BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Harbor - Punta San Antonio
beachbum1A
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 427
Registered: 6-17-2006
Location: Punta Banda, BC
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:26 AM
New Harbor - Punta San Antonio


My friend & I just came back from a trip to Punta Baja, just west of El Rosario, in a search of places to fish that we haven't tried as yet. And that was our primary reason for the trip that started at our homes here in Ensenada. We did go out with a local pangero from Punta Baja for the day, and although we didn't catch any pelagics we did get lots of large White Fish, Sheephead and some nice Reds. So now we know a bit more about that area and will be better prepared to fish there with our own boat when the time comes.

After the fish were cleaned we decided to take the trek of 26 miles south to Punta San Antonio (on a nasty dirt road) to see whatever happened to the man-made harbor they had started when we were 1st there 4-5 years earlier. When we were there then they had some very large earth moving equipment on site and were digging out for a harbor.

Fast forward to last week! It was done! Completed! I thought i was back in Southern California cause that's what this harbor looked like! A small channel off the ocean leading back and around a corner to this protected harbor! Pointed concrete pilings with docks that moved up/down on the pilings! Slips for approx. 30 pangas! Concrete launch area. (4) nice hoists for removing engines or boats. Solar powered lights. A concrete sidewalk up on top with a metal safety rail running along side the sidewalk. Blew our minds to say the least. Especially the fact that this was one project that was actually completed and not left half finished like so many. Hopefully I can post the shots I took.

The caretaker living there in a trailer said it was private and belonged to a man who owned the fishing cooperative there and to launch a private boat we would need written permission from the owner. Can't imaging one of us wanting to tow a boat those 26 hard miles but who knows - right!

P1040072.JPG - 159kB P1040069.JPG - 162kB P1040071.JPG - 173kB

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by beachbum1A]




Just do it!
View user's profile
TMW
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 8738
Registered: 9-1-2003
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:30 AM


Interesting, thanks for the report. Looks very well done.
View user's profile
David K
Honored Nomad
*********


Avatar


Posts: 51246
Registered: 8-30-2002
Location: San Diego County
Member Is Offline

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:36 AM


We were impressed when we saw it. When I get home, I can add the old photos to compare. Road must be due for grading? It was good before, just dusty!


Well, when I looked at my 2005 photos, all that was there was a concrete boat ramp (which was impressive for that location)... I was thinking I saw the harbor before the June 2014 Trail of Missions trip? Here it was in June 2014 (posted originally back then):













[Edited on 4-28-2016 by David K]




"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

A NEW Baja Missions History book in 2016: http://oldmissions.com

My (over 40) Baja Bound Travel Adventure articles: https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/

My Baja web site, to help you plan your adventure: http://VivaBaja.com

View user's profile Visit user's homepage
mtgoat666
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 10735
Registered: 9-16-2006
Location: San Diego
Member Is Offline

Mood: Indivisible, resisting fascists in orange hair!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:45 AM


Wow! That harbor looks like it cost quite a bit. Certainly cost more than a rural fish coop can afford. Wonder where the money came from?
Who is the owner? Doesn't sound like the coop owns it
View user's profile
chippy
Senior Nomad
***




Posts: 756
Registered: 2-2-2010
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:59 AM


That reeks of narco money!
View user's profile
willardguy
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 5119
Registered: 9-19-2009
Location: bahia willard
Member Is Offline

Mood: im good

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:25 AM


straight shot out, well a long straight shot out, to guadalupe!
View user's profile
BornFisher
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1648
Registered: 1-11-2005
Location: K-38 Santa Martha/Encinitas
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:33 AM


I think those beautiful hoists may be for some sort of cargo. Otherwise the`re going to be pulling engines and lifting boats all day long!!

Great find, what a surprise!!!




You can not drink all day. No you can not, unless........... you start in the morning!!!
View user's profile
durrelllrobert
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 7393
Registered: 11-22-2007
Location: Punta Banda BC
Member Is Offline

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:38 AM


Quote: Originally posted by beachbum1A  
My friend & I just came back from a trip to Punta Baja, just west of El Rosario, in a search of places to fish that we haven't tried as yet. And that was our primary reason for the trip that started at our homes here in Ensenada. We did go out with a local pangero from Punta Baja for the day, and although we didn't catch any pelagics we did get lots of large White Fish, Sheephead and some nice Reds. So now we know a bit more about that area and will be better prepared to fish there with our own boat when the time comes.

After the fish were cleaned we decided to take the trek of 26 miles south to Punta San Antonio (on a nasty dirt road) to see whatever happened to the man-made harbor they had started when we were 1st there 4-5 years earlier. When we were there then they had some very large earth moving equipment on site and were digging out for a harbor.

Fast forward to last week! It was done! Completed! I thought i was back in Southern California cause that's what this harbor looked like! A small channel off the ocean leading back and around a corner to this protected harbor! Pointed concrete pilings with docks that moved up/down on the pilings! Slips for approx. 30 pangas! Concrete launch area. (4) nice hoists for removing engines or boats. Solar powered lights. A concrete sidewalk up on top with a metal safety rail running along side the sidewalk. Blew our minds to say the least. Especially the fact that this was one project that was actually completed and not left half finished like so many. Hopefully I can post the shots I took.

