BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Campgrounds between Tecate & Puerto Penasco
bajajohn

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 07:47 AM
Campgrounds between Tecate & Puerto Penasco

Are there any campgrounds for RV's between Tecate and Puerto Penasco?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 08:02 AM

ZERO.

There is one about an hour north of Peñasco, but when you are that close to your destination...

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:51 AM

There is Rancho Ojai at KM112 east of Tecate. It's a former KOA campground. It's on the free road. I've never stayed there.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 05:01 AM

What Udo said. Not sure how the campground is but El golfo de santa clara has a nice cantina. It's called el capitan and Alex the bartender speaks good english. Great shrimp and cold beer. There is also a pemex in town.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 09:58 AM

Just a thought, go down the Guadalupe Canyon graded road (2 miles west of Laguna Salada) a few miles to Cantú Palms... an oasis canyon much closer to Hwy. 2 than Guadalupe Canyon campgrounds, 35 miles south of the highway.

I am on my cell phone but will try and post directions later. Cantû Palms was made popular by Desert Magazine editor Randall Henderson in the 1940s seeking blue palms.

EDIT:
Read the article:
http://dezertmagazine.com/mine/1946DM08/index.html
(flip to Page 12)...

Maps (1946):

Cantu Map-2.jpg - 102kB Cantu Map.jpg - 162kB

On the 1974 Auto Club Baja Map:

Those mileages are hard to see here, the first section on the dry lake bed road is 6 miles, the fork to the right goes another 10.3 miles to Rancho La Ponderosa. Cantú Palms is 0.8 mile beyond the ranch.

Today, a graded road runs south from Hwy. 2 (about where the 1946 map shows an "old road").

On the Almanac map, it is called Cañada Cantú las Palmas, just beyond La Ponderosa...

[Edited on 4-29-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 02:45 PM

GPS DATA (WGS 84/ Google Earth)

Rancho La Ponderosa: 32º21.720', -115º48.310'

Cantú Palms (corral by Group 3 palms on map): 32º20.940', -115º49.630'

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcnut
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-25-2016 at 03:40 PM

Full disclaimer; I have never been in this area or read/talked to anyone who has. All my info has been acquired from GE imagery.

If you are going the paved gulf road; There looks to be 3-4 beach front campgrounds in the town of Golfo de Santa Clara (31° 40.608'N, 114° 29.310'W). At least one looks to have formal RV pads/sites and the others are sand/polapa based, some with restaurant. The town also has some nicer looking Hotels so they do serve tourists. The Campo to the far right is located close to what appears to be an OHV play area and as a result may be somewhat noisy/rowdy.

Update: The camp with what looks to be pads, El Golfo Beach Resort sounds like a member only campground.

Click on image for full size image.

Golfl de Santa Clara Camping.JPG - 135kB

[Edited on 12-25-2016 by mcnut]

[Edited on 12-26-2016 by mcnut]
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 12-27-2016 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
There is Rancho Ojai at KM112 east of Tecate. It's a former KOA campground. It's on the free road. I've never stayed there.

I stayed here several years ago and found that their electric was not within spec for 120 volts.. I measured 136 volts, which surprised the owner, but he measured it in his office as well. I could not plug in that night as I have a power monitor in the motorhome that would not allow that much power. Hopefully, they have corrected it by now...

[Edited on 12-27-2016 by fish101]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.