BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Would it be better for Baja if all Drugs were legal?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 10:51 AM
Would it be better for Baja if all Drugs were legal?

This is an issue I have been tossing around for a long time. and have not been able to form an opinion definitely one way or another. Maybe opinions of some of you Nomads will help me and others.

on one hand if you legalize drugs and control there reduction and distribution. you eliminate the criminal element involved.

on the other hand would a government such as we have here in Mexico be able to handle it?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 11:21 AM

Check this thread out from past discussion:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=172

Me and Dave had a good go at it a while back there.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 11:50 AM

That's about as screwed up and lame as a notion as I can think of Bruce.

It would probably make the obvious druggies who inhabit this board very happy though.

Drug use starts with the choice to use . It can end right there also.

If you're going to suggest a country for that to happen to at least make it Canada. That way for once all the caravans may be heading north.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:08 PM

I think that if drugs where legalized only in Mexico, the ilegal market that drives the demand in the United States will still be the same, and drug cartels wil still be in business, in fact, it would probably be bad for Mexico, because we would get a whole new different kind of tourism, drug tourism, people who only come here to do drugs and have fun, and those people wouldnt pay 100$ a night to stay in a hotel and have nice dinners.

Legalization would only work if the US did it.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:15 PM
Not necessary Jesse

their system of fighting drugs obviously works extremely well!:lol::lol::lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:24 PM

Right now they are selling drugs in all the schools here.I cant help but think that as a parent of three in the schools it would be better if they sold only in the drug store.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:25 PM

JR, I think you mean it pays extremely well.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:27 PM

Hi Jr.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
their system of fighting drugs obviously works extremely well!:lol::lol::lol:

jr,

Donde estas cabron?

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:45 PM
BCS

Los Barriles paying 1 peso por minuto for internet time. And, you should see the prices in the grocery store here:lol::lol::lol:
P-nche gringos!!!!:biggrin:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Los Barriles paying 1 peso por minuto for internet time. And, you should see the prices in the grocery store here:lol::lol::lol:
P-nche gringos!!!!:biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol:

Have fun my friend.

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 02:20 PM

There seems to be a whole lot of young men in Baja driving around in nice trucks instead of cutting broccoli in Mexicali. I would say that Baja is the richer for this drug war that will continue forevermore. It gives the Mexican government an excuse to search cars and people without just cause. The people who enjoy smoking marijuana benefit from an alternative to the expensive, potent green bud in California; the green bud would not be so expensive if it were legal. The drug situation gives some common Mexicans a means to act and appear macho in these increasingly emasculated times. But on a whole, I'd have to say that the drug war is un-winnable, costly, and a major drag on the liberties of the common people. Our energies and resources could go to more constructive pursuits on both sides of the border.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 03:18 PM

Maybe they should legalize marijuana for a year and see what happens to amount of usage--my guess is at first there would be a sharp increase just because of the novelty of it but then it would taper back into current consumption amounts--people don't stop smoking pot because its illegal, they stop, or use less, because they realize there's consequences to the stuff--natural market forces.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 04:51 PM

during Prohibition they sold more alcohol. per person than any other time in history.

I think having it illegal ads to the mystery and attractiveness for the younger more Robles teens and young adults.

best way to get them to do something is to tell them no

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 05:02 PM

Interesting points, Mexitron.....there are plenty of consequences to smoking pot, and most who smoke accept those consequences with open arms....wear it like a badge! There are consequences with all we do, but for some reason, the consequences associated with the "social" use of alcohol are far less severe (if there are any) than with pot. As far as I know, it's illegal as hell to smoke pot in Mexico, but because of very selective enforcement, it's more prevelant down there than up here. If your secluded beach camp has ever been invaded by midnighty panqueros hauling contraband up and down the coast, you'll know what I mean! I had a chance to work in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta but turned it down because I came to the conclusion that it would be much harder to keep my kids off drugs down there than up here. I agree that it would make more sense to legalize drugs in the US because it is more of a demand country, and it is far better equipped to deal with the distribution issues, as well as having the infrastructure already in place for rehabilitation. But it makes no sense at all unless all countries throughout the world legalize it - like alcohol.