The caretaker living there in a trailer said it was private and belonged to a man who owned the fishing cooperative there and to launch a private boat we would need written permission from the owner. Can't imaging one of us wanting to tow a boat those 26 hard miles but who knows - right!



[Edited on 4-28-2016 by beachbum1A]


...and the white fish you brought us were delicious. Thank you.




Bob Durrell
View user's profile
beachbum1A
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 427
Registered: 6-17-2006
Location: Punta Banda, BC
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:38 AM


Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
straight shot out, well a long straight shot out, to guadalupe!


We were thinking it's only about 5 miles out (due west) to the Sacramento Reef and some nice Calico fishing! :bounce:

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by beachbum1A]




Just do it!
View user's profile
Maron
Nomad
**




Posts: 458
Registered: 4-14-2014
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 11:03 AM


WOW, wonder when it will start being used.

thks
View user's profile
4x4abc
Super Nomad
****


Avatar


Posts: 1051
Registered: 4-24-2009
Location: La Paz, BCS
Member Is Offline

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 11:58 AM


what's the lat/long?



Harald Pietschmann
View user's profile Visit user's homepage
chuckie
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 5170
Registered: 2-20-2012
Location: Kansas Prairies
Member Is Offline

Mood: Ebulient

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:07 PM


I count FIVE cranes? Velly stlange...



DUMP TRUMPS DODGE DUMP TRUCK DANGIT
View user's profile
Udo
Elite Nomad
******




Posts: 5893
Registered: 4-26-2008
Location: Black Hills, South Dakota/Bahia Asuncion/Ensenad
Member Is Offline

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:12 PM


For once, it looks like they built a jetty large and long enough to trap any sand that may drift into the harbor area and block the boats from going out to sea.

A-LA-LAS SALINAS harbor, just below La Mision, BCN.




Udo


Youth is wasted on the young.



BAHIA ASUNCION HOUSE STILL AVAILABLE FOR SALE OR RENT
House price $109,900, (USD) rental negotiable. Full description in Nomad ads.


(photos in link below)

http://tinyurl.com/CasaWinkler
View user's profile This user has MSN Messenger
beachbum1A
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 427
Registered: 6-17-2006
Location: Punta Banda, BC
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:13 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
WOW, wonder when it will start being used.

thks


IT IS being used. Belongs to the local cooperativa.




Just do it!
View user's profile
beachbum1A
Nomad
**


Avatar


Posts: 427
Registered: 6-17-2006
Location: Punta Banda, BC
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:20 PM


Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what's the lat/long?


29 44'38.46"N
115 40'41.45"W




Just do it!
View user's profile
MMc
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1446
Registered: 6-29-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:35 PM


The cranes are to off load fish, urchins, lobsters and other cargo. They also need help loading too. Notice there at the end of the docks.
I have launched my kayak off the jetty and a easy shot out to the ocean.

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by MMc]




"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.”


― Alexandra K.TrenforFields

View user's profile
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1709
Registered: 1-11-2006
Location: San Diego and Campo Lopez
Member Is Offline

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:39 PM


I went through there last year and thought it was pretty surreal to come up on such a nice, modern harbor in the middle of nowhere!



View user's profile Visit user's homepage
mtgoat666
Select Nomad
*******




Posts: 10735
Registered: 9-16-2006
Location: San Diego
Member Is Offline

Mood: Indivisible, resisting fascists in orange hair!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:43 PM


Quote: Originally posted by beachbum1A  
Quote: Originally posted by Maron  
WOW, wonder when it will start being used.

thks


IT IS being used. Belongs to the local cooperativa.


Coops cant afford harbors like that on fish alone. Perhaps the coop branched out into hemp farming?
View user's profile
Ateo
Elite Nomad
******


Avatar


Posts: 5470
Registered: 7-18-2011
Location: Oceanside
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 01:01 PM


Looks like a wave out front too. Weird, I didn't see any of this last year when I was there. Must've just missed it.
View user's profile
MMc
Super Nomad
****




Posts: 1446
Registered: 6-29-2011
Member Is Offline

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 01:06 PM


The wind is like Punta San Carlos. Good surf is hard to find out there.



"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.”


― Alexandra K.TrenforFields

View user's profile
 Pages:  1    3

  Go To Top


For high speed satellite internet in Baja call +1.6197170810 - or click here to email sistemassatelitales@hotmail.com



Tijuana Walking Tours - on Meetup.com


 






All Content Copyright © 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.
Powered by XMB; XMB Forum Software © 2001-2014 The XMB Group 






"If it were lush and rich, one could understand the pull, but it is fierce and hostile and sullen. The stone mountains pile up to the sky and there is little fresh water. But we know we must go back if we live, and we don't know why." - Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

 

"People don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care." - Ivan R. Misner, Ph.D

 

"You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them or to them." - Malcolm Forbes

 

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you." - Jim Rohn







Thank you to Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services for your long-term support of the BajaNomad.com Forums site.







Emergency Baja Contacts Include:

Desert Hawks; El Rosario-based ambulance transport; Emergency #: (616) 103-0262