Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Medical Clinics and Hospitals in Baja and Baja Sur
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 04:36 PM
Medical Clinics and Hospitals in Baja and Baja Sur

From the May Discover Baja Newsletter:

Remember to dial 066 (similar to 911 in the U.S.) to reach emergency services in Mexico
•Sharp International Patient Services will help you get back to the U.S. in an emergency. It doesn’t matter whether or not you are a Sharp Patient. The 24-hour hotline is 888-265-1513.
•Medical services are generally much cheaper in Mexico than in the U.S., but we always recommend that you purchase extra travel insurance. This will cover you in the case of a medical emergency and will also give you emergency evacuation.
•Medical Air Services Association (MASA) is a membership service providing lifesaving medical evacuation.

Below is a list of clinics and hospitals in Baja. Discover Baja assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following physicians and medical service providers.

Hospitals and Clinics in Baja:

Tijuana

Excel Hospital
Avenida Paseo de Los Héroes # 2507
Zona del Rio, Tijuana, B.C. CP 22010
México tel: 664-634-3434

Hospital del Prado
Calle Bugambilias # 50
Fraccionamiento El Prado
Tijuana, B.C. CP 22105
Mexico tel: 664-681-4900

Hospital del Carmen
Calle Manuel Doblado #402
Colonia Gabilondo
Tijuana, B.C. CP 22410
México tel: 664-681-7279

Tecate

Clínica Hospital Santa Catalina
Avenida Hidalgo 172
Col. Centro 21400
Mexico tel: 665-654-5555

Mexicali

Hospital General
Calle Alfareros C
Col. Industrial 21000
Mexico tel: 686-557-3861

San Felipe

Abasalo Medical Clinic
Calz. Chetumal
Mexico tel: 686-577-1458 or 686/573-0174

The Baja Medical Center
178.5 Carrettera Federal No. 5
Mexico tel: 686-576-0200

Cruz Roja (for ambulance services)
Mexico tel: 686-577-1544

Rosarito

Hospital General de Playas de Rosarito
(across the street from city hall)
Galilea Este 2200,
Tel: 661-612-6164

Cruz Roja (for ambulance service)
Mexico tel: 661-612-4928

Ensenada

Hospital Velmar
De Las Arenas 151
Mexico tel: 646-173-4500
www.hospitalvelmar.com
Open 24 hours

Guerrero Negro

IMSS (Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social) Hospital
Blvd. Emiliano Zapata Esq. San Luis Potosi
Mexico tel: 615-157-0233

Santa Rosalía

SSA Hospital Rural Santa Rosalía
Jaen-Michel Cousteau
Col. Mesa Francia
Mexico tel: 615-152-0789

Mulegé

Centro de Salud
Francisco I Madero
Mexico tel: 615-153-0298

Loreto

Hospital de la Comunidad de Loreto
Mexico 1, entrance to town
Open 24 hours

La Paz

Hospital Fidepaz
Km. 5.5 Mexico 1
Mexico tel: 612-124-0400

Hospital Juan María de Salvatierra
Ave. Paseo de los Deportistas 5115
Mexico tel: 612/175-0503
www.hgejms.gob.mx

Todos Santos

Centro de Salud
Degollado and Juárez
Mexico tel. 612-145-0095
open 24/7

East Cape

East Cape Health Center
#1 Plaza Libertad,
Mexico tel: 624-124-8203
9am-5pm Mon.-Fri., 8am-2pm Sat.,
www.eastcapemedical.com

San José del Cabo

H+ Los Cabos
Km 24.5
Mexico tel: 624-104-9300
http://hmas.mx/loscabos/

Walk in MediClinic
Km. 28
Mexico tel: 624-130-7011

Cabo San Lucas

AmeriMed
Blvd. Lázaro Card##as
Mexico tel: 624-143-9670
www.amerimed.com.mx
open 24 hours

Hospital General
Ave. Los Pinos
Col. Los Arcos
Mexico tel: 624-146-4262
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 04:59 PM

Also, if you are in Cabo consider Blue Med/ Blue Net on the highway just north of town. They have ER facilities.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 05:01 PM

Thanks. More about the Sharp services:

https://www.sharp.com/services/global-patient-services/

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 06:58 PM

hola TMW,

thank you for the list.

does anyone have any good testimonials about any on the list or have any others.

also, any info about any services to pay for medical flyouts that have been used to attest to ?

it does seem to be an item that isn't thought about until there is a medical emergency. i didn't and fortunately, i didn't need one.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 09:04 AM

:bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 09:10 AM

Nice post, could be most helpful to any of us, at any time.

thks
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 10:08 AM

Are any northern hospitals equipped to handle rattlesnake bites? Or should the unlucky bite recipient just keep heading to the border?

[Edited on 5-7-2016 by woody with a view]

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 11:30 AM

I have had occasion to use the Clinic in Mulege and the hospital in Santa Rosalia...In my opinion the care at both, while not fancy was excellent...and reasonably priced...FYI these two occasions were several years apart....

