Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: boxing stuff?! arrived! new pics
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-19-2016 at 07:02 PM
boxing stuff?! arrived! new pics

I hate the sport but it is big in la bocana and some students have promised to raise their grades.

I told them I would try to get punching bags or anything else boxing related. Can anyone help?

gracias in advance ! Blanca

[Edited on 4-30-2016 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 07:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
I hate the sport but it is big in la bocana and some students have promised to raise their grades.

I told them I would try to get punching bags or anything else boxing related. Can anyone help?

gracias in advance ! Blanca

Why would you enable such? Tell them to fight bare knuckles without headgear, that may cure them of their interest in boxing.
If they want a "fighting," encourage judo or karate.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 07:44 AM

Blanca,
I boxed in my youth and was a fan of boxing for many years. However I have seen the terrible results of that "sport" and can no longer support or even watch it. For those who have followed the sport, think of Jerry Quarry having to be spoon fed in his last years as was his younger brother Mike. Seeing Ali now is tragic compared to his youth. I know that there are fighters who have come through apparently just fine but so many others can't put together a coherent sentence, Thomas Hearns comes to mind as does Evander Holyfield. While I strongly support your other efforts in the community I hope you will reconsider this one.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 11:25 AM

Contact sports certainly raise the risk of injury....football and hockey concussions are taking the lead....soon soccer.

While I am a fan of martial arts training (kung-fu and boxing in my 20's) as the discipline and physical challenges are immediate benefits for those who commit to the practice, I also enjoy watching MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) without apologizing.

It surprises me that the concussion issues haven't seemed to surface loudly in that arena....yet, as there is certainly high risk in the variety of head strikes and submission chokes (brain damage due to oxygen deprivation).

Blanca....the training regimen for boxers is a very challenging pursuit. If a person were to train for the purpose of fitness, co-ordination, and personal challenge... the sport has its merits. However, managing risk then becomes the challenge. Head gear helps, but is not the answer. Fighting might be the ultimate test of a boxer's skills...but not all boxers (amateur enthusiasts) have to fight with the intention of knocking the opponent out.

Early (and still some) martial arts competitions have rules about types of strikes allowed....points are given for technique and effective striking....even when head strikes are disallowed.

Good pugilistic training discourages violence outside the ring....hopefully whoever is doing the coaching will guide the participants towards the discipline.

Someone in the meantime will come along with knuckle-dragger comments, I am sure.

[Edited on 4-20-2016 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 11:42 AM

the fact is, its a popular sport in la bocana, a bunch of old gringo's isn't going to dissuade these kids, so lets find em some gloves and head gear.
and be thankful they're hanging out in the gym, not getting into much more dangerous mischief
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 12:26 PM

Remember when we were kids? We rode bikes without a helmet, skateboards without pads, stay out til dark, rode in the front seat without seat belts, etc.... Sure some kids face-planted into steel dashboards but the overwhelming majority of us managed to survive.

How soon we forget. Let the kids learn how to deal with life, bumps and bruises included....

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:07 PM

Maybe they should just improve their grades as a means of self improvement and learn that continually begging and bribing won't carry them very far in life. Maybe learn a little creativity and resourcefulness also.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:25 PM

Great responses and trust me, I have been asked before to donate equipment and thought about this for about a year before I decided to post the recent request by the youngster who wants to train.

The coach is a wonderful trainer who came over to see us the other day. He said that he emphasizes fitness and defense -never aggression. This lesson is really needed here in town where the macho mentality is a reality.

Here are some of my reasons for posting:

1. many kids here are overweight and no other sport moves them

2. the trainer is an ex addict and works REALLY well with the youngsters. He has an uncanny connection with them.

3. many of the kids involved (our little Ramses being one) are angry at the world. They have to get this anger out without physically attacking peers. I am guessing punching a punching bag might be a solution

4 I told Daniel (the coach) that we should both require grades for the kids to participate. And he must have said something because the youngster who approached me said: If I improve my grade average, will you help me? MUSICCCCC to any teacher's ears (he is in high school and not my student now)

5 if they are going to box, lets make sure they have the right protection

I admit I am conflicted but I didn't let my kids play American football either.