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by The Sculpin]
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 07:49 PM

Jesus Christ! Could you imagine if they legalized all drugs in baja, I gotto give you a .6 on the intellect scale for that one, Bruce. Isn't that the scale you utilize? Could you imagine the immigration to our sacred land, legal or not? Where the fook you going to find the water to keep all those folks hydrated? I guess I could give them the chite water from my simple septic system. Do you think there's enough Narcan in baja to keep the opiate users alive until thier buzz wore off? Even better, the meth users, can't wait to have that out in the open, at least you'd know who's going to rip your chit off.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 08:28 PM

Random comments about this thread, but no solutions.

1. FACT, Mexico, because of U.S. interdiction policies and the growing middle class in the border cities (more disposable income) is becoming an end user country. Drugs and the accompanying infliction of AIDS is growing exponentially.

2. FACT, The people to the south are going to continue to migrate to the U.S. for jobs by any means necessary. 10% of the native indegenous (non-Spanish speaking) populations of the southern areas of Mexico are leaving each year to migrate to the U.S. for economic improvement.

3. Making it legal? I don't know, does anyone know how well Amsterdam is handling their druggies?

4. Porous borders. Regardless of what is said, are you willing to gun down people coming from starvation to a country that offers them an opportunity to provide a living for the family they left behind?

Transfers, i.e., expatriates sending money home to families is a 1.x billion dollar source of economy for Mexico. According to the reports I have read, this is the second largest source of income, tourism taking first place.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 1-29-2005 at 09:25 PM

Dutch VS USA figures

David, I belive it is a common misconception that if soft drugs were de criminalized that use would increase. Every country that has been willing to honestly approach the problem and not interject factless baseless personal opinions has seen improvments.

Here is just one countries statistics

Use of marijuana by older teens (1994) USA 38% Dutch 30%

Use of marijuana by 15-year-old (in 1995) USA 34% Dutch 29%

Heroin addicts (in 1995) USA 430
per 100,000 Dutch 160 per 100,000

Here are the really sobering and telling figures

Murder rate
(in 1996) USA 8.22 per 100,000 Dutch 1.8
per 100,000

Crime-related deaths USA 8.2 per 100,000 (1995) Dutch 1.2 per 100,000 1994)

Incarceration rate (1997) USA 645 per 100,000 Dutch 73 per 100,000

Per capita spending on drug-related law enforcement USA $81 Dutch $27

more interesting facts:

In 1995, city and state officials estimated that it costs $20,000 a
year to house a persons in a municpal shelter, $60,000 in Jail, $113,000
in the state psychiatric hospotical and $12,500 in a supportive
apartment, a kind of SRO model in which residents genrally have their
own kitchens and bathrooms and limited support services on line." (Randy
kennedy "Doors that Offered Hope to Homeless May Shut" New York Times
Oct 4, 1997 p. A 15)"

In other words, it cost more to keep one person in jail than to send
them to Harvard. (current tuitition, room board and books at the
Kennedy School of Government at Havard---is
$40,000. And that is a subdidized price. )

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 02:08 AM
Beat up potheads

Todays' "drug of choice"

So why are we still beating up the pot heads?
Don't know, what did they do?
Violent crimes?
Fights and brawls?
They deserve it?
Stealing and robbery?
Rape and incest.
Too mellow?
Wife abuse?
Dysfunctionality?
Eat to many snacks?
Murder and fits of rage?
Tax dodgers?
One for the road?
I don't think so.
Whatever it was it sure must be bad.
Will it ever change? I dunno, ask youselves because tomorrow we will be them. Or was that today? I do believe that (whoa).... IT IS US. Or some of us anyway. Lets face it, 60 year olds can't hold their booze and most Babyboomers would shudder at the site of a joint not because its' illegal mind you, they gave it up by choice, and not by checking in to Betty Ford Clinic.GOOD LORD, what are u people thinkin?
Advocate but don't preach because it doesn' t reflect well on our generation(over 50). And it reeks of hypocracy.
And like earlier mentioned, we shouldn't forget how the powerful Kennedy Family
made their fortune(drugs) & future(gag,choke) like many enterprising Prohibition era(capitalist) mobsters.
no im not a republican
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2005 at 01:50 PM

Looks like is working for the Dutch.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.