BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing Border with Flatbed Trailer in my Bro's Name?
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

Mood: Muy Pacifico

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 07:40 AM
Crossing Border with Flatbed Trailer in my Bro's Name?

Hi. What are your thoughts about being able to pull my brother's flatbed trailer across the border behind my truck? It's a 20' two-axle trailer with ramp. My plan is to fill it up with building supplies in Ensenada. I am usually able to talk my way through problems but I don't know if the registration in his name is a deal breaker. Thanks. Obviously we have the same last name.

[Edited on 4-26-2016 by Doug/Vamonos]
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
Hi. What are your thoughts about being able to pull my brother's flatbed trailer across the border behind my truck? It's a 20' two-axle trailer with ramp. My plan is to fill it up with building supplies in Ensenada. I am usually able to talk my way through problems but I don't know if the registration in his name is a deal breaker. Thanks. Obviously we have the same last name.

[Edited on 4-26-2016 by Doug/Vamonos]

Should not be a problem. I have crossed at least ten times while borrowing my friend's cargo trailer.

Sometimes Mex authorities ask to see the registration but have never questioned the different names. Or, the different registration states on my truck and his trailer. The truck is from NV, trailer is registered in CA. One trip, the Mex authorities questioned the lack of an expiration date on the CA permanent trailer registration but that was it, just a question as to why.

US authorities always run both plates in the computer system but have never said anything at all.

Have crossed at San Ysidro, Otay, and Tecate at different times.

If you are still worried, prepare and notarize a permission letter from your brother. Mex authorities love official stamps and seals with signatures.

Buen suerte.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 09:55 AM

I will second RnR's remarks.

I have crossed several time with a rented U-Haul trailer.
However, I have been asked to show the contract (once) by the CBP when crossing to the USA.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 11:21 AM

Thanks. I also spoke to a coworker who races the SCORE events. He said they never hassle him about their race trailers that are never in their name. Appreciate the input.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 12:33 PM

I second the idea of getting a notarized letter of permission from your brother...have it in both English and Spanish and you should be golden!

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 01:56 PM

I was asked for my car and motorcycle registration crossing south at San Ysidro after midnight Thursday/Friday. I had them both, so don't know exactly what they were looking for. Never happened before.

The motorcycle was on a hitch carrier. I assume that is why I was sent to inspection.

The customs guy wanted to check the VIN number on the bike, but it was obscured by a moving blanket I had strapped to the bike to keep it from scratching the car. He gave up after a minute, and sent me on my way.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2016 at 11:11 PM

Doug,

As long as you have the registration for the trailer it does not matter whose name it is in. IF they (Mexican officials) ask for the registration they will just match the license plate number on the registration to the license plate on the trailer and send you on your way. Coming back into the US they don't even ask about it.
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 07:08 AM

Make sure you have the registration, but if you want to be safe get a notarized letter (will cost you $10 at a Post Net type of place.) from your brother giving you permission to have the trailer in Mexico. You type the letter up and the notary and your brother will sign it.

I am a true believer in Murphy's Law, so I don't leave things to chance.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 01:44 PM

Ha ha. He's black, I'm white, but same last name. Go figure...
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-2-2016 at 05:03 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.