Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: "Amigos...."
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 03:19 PM

I too be an Amigo... or was during its last couple of years. Nice group of people both there and now on Nomads. Thanks Doug for all your hard work and patience with us! :yes:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 03:24 PM
In my Heart I will Always be an Amigo!

Today my wife is wearing her amigos T=Shirt she got at the Book signing.
I think that Earle and Trish brought out the Best of Us who love Baja. The Off Topic Forum brings out the Worst in Us.!!

911 Happened and was the Start of a Vast change in the U.S. which in turn caused a change in our interactions with other amigos.

Sure was good for me to have the amigos board there when I got lonesome.
thanks to all of You and may God Bless You!!

Skeet/Loreto
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 04:00 PM

I lurked and posted once in while :bounce:
Always liked Amigos board and now thanks to Doug we can still share our love for Baja on the Internet.

Thanks Doug!
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

mad.gif posted on 1-29-2005 at 06:51 PM
What has 9/11 got to do what happened to the various Baja boards?

seems that intolerance, rudeness and people just wanting to pick a fight with others has been the curse of these boards

just a thought:cool:

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by BajaVida]

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 07:26 PM

I am also an Amigo.

I discovered the board sometime around 1996 (more or less), when I was practicing on the Internet to learn more about subjects of interest.

The stories on the board captivated me and enriched my knowledge and enthusiasm for the world of Baja.

Not being an active camper or explorer, I didn't start posting until the point when I became a full time resident and learned a few things to share.

I have fond memories of the old Amigos board, even the bitter postings; after all, aren't dogfights a feature of the Mexican culture?

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 08:47 PM
Yo aun me considero amigo

Y que viva LdB wherever he may be
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 08:47 PM

I didn't think there would be that many still around.....the other day I broke the rear window in my camper shell and it had a decal with the fish on it from Amigos days....was sad to see it go in the trash with all the broken glass I had to throw out....
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 09:06 AM
Bajvida

Sorry you mistook the meaning of my Post.
It was not intednded to "Pick a Fight" or to be Rude.
I was trying to point out a real difference between the "Old" amigos Postings and the Postings on this board.

It seemed to me that there was more Happiness, Fun, information etc on the old amigos Board, then came 911 and things and people seemed to change.

The Election came about and I still remember the First Post of "BajaBus', then Steph. AA. Grover,Margie, All the Flaming and Bad Words, as a result of those Words many people were turned Off and went elsewhere.

I do think that there are a lot of new found Friends of Baja which have been brought about by the two Boards.

Skeet/Loreto

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 12:37 PM
LdB

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
ferna , I was just thinking about him today.

Lorenzo is still alive and kicking! He sends me an email every so often and I keep him up to date on mission information. I suspect he is reading the boards, still.

After that pier meeting in 2000 (see photo below of Lorenzo, wearing hat), he and I went on two trips to Baja: http://vivabaja.com/davidlorenzo and http://vivabaja.com/baja_2001 (remember the 'cilantro' farm we walked into?)

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishuntr
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 12:52 PM

I was pretty active on the Amigos board for a while. Met some real nice people on it. Miss it.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 01:59 PM
we got busted

funny, on that 1st Viva Baja I took a bottle of Cazadores and LdB & I opened it inside the restaurant, started pouring in our beer mugs and the waitres comes along and confiscates the bottle :(
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 02:47 PM

I started posting/reading somewhere in '97. My last t-shirt pretty much wore out a few months ago. My boys still talk about BBBB#1 when it was OK to actually say "BBBB". Somewhere I have a bunch of photos........;) I'll never forget hiring the Castros of Cabo Pulmo to take us fishing and then coming home, opening up Amigos and reading this huge rant from ESL regarding them. What was the deal there anyway????
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 03:09 PM
Skeet, you did not offend me

I was not suggesting you were rude or picking a fight--those comments certainly do not apply to you the man who carries dos palos, big ones at that.

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 07:57 PM
I was there too.

And I still have an extra sticker in my wallet somewhere...

<*)))><
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 08:04 PM
Paulina

Check out this thread by pompano...

Camp Gecko & BOLA area questions...??

You could answer some questions there.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
... I'll never forget hiring the Castros of Cabo Pulmo to take us fishing and then coming home, opening up Amigos and reading this huge rant from ESL regarding them. What was the deal there anyway????

The deal was the Castro family are squatters and ESL (el surfo loco) owned the land... He (Cornel) spent thousands and thousands trying to get his land back... ESL changed his handle to Chopy and also changed his ranting attitude to a more friendly, helpful amigo. He was really fun to meet at BBBB-4... He died/ or was killed, not long after. Very sad...
Here is Chopy (ESL) with 'M' at BBBB-4:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
funny, on that 1st Viva Baja I took a bottle of Cazadores and LdB & I opened it inside the restaurant, started pouring in our beer mugs and the waitres comes along and confiscates the bottle :(

Yes, that was funny... It was at the restaurant after we met at the pier (not Viva Baja #1, which was a few months later), and you presented the bottle to Lorenzo as a gift. Lorenzo tried to conceal his pouring the contents into a glass, but the waitress saw him!

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 11:43 PM

Like many of us, I sure do miss Lorenzo. Amigos got too hostil. We've learned from that. All but an abrassive few.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 11:49 PM

I will email this thread to him Mike... maybe he will drop in?

It is meeting personally that increases the pleasure of Internet conversing...

I am getting close to starting to plan Viva Baja #5. I will be contacting you and Mary Ann soon...

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 12:28 AM

We will help with your efforts David. Respectful regards to LdB.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.