BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Crossing the border with 2 dogs - must be in dog carriers?
Advmoto18

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 11:19 AM
Crossing the border with 2 dogs - must be in dog carriers?

Search yield no results.

Any information regarding dogs being in crates crossing the border or at military check points?

I can't find any reference to a Mexican government requirement. I have noted a couple of comments through Google searches.

Thanks for any info.

Bill
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 11:22 AM

No, just don't go thru Tecate and you'll be fine.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 12:18 PM

I have never had a problem crossing with my dog, including several Tecate crossings (the last in Oct 2014). I don't have a crate, but I have had to exit the vehicle with her on a leash.

My girl was large, but friendly, and I kept a leash in the side pocket of my driver's door. I have even had several soldiers offer to hold her leash while my vehicle was being inspected.

I always have her papers in order, but have never been asked for them by MX or US agents!

[Edited on 4-20-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:06 PM

I will second akgringo's comments. We have crossed the border back and forth with our two large dogs several times now (along with many checkpoints) and not had any issues. The military guys have really enjoyed meeting the dogs in most instances (they do have to come out of the car at some checkpoints, so leashes are important).

We do get veterinary health certificates and bring proof of vaccinations. We do not bring crates, and have never heard that one. If asked for them we would simply drive back to San Diego and pick a couple up - you could always donate them to one of the local shelters if you didn't want them after the border crossing.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:27 PM

crates, as far as I know, only for planes.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 01:29 PM

Crates also work well for gatos.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 02:20 PM
Dog/Cat crates

They can "usually" be found at segundas
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 02:28 PM

For the first time in 50 some years I got asked for shot records etc coming south... San Luis De Colorado.
Advmoto18

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 02:40 PM

Thank you for the replies!
Bill

[Edited on 4-20-2016 by Advmoto18]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2016 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
For the first time in 50 some years I got asked for shot records etc coming south... San Luis De Colorado.

Really? Damn it!

That's the first I've heard of that. Guess I better get my vet papers together and put them in the truck. I've been crossing with dogs at San Ysidro for about 30 years and have never been questioned going in either direction.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 05:57 AM

Based on past posts on Nomads, avoiding Tecate is good advice. There was more than one instance of gringos being shaken down by Tecate cops for this supposed infraction (and, all the while, persons riding in the back of p/u trucks without seat belts were whizzing by, no doubt, :biggrin: ).

This uneven "enforcement" makes it hard to predict, but I think I would take a chance and not carry carriers. Keep their heads DOWN if you have to go through Tecate.

[Edited on 4-21-2016 by Hook]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 06:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Really? Damn it!

That's the first I've heard of that. Guess I better get my vet papers together and put them in the truck. I've been crossing with dogs at San Ysidro for about 30 years and have never been questioned going in either direction.

First time it ever happened to me. I was surprised.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 09:37 AM

I've been asked the past two times for dog papers crossing at Tecate - Mex immigration.

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  
I've been asked the past two times for dog papers crossing at Tecate - Mex immigration.

What do you show them? All I have is a little booklet the vet gave me where he records which shots and when they were given, and maybe some payment receipts (if I can find them).
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 10:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by mojo_norte  

What do you show them? All I have is a little booklet the vet gave me where he records which shots and when they were given, and maybe some payment receipts (if I can find them).

I only showed them their current vaccination certificates and that seemed to be OK. I've heard that your supposed to have a recent certificate of health .

toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 11:18 AM

Crossing to Mexico you are supposed to have a health certificate on your vet's letterhead in both English and Spanish stating that they've been examined in the past 10 days and found healthy, along with proof of their vaccinations. At least, those were the requirements as of last year. You do not need the USDA-stamped international health certificate. Coming back you only need proof of rabies vaccination.

We have never been asked for this at San Ysidro or Mexicali (haven't been through Tecate), but I have it each time anyway.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 11:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by toronja  
Crossing to Mexico you are supposed to have a health certificate on your vet's letterhead in both English and Spanish stating that they've been examined in the past 10 days and found healthy..........

That's highly impractical for me. In the past two months I've crossed the border with my dog 5 or 6 times. I have to go to my vet every 10 days for an examination?? Yeah sure thing.

Time to boot up the computer, open my word processor and make up some "Certificates of Good Health".

Could you post the last one you got from your vet so I can use it as a starting point?
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2016 at 11:41 AM

I don't have a digital copy. We found a sample one online (though I'm having trouble tracking it down now), or you can request it from your local USDA office. They were helpful.

All of the information on what needs to be included can be found here:
http://www.senasica.gob.mx/?Idioma=2&id=623

On reflection, the official page does mention the crate requirement. I still suspect that it's meant for air travel, and we will continue to take the gamble on that one.
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 09:13 AM

SENTRI inspector threaten to take away my wife's SENTRI card if she didn't have shot documents next time she crossed. He noted her record and next time she crossed the inspector requested the documents.
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2016 at 09:31 AM

Thanks for the info. Was this entering Mexico or entering the US?

(I'm glad to hear it, frankly. Rabies is an awful, incurable disease, and having the vaccination records also protects your pet from being euthanized as a public health/safety measure if it's attacked by a wild animal or otherwise thought to have been exposed to rabies.)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.