Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Harbor - Punta San Antonio
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:26 AM
New Harbor - Punta San Antonio

My friend & I just came back from a trip to Punta Baja, just west of El Rosario, in a search of places to fish that we haven't tried as yet. And that was our primary reason for the trip that started at our homes here in Ensenada. We did go out with a local pangero from Punta Baja for the day, and although we didn't catch any pelagics we did get lots of large White Fish, Sheephead and some nice Reds. So now we know a bit more about that area and will be better prepared to fish there with our own boat when the time comes.

After the fish were cleaned we decided to take the trek of 26 miles south to Punta San Antonio (on a nasty dirt road) to see whatever happened to the man-made harbor they had started when we were 1st there 4-5 years earlier. When we were there then they had some very large earth moving equipment on site and were digging out for a harbor.

Fast forward to last week! It was done! Completed! I thought i was back in Southern California cause that's what this harbor looked like! A small channel off the ocean leading back and around a corner to this protected harbor! Pointed concrete pilings with docks that moved up/down on the pilings! Slips for approx. 30 pangas! Concrete launch area. (4) nice hoists for removing engines or boats. Solar powered lights. A concrete sidewalk up on top with a metal safety rail running along side the sidewalk. Blew our minds to say the least. Especially the fact that this was one project that was actually completed and not left half finished like so many. Hopefully I can post the shots I took.

The caretaker living there in a trailer said it was private and belonged to a man who owned the fishing cooperative there and to launch a private boat we would need written permission from the owner. Can't imaging one of us wanting to tow a boat those 26 hard miles but who knows - right!

P1040072.JPG - 159kB P1040069.JPG - 162kB P1040071.JPG - 173kB

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by beachbum1A]

Just do it!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:30 AM

Interesting, thanks for the report. Looks very well done.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:36 AM

We were impressed when we saw it. When I get home, I can add the old photos to compare. Road must be due for grading? It was good before, just dusty!

Well, when I looked at my 2005 photos, all that was there was a concrete boat ramp (which was impressive for that location)... I was thinking I saw the harbor before the June 2014 Trail of Missions trip? Here it was in June 2014 (posted originally back then):

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:45 AM

Wow! That harbor looks like it cost quite a bit. Certainly cost more than a rural fish coop can afford. Wonder where the money came from?
Who is the owner? Doesn't sound like the coop owns it
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 09:59 AM

That reeks of narco money!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:25 AM

straight shot out, well a long straight shot out, to guadalupe!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:33 AM

I think those beautiful hoists may be for some sort of cargo. Otherwise the`re going to be pulling engines and lifting boats all day long!!

Great find, what a surprise!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by beachbum1A  
My friend & I just came back from a trip to Punta Baja, just west of El Rosario, in a search of places to fish that we haven't tried as yet. And that was our primary reason for the trip that started at our homes here in Ensenada. We did go out with a local pangero from Punta Baja for the day, and although we didn't catch any pelagics we did get lots of large White Fish, Sheephead and some nice Reds. So now we know a bit more about that area and will be better prepared to fish there with our own boat when the time comes.

After the fish were cleaned we decided to take the trek of 26 miles south to Punta San Antonio (on a nasty dirt road) to see whatever happened to the man-made harbor they had started when we were 1st there 4-5 years earlier. When we were there then they had some very large earth moving equipment on site and were digging out for a harbor.

Fast forward to last week! It was done! Completed! I thought i was back in Southern California cause that's what this harbor looked like! A small channel off the ocean leading back and around a corner to this protected harbor! Pointed concrete pilings with docks that moved up/down on the pilings! Slips for approx. 30 pangas! Concrete launch area. (4) nice hoists for removing engines or boats. Solar powered lights. A concrete sidewalk up on top with a metal safety rail running along side the sidewalk. Blew our minds to say the least. Especially the fact that this was one project that was actually completed and not left half finished like so many. Hopefully I can post the shots I took.

The caretaker living there in a trailer said it was private and belonged to a man who owned the fishing cooperative there and to launch a private boat we would need written permission from the owner. Can't imaging one of us wanting to tow a boat those 26 hard miles but who knows - right!

...and the white fish you brought us were delicious. Thank you.

Bob Durrell
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
straight shot out, well a long straight shot out, to guadalupe!

We were thinking it's only about 5 miles out (due west) to the Sacramento Reef and some nice Calico fishing! :bounce:

Just do it!
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 11:03 AM

WOW, wonder when it will start being used.

thks
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 11:58 AM

what's the lat/long?

Harald Pietschmann
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:07 PM

I count FIVE cranes? Velly stlange...

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:12 PM

For once, it looks like they built a jetty large and long enough to trap any sand that may drift into the harbor area and block the boats from going out to sea.

A-LA-LAS SALINAS harbor, just below La Mision, BCN.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Maron  

thks

IT IS being used. Belongs to the local cooperativa.

Just do it!
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
what's the lat/long?

29 44'38.46"N
115 40'41.45"W

Just do it!
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:35 PM

The cranes are to off load fish, urchins, lobsters and other cargo. They also need help loading too. Notice there at the end of the docks.
I have launched my kayak off the jetty and a easy shot out to the ocean.

[Edited on 4-28-2016 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:39 PM

I went through there last year and thought it was pretty surreal to come up on such a nice, modern harbor in the middle of nowhere!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by beachbum1A  
Quote: Originally posted by Maron  

thks

IT IS being used. Belongs to the local cooperativa.

Coops cant afford harbors like that on fish alone. Perhaps the coop branched out into hemp farming?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 01:01 PM

Looks like a wave out front too. Weird, I didn't see any of this last year when I was there. Must've just missed it.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 4-28-2016 at 01:06 PM

The wind is like Punta San Carlos. Good surf is hard to find out there.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.