Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: New Harbor - Punta San Antonio
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
could be FONATUR money. They had proposed a port right about there in their Escalera Nautica program.

I had that thought too, that Escalara Nautica was starting back up on a smaller scale.
mjs
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 01:15 PM

When I was there I sat and watched them unload while I ate some lunch. Pick-up backs up on the cement, panga next to it and the hoist lifts the load right from the panga into the truck. Very quick, efficient o[peration.
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
I cant think of one fishing coop that could spend that kind of $ on that high end facility. Lets hear what Antonio says...sounds very very strange to me too as fishing cooperativas change directors every year or so and have no "owner" but is owned by the members the fishermen themselves. Sure looks like another financial interest may be at work there. We sure would love one of those in Asuncion!

I've passed through here a number of times and the Mexican army seems to maintain a presence. They are well aware of this place and keep an eye on it.

The reason for building this is that it provides easy access to the rich fishing grounds of the Sacramento reef.

Beyond that, the construction and quarrying has rendered the place ugly and desolate. There is no wind protection and it is usually straight onshore and whitecapping here by midmorning...not at the top of my destination list.

WTF
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 11:56 AM

Can someone ask Antonio how much it would cost to birth my 36 ft power boat there or ask the Cartel how much the would be willing to pay for a stolen 36 ft.yacht?:lol:

Bob Durrell
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 12:52 PM

I have been to that harbor many times as we have some parcels down that way. It is owned by the coop and they are very well connected politically. They were able to build it through a series of government grants. No narco money that I have heard of...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-2-2016 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by durrelllrobert  
Can someone ask Antonio how much it would cost to birth my 36 ft power boat there or ask the Cartel how much the would be willing to pay for a stolen 36 ft.yacht?:lol:

I think you mean "berth"....the thought of birthing 36 feet of anything makes me queasy...:D

Don't believe everything you think....
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2016 at 09:03 AM

How much fish biomass is there out there because it seems someone is planning on moving a lot of tonnage through this harbor. With all the slips filled and all fishing the coop will be hauling in a lot of fish. Where will it go? How will it get there? Is there an ice house in ER big enough to supply it? Or will ice come down coast?

Maybe for once a coop might be able to move up the economic ladder a little.
I hope the first big storm doesn't close the harbor entrance

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 09:34 AM

ER is the site of the local Co-op, so yes, they have the facilities to move tonnage to SQ or Ens.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 01:20 PM

Anything new to report here?

Also--- can you drive from Punta Baja to San Carlos?

[Edited on 6-11-2017 by BornFisher]

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-11-2017 at 01:42 PM

Yes. See roads on Google Earth.

I made a road log from El Rosario to Punta Baja to Punta San Antonio to the Punta San Carlos road just a few miles north San Carlos. It was a dozen years ago but probably not a whole lot changed. http://vivabaja.com/1205

Arrows along roads traveled.

I also traveled the road all the way to Solosports, Pta. San Carlos from El Rosario via the coast in 2014 with Cameron Steele's Trail of Missions group.

[Edited on 6-11-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 03:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BornFisher  
Anything new to report here?

Also--- can you drive from Punta Baja to San Carlos?

[Edited on 6-11-2017 by BornFisher]

Technically, yes. As a practical matter, no. There is a nice graded road from El Rosario de Abajo that runs all the way past Punta San Antonio and then rapidly degrades to a unmaintained nightmare. Max speed 0.5 MPH at best.

From Punta Baja I would just head back to the highway then take the regular Punta San Carlos road. You will save yourself many hours, possibly a broken axle, and you get to pass through beautiful cardon groves on the way.

WTF
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 06:44 AM

Chupacabra, what were you driving and when? If just after a storm, odds are the ejido has re-graded it.
Born Fisher, what are you driving?
I was on the coast road all the way into Punta San Carlos' Solosports Resort via the San Antonio road just 3 years ago and most of it less than 12 years ago and neither time were there any 4WD challenges either time. Fishermen use these roads all the time in their (typically) 2WD pickups. However, if you don't need to follow the coastline south of El Rosario, then take Hwy. 1 to Km. 80 and use the 36-mile graded road to Punta San Carlos for a no thrills drive.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 07:28 AM

except for the dust we found it an easy ride.....sounds like its changed!
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 08:15 AM

Be in a FJ cruiser, good rig but don`t like deep dust or breaking axles!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2017 at 08:41 AM

Normal off-road driving, even some fun bursts of speed do not break axles... at least on a Toyota. Deep dust (silt) is part of the backcountry of many parts of Baja. That being said, the typical dust beds of the Seven Sisters roads (near Punta Canoas and Punta Cono) this year were greatly reduced from my previous trip in 2007. Perhaps the heavy rains this past winter helped? Bring along an extra air filter for once you are back on dust free roads. Remember, lowering the air pressure in your tires has the greatest improvement over traction and comfort when off the pavement.
Pick up a quick air pump, like the MV50, for when you are back on the highway or to fix flats (bring a tire plug kit).

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2017 at 03:12 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Chupacabra, what were you driving and when?

Tacoma 4X4, I did the short stretch from Campo Nuevo at Punta San Fernando to the graded Punta San Carlos road. Maybe a year or two ago? It took a couple painful hours to do the small stretch.

It's the dotted-line road on the map you posted above. It clearly hadn't been graded in years; there were ruts 1-2 feet deep. I'm in that area a few times a year and I've never seen cars venture there, and there are no ranches I saw between PSF and the PSC road.

Maybe it's been graded since but I don't see why they would spend the money since there's no commercial activity.

WTF
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 11:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
. the 36-mile graded road to Punta San Carlos for a no thrills drive.

Shoot, that is one of the coolest drives in Baja! GIANT cardon forests, many geological wonders, wide open spaces with undisturbed vistas for a hundred miles!!.For many, it will be the biggest dirt road they have ever/ or will ever do..

TT
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 01:21 PM

We camped at that harbor a couple of years ago and they were great hosts, let us use the restrooms etc. We fished the inlet for halibut and the occasional bone fish. The hoists were used for unloading the pangas, lots of crustations, lobster etc. We jumped on a panga and fished sac reef for the biggest whitefish I've ever seen and good sized halibut. When we were there there were a group of guys bused in every day from el rosario to fish the calicos, there was one guy who was the rod and line fishing guy, the rest were more used to setting traps.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2017 at 03:54 PM

Sounds epic!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.