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 05:08 PM

I hate to say it but its almost funny you ask about Rattle snake bites. A week and a half ago my wife got hit by a baby side winder in San Felipe only the second snake we seen in thirty years. We contacted Doctor Abasol but he was out of town. We took her to the locale urgent care along with the now dead snake next to the fire dept. They did not have the medicine but after a couple calls within twenty minutes the anti venom medicine was delivered and administered. We were there for apx. 3-4 hours, IV, two shots and two prescriptions it set us back a whopping 450 pesos. Of coarse they had no change so I donated an extra 50 pesos. When we got home just for her peace of mind she went to see her locale doctor and he was impressed with the treatment she received. So in the future when at home if she gets bite again I'm dragging her back to Baja for treatment and to save probably with obamacare 6000 US.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 05:20 PM

6,000 dollars won't go very far! How about 143K?

http://www.10news.com/news/-143k-hospital-bill-shocks-snake-...

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:19 PM

Thanks, TMW.

One doesn't have to be any hospital patient in order to use medevac service, but you need to buy some evac plan before you get sick. From the Sharp webpage it doesn't sound like they offer medevac for free, and this kind of service is not cheap. In fact, it doesn't sound like they offer it at all:

"Our Global Patient Services (GPS) program coordinates patient transfers and evacuations from around the world to a Sharp HealthCare hospital".

One thing to keep in mind is that getting to any big Baja hospital in emergency is only possible if you live near that hospital :)

As to Baja hospitals - one name in Tijuana that often comes in expat circles is Angeles Hospital, though I don't see it on the the list. Probably DB have their er... preferences, in this matter.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:36 PM
Ensenada

Add:

Hospital Cardiomed
Álvaro Obregón 1018,
Zona Centro, 22800
Ensenada, B.C., Mexico
Phone: 646 178 0944
( Obregón between 10th and 11th)

Hospital San José
Calle L. Cárdenas 220,
Ex-Ejido Chapultepec, 22875
Ensenada, B.C., Mexico
Phone: 646 177 4307
(Cárdenas, west of Hwy 1 on the way to Estero Beach Resort)

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2016 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  

also, any info about any services to pay for medical flyouts that have been used to attest to ?

it does seem to be an item that isn't thought about until there is a medical emergency.

I understand they only land in major airports and in daytime.

From the top of my head, on the mainland, IN the city with a big international airport, it took 14 hours from the phone call to landing in San Diego. The flight itself was less than 5 hours. The phone call was placed on weekday morning. Stay healthy.
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 09:37 AM

Bumping back this thread.

I've noticed the Unimed office in Ensenada - seems well positioned for the cruise ship crowds.

Wondering if anyone had any experience with them and costs?
http://www.unimedhs.com

Smart to have a list of all available urgent care facilities in the area - better to have it and not use it....

Any feedback on service and costs at Hospital Velmar and the others in Ensenada?

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 02:11 PM

the emergency # in Mexico is now 911 -just like in the States.

The hospital in Santa Rosalia is basic but good. The docs can work outside the system for a fee.

One of our neighbors recently got ill and tried to get medevac they had contracted for along with their automobile insurance to pick them up: not

1. no lights in abreojos for a plane to land once sun goes down and this was nighttime

2. insurance told them to figure out their way north by plane and get reimbursed.

I often see that various people give talks in Cabo precisely on this topic. Maybe someone there can chime in.

I seem to also remember that husbands and wives must have their wedding certificates with them at the hospital in order to make health decisions.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BigOly
Senior Nomad

Mood: Easy Birder

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 02:41 PM

H+ in San Jose is great!!!!!!!!!A life saver for my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, where's my avitar?

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by BigOly]

barniclebob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2017 at 04:54 PM
medical fly out

There's an outfit called Divers insurance that will fly you to your country for medical help as well as find safe storage for your RV, and a few more things that I don't remember right now.You don't need to be a diver as well.Cost me $150.US per year.Nice option to have
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2017 at 05:59 PM

I noticed the listing for Amerimed Hospital in Cabo San Lucas. If you become ill or need emergency services I suggest you stay as far away from this facility as possible. I recently had an investigation where a man had a fatal heart attack at a very nice resort within a few miles of Amerimed. Paramedics were summoned to the resort and found the guy without a pulse laying on the floor in his room. Attempts were made to revive him to no avail however his body was taken by the paramedics to Amerimed and the spouse was charged $21,000 for services this hospital provided to again attempt to revive him. According to hospital employees this guy had a pulse when they brought him to the emergency room which is contrary to what the paramedics said and that many different procedures were provided however after 1 1/2 hours he died. I continued with my investigation and learned from very reliable sources that the paramedics are paid a hefty commission when they bring a tourist to this facility. Amerimed was on suspension when I went there because of their unscrupulous pricing and lack of good medical care. I believe there are a few more Amerimed facilities one in Puerto Vallarta and another in Cancun. BEWARE!----Also, the wife was not to obtain her husbands body until the bill was paid in full. The hospital wouldn't release it to the funeral home!!!!!! Nice vacation!
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2017 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by barniclebob  
There's an outfit called Divers insurance that will fly you to your country for medical help as well as find safe storage for your RV, and a few more things that I don't remember right now.You don't need to be a diver as well.Cost me $150.US per year.Nice option to have

DAN

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/

We have it. Hope we never have to use it. :cool:
You don't have to be a diver or be diving.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
2-28-2017 at 11:43 PM
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:09 AM

when these types of discussions happen, i find myself looking for the post that describes a story where a guy has chest pains, dials up his medivac provider and a shiny gulfstream 55 whisks him to a state of the medical-art facility in san diego within a short time...all for a reasonable annual premium.....anyone?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.