MX
1500MB 500MX

It includes 1GB for WhatsApp, Twitter, FB
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.