Thanks all - I really appreciate any help and feel free to comment yay or nay. I am totally open to comments/discussion.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:31 PM

Blanca, point well taken. Try to find an old "Rocky" by Sylvester Stallone dvd and play it for them. Great way to illustrate how training can be accomplished on a shoestring in a practical way with very little investment.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 04:31 PM

my kids boxed at a young age ,they are twin boys and were fighting each other anyway so doing in a ring under supervision seemed a better way . it got them into training and working out . they only boxed for a years or two, the training working out stuck and they are both ultra physically fit now and are physical fitness trainers and trainer managers. it also helped in the city Chicago to not be intimidated by the gangs and bullies.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 04:58 PM

many kids here are overweight and no other sport moves them

Of course exercise helps the overweight problem, a little, but that can be only really addressed with diet.

the trainer is an ex addict and works REALLY well with the youngsters. He has an uncanny connection with them.

Turn him into a nutritionist and see if he can convince the kids to stay away from sugar, fat, and salt as they train to become Rocky Balboa.

Watching a Rocky movie together with the young guys sounds like a lot of fun.

alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 05:29 PM

I do not believe that boxing is any help in education.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 09:14 PM

I will look thru the many videos we have - it is possible we have Rocky.

I love the idea of nutrition education - I can discuss with Daniel.

good end result bledito!

Come visit La Bocana

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 05:39 AM

"It surprises me that the concussion issues haven't seemed to surface loudly in that arena....yet, as there is certainly high risk in the variety of head strikes and submission chokes (brain damage due to oxygen deprivation)."

That's probably because there isnt the budget to investigate (nor the exposure to liability) that exists in other sports like football, hockey, true boxing, etc.

Come on, there's gotta be a better way of getting kids to lose weight and stay off the streets than encouraging an organized form of aggression.

The PHYSICAL fitness you see in boxers belies what is going on, mentally. Sometimes it is not discovered until years later. Why take the chance at leading someone down that path?

We are seeing the tip of the iceberg, right now, with respect to brain damage in certain sports. This, literally, has a chance of affecting the NFL dramatically.

Here is the wiki on the ailment that is affecting certain sports. It is not a pretty picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopat...

[Edited on 4-21-2016 by Hook]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 06:24 AM

How about sand volleyball? Bicycling? Kayaking? Baseball?

Some of those involve expensive items but you have been good at getting donations of items.

Look beyond this one guy who has a skill set that has fallen into disfavor for legitimate medical reasons.

[Edited on 4-21-2016 by Hook]
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Maybe they should just improve their grades as a means of self improvement and learn that continually begging and bribing won't carry them very far in life. Maybe learn a little creativity and resourcefulness also.

Blanca was asking for some help.....are you accusing her of begging and bribing?

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Blanca was asking for some help.....are you accusing her of begging and bribing?

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Must be a prerequisite to being a pot stirring troll. Maybe you'd like the local youth in Baja to become forever dependent on handouts rather than learning to use their own talent and resources.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Blanca,
I boxed in my youth and was a fan of boxing for many years. However I have seen the terrible results of that "sport" and can no longer support or even watch it. For those who have followed the sport, think of Jerry Quarry having to be spoon fed in his last years as was his younger brother Mike. Seeing Ali now is tragic compared to his youth. I know that there are fighters who have come through apparently just fine but so many others can't put together a coherent sentence, Thomas Hearns comes to mind as does Evander Holyfield. While I strongly support your other efforts in the community I hope you will reconsider this one.

Holyfield is now making a lot of money doing commercials for Carl's Jr. and Hardee's without speaking;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV9AMVZFGkk

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
the fact is, its a popular sport in la bocana, a bunch of old gringo's isn't going to dissuade these kids, so lets find em some gloves and head gear.
and be thankful they're hanging out in the gym, not getting into much more dangerous mischief

More important than the equipment is training under a COMPETENT coach. Is there a lot of them in la bocana? No, Blanca doesn't qualify.

SORRY - I POSTED THIS BEFORE I READ BLANCA"S POST ABOUT THE TRAINER

[Edited on 4-21-2016 by durrelllrobert]

Bob Durrell
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Must be a prerequisite to being a pot stirring troll. Maybe you'd like the local youth in Baja to become forever dependent on handouts rather than learning to use their own talent and resources.

My reading comprehension is pretty good....to the point where I am able to "read between the lines".

As well, I do not live under a bridge, but enjoy cooking so I do occasionally stir the pot.

You have not answered my simple question as to whom you were directing your thinly-veiled insult...Blanca or her Mexican students.

Perhaps you can answer the question more clearly, as your reply implies that you are insulting the Mexican students and suggesting they are dependent on begging and bribing.

Or, do prefer to just move on to insulting me?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.