BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Any advice on driving to La Paz from San Diego?
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 07:35 PM

nothing wrong with the Loreto Bay Resort, NOR staying in Loreto. two different experiences.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 11:16 PM

Wow, I went away for a while, busy getting ready for the trip and this thread really delivered. I am so grateful to hear all the suggestions, esp the fuel thing and the hotels and eateries. :) Thanks so much!

I think the wife prepaid the hotel reservations so I'm not sure if we can switch. I am truly blessed by having a wife who is an ace at planning trips. We are really looking forward to it and have to report that my wife's mom and her husband wanted to go so we're taking them along. She's 85, he's 84! We just hope all the driving isn't too grueling for them.

Well we blast off manana so I'll try to post updates as we go... One thing I still would like to know is the best fishing boat or at least reasonably priced 1-day trip in La Paz. I'd like to take the FIL out fishing but he is aging and a bit fragile for the open sea if it's choppy at all.
I just don't know if it's a good idea for him to go out on the ocean. :?:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 07:42 AM

It's a great idea! When will you have another chance?

MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

You're right, we may never get the chance again... But he is old, fragile and somewhat shaky. If he falls and say, breaks his hip that would not be good. :no:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 08:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Coco Cabanas: 1 block west of the Malecon, north end.

http://cococabanasloreto.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150772-d291480-Rev...

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by David K]

x2 for Cocos. Lay by the pool, sip tequila, surf the net, walk to Cafe Ole.

Skip Loreto Bay, stay at Cocos or in town. Skip Cowboys in GN, you'll be happier at Terrasal and they take reservations.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 08:55 AM

If you drive at night, you risk hitting a horse.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 10:41 AM

He can stay seated and you can hand off the rod to him when a monster bites!

Quote: Originally posted by MOTRV8D  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

You're right, we may never get the chance again... But he is old, fragile and somewhat shaky. If he falls and say, breaks his hip that would not be good. :no:

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 10:53 AM

don't personally know any captains in La Paz, perhaps contact TailHunters (a restaurant but they can help I bet) for recommendations.
a good captain is not going to take you out if the conditions are not right. he will know conditions, especially wind conditions, which can kick up generally mid to later day. let him know your concerns. boating in the La Paz (and Loreto area where I live) is not to be missed if at all possible. gorgeous scenery, beaches, wild life. you would all have a blast.
Sea of Cortez can be very do-able for you, on the proper weather day. I'd avoid the Pacific side.
no one wants a major accident or injury out of country. hope you've considered medical evacuation insurance, especially with your parents along.

MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 11:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The Coco Cabanas: 1 block west of the Malecon, north end.

http://cococabanasloreto.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g150772-d291480-Rev...

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by David K]

x2 for Cocos. Lay by the pool, sip tequila, surf the net, walk to Cafe Ole.

Skip Loreto Bay, stay at Cocos or in town. Skip Cowboys in GN, you'll be happier at Terrasal and they take reservations.

We are seriously looking at staying at Cocos on the way back. Thanks for the rec for this place!
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 11:35 AM

BTW is there a way to subscribe to my thread so I can get email notifications whenever there is a reply? This feature is available in so many other forums, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If I click the Receive e-mail on reply? button will that do it for the whole thread or just for that one reply?
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 11:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
don't personally know any captains in La Paz, perhaps contact TailHunters (a restaurant but they can help I bet) for recommendations.
a good captain is not going to take you out if the conditions are not right. he will know conditions, especially wind conditions, which can kick up generally mid to later day. let him know your concerns. boating in the La Paz (and Loreto area where I live) is not to be missed if at all possible. gorgeous scenery, beaches, wild life. you would all have a blast.
Sea of Cortez can be very do-able for you, on the proper weather day. I'd avoid the Pacific side.
no one wants a major accident or injury out of country. hope you've considered medical evacuation insurance, especially with your parents along.

Evac insurance... never thought of that. Where would I look for that? We'll try to take at least one boat for sightseeing, not sure about taking the FIL out fishing yet. He really is quite frail.
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 11:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

There is no way we are driving at night! Heard too many horror stories. We are, however, taking a very nice, low-mileage 2013 Honda Crosstour on the trip, it drives very nicely (think an ugly body wrapped around a Honda Accord) and is perched up a bit higher.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 11:51 AM

that should do it for the whole thread. hit subscribe at the top middle of the page

as to medical evacuation insurance, many companies include it when you sign up for trip insurance. Skymed, there are others, is one company that covers Mexico. don't know whether it is for short trips, also, many folks here have annual policies. google is your friend if no one else has specific info.

BTW is there a way to subscribe to my thread so I can get email notifications whenever there is a reply? This feature is available in so many other forums, maybe I'm not looking in the right place. If I click the Receive e-mail on reply? button will that do it for the whole thread or just for that one reply?

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 5-4-2016 by rhintransit]

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 04:51 PM

Jonathan Roldan or his wife will gladly help you out at Tailhunters, Great folks and great restaurant.
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Jonathan Roldan or his wife will gladly help you out at Tailhunters, Great folks and great restaurant.

THANK YOU! We are off to the Baja! I will try to add some updates every chance I get. Prolluy won't be able to post any pics though until we get back.
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2016 at 11:47 PM

since you asked for advise my two cents is to drive south. thats as much planning as i ever do and all my best and most memorable trips are when i have no plans.
last year rode to Panama and back without a plan, gps or a map and i could write a book about the experiences.
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
since you asked for advise my two cents is to drive south. thats as much planning as i ever do and all my best and most memorable trips are when i have no plans.
last year rode to Panama and back without a plan, gps or a map and i could write a book about the experiences.

And here I am thinking I'm Meriwether Lewis just driving to La Paz. Geeze you are an adventurer! You're a lot braver soul than I am. Glad u made it back ok in one piece.

We made it to our hotel in Ensenada around 8:30p last night. Had an absolute feast at the El Rey Sol restaurant here in town. The Hotel Cortez is nothing fancy but ok.

We did encounter one difficulty, the signs as you cross the border at TJ are anything but clear.. We got lost and drove east for quite a while before the wife figured out how to get her GPS working on the iPhone. The people in charge of signage at the border crossing should be shot. :mad:

Okay so at least we are on 1 now, no more misdirection and we are on to El Rosario!
MOTRV8D

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 07:56 AM

El Rey Sol seafood platter. A fancy French joint in the Baja, who knew! Bon appetit!

image.jpeg - 171kB
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 10:19 AM

We did encounter one difficulty, the signs as you cross the border at TJ are anything but clear.. We got lost and drove east for quite a while before the wife figured out how to get her GPS working on the iPhone. The people in charge of signage at the border crossing should be shot. :mad:

Okay so at least we are on 1 now, no more misdirection and we are on to El Rosario!

The last couple months the overpass to the right that crosses the river, right after customs, has been closed off. Typically you stay right after customs and follow the signs to the toll road, but now you get sent through a tour of TJ or towards Tecate. You pretty much have to make a few right turns onto an overpass that comes from the South/East, after driving a few blocks through Tijuana (for any future travelers going this way).

On the bright side, it should be hard to get lost from now on, but maybe in La Paz! If you do head out on a boat, maybe try bringing some padding so the FIL can recline or lay down, in case it gets rough, if he's got a dodgy back. I had some back issues a while ago and boating in rough seas beat me up pretty bad. Going early is typically much calmer.

Have a great trip, and drive safe. ;)
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-5-2016 at 11:21 AM

SS,
Ahhhh, you could probably just buff that out... :coolup:

Yer mamma told you to be home by dark.

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.