Author: Subject: Medical Clinics and Hospitals in Baja and Baja Sur
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 07:33 AM

crickets....
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 07:45 AM

Would be nice to have this all in a PDF stored on my phone.....maybe I will copy and paste and post a document online for all to download.

bajamary1952
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 09:16 AM

I had cataract surgery back in 2010 at Hospital Angeles in Tijuana and was very pleased with results with no problems. This chain is where all the celebrities go in Mexico as they're located in major cities. They might be more expensive than others but still much cheaper than the U.S.
The hospitals in Ensenada - haven't been there but I know several people who had bad experiences with them so might get a second opinion on that one before committing to anything.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:25 AM

Reminds me of the late James Gandolfini. He had a great time in Rome, Italy with his son celebrating his son's graduation from 8th grade. When he returned to the hotel room, he collapsed. The son called the emergency hotel line. Reports said he was conscious when the paramedics came. When he arrived at the hospital, after working on him for almost an hour, he was pronounced dead. I am sure the hospital bill was very high considering all of the emergency services that were performed. In a cardiac arrhythmia, which usually occurs during a heart attack, you may have a pulse initially and then not after the heart goes into full cardiac arrest. To label an entire company culpable and intentionally doing something underhanded is premature. The reality is that people go on vacation, eat and drink to excess, and don't take their medication as prescribed. Even if the state of the art Lear Jet arrived at the scene, after 5 minutes and the brain is deprived of oxygen, there would be irreversible brain damage. To point fingers at paramedics who initially might have not gotten a pulse, and then 10 minutes later the hospital found there was a pulse, can happen after a person goes into complete cardiac arrest and CPR was initiated. The vacation was ruined not by the hospital but by the patient having a heart attack. Yes maybe the hospital overcharged the patient but $21,000 for a full emergency treatment on a cardiac patient in the U.S. would have been a bargain. The clot busting drugs such as Alteplase are almost $7000 a dose. We don't know what medications and treatments were used to try and revive this patient. More information is clearly needed before a conclusion of financial fraud on the part of the hospital is assumed. And paying for the entire bill in a private hospital in Mexico before the body is released is customary.

[Edited on 3-4-2017 by EnsenadaDr]
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 12:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
when these types of discussions happen, i find myself looking for the post that describes a story where a guy has chest pains, dials up his medivac provider and a shiny gulfstream 55 whisks him to a state of the medical-art facility in san diego within a short time...all for a reasonable annual premium.....anyone?

...more crickets.

And, btw, don't count on DAN (diversalertnetwork.org) doing this, either. Even if you are "lucky enough" to collapse during daylight and your cell/sat works. Their mandate is to take you to the "closest capable" hospital - not exactly to San Diego. Vast majority of evac plans are like that - you can't specify the destination.

Have to agree with Ensenada Dr (this time around). Sudden death of heart disease just happens, you can't blame medicos. Blame your health condition. Survivors of heart attack have 2% a year chance to draw the short straw, i.e. one of every five of them will die within the next 10 years - and it will be sudden. Heart attack leaves scars on the vessels and they burst more easily later on.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 7-16-2017 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lizard lips  
I noticed the listing for Amerimed Hospital in Cabo San Lucas. If you become ill or need emergency services I suggest you stay as far away from this facility as possible. I recently had an investigation where a man had a fatal heart attack at a very nice resort within a few miles of Amerimed. Paramedics were summoned to the resort and found the guy without a pulse laying on the floor in his room. Attempts were made to revive him to no avail however his body was taken by the paramedics to Amerimed and the spouse was charged $21,000 for services this hospital provided to again attempt to revive him. According to hospital employees this guy had a pulse when they brought him to the emergency room which is contrary to what the paramedics said and that many different procedures were provided however after 1 1/2 hours he died. I continued with my investigation and learned from very reliable sources that the paramedics are paid a hefty commission when they bring a tourist to this facility. Amerimed was on suspension when I went there because of their unscrupulous pricing and lack of good medical care. I believe there are a few more Amerimed facilities one in Puerto Vallarta and another in Cancun. BEWARE!----Also, the wife was not to obtain her husbands body until the bill was paid in full. The hospital wouldn't release it to the funeral home!!!!!! Nice vacation!

The wife should have called the hospital's bluff.

She should have said, $21,000 dollars! You keep him.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 06:51 AM

I've said it before and I will say it again...in a medical emergency it is wise and prudent to immediately begin to arrange a medivac with a local airline wherever you are and not spend the precious hours attempting to get your American medivac down here. Just keep all the receipts and doctors reports etc.

Your insurance company will be happy as it is way cheaper doing it that way....but you will have to likely pay up front for everything.

this comes from experience in a couple medivacs I arranged.

Oh and you forgot our little IMSS hospital and ISSTE clinic here in Bahia Asuncion for which I am ever so grateful to have here...no operations but enough to stabilize a patient and make medical decisions!

[Edited on 7-17-2017 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 07:00 AM

This thread is a good reminder to eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, watch your weight, wear sunscreen and a hat!

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
This thread is a good reminder to eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, watch your weight, wear sunscreen and a hat!

One point of view. As legitimate as ''eat right, stay fit, die anyway.''

In the end, luck of the draw. Get your ducks in a row and think about your health while in Baja. Resources are limited down here.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-17-2017 at 10:48 AM

Your absolutely correct on how to take care of yourself but try telling it to Jim Fixx

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/22/obituaries/james-f-fixx-di...

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2017 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

One point of view. As legitimate as ''eat right, stay fit, die anyway.''

In the end, luck of the draw.

"Many" fatalities are a luck of draw. Sudden death of cardio-vascular reasons, including heart attack and stroke (the latter won't always kill you, but will leave you crippled for life if not helped FAST).

"Some" of the above can be avoided by healthy lifestyle and diet. The rest can't.

Small IMSS/ISSTE clinics... It's better to have than not to have it, but you should go and ask them - Is there alteplase or other clot-busting meds available? (window of opportunity few minutes to 3 hours). Do they even have defibrillator and somebody who knows how to use it? Is there snake antivenom? (6-12 hours window). Does their ECG machine work? And probably a few more questions.

Or - don't ask, you'll feel better than. Don't worry, be happy :)
hermosok123
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-19-2017 at 07:01 PM

If you have underlying diagnosed health issue(s) that may require ALS support be prepared to do that yourself or with your other. A tank of O2, the appropriate meds and the knowledge to use them will go a long way to getting you to a facility. The military has helped with snake ante venom down in Gonzaga and they will even assist with an ambulance on occasion. Absolutely do your homework and take into consideration the consequences of being in a hurry on a long difficult drive or late in the day. Maybe pack a small trauma kit.
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 03:52 PM

My experience with my husband is...You have to be totally aware of your own health issues and be very proactive. Do not wait if you suspect a serious problem may be developing!!!! Find a way to get to a large Baja centre or get to the U.S. or Canada as quickly as possible. We were slow but managed to make the fly home soon enough for his survival that time. Learned our lesson.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 04:54 PM

Lots of good info, Nomads. Salvatierra Hospital and H+ Hospital in La Paz and San Jose have given excellent care to my neighborhood Amigos. Red flag on Amerimed as warned. Also, Todos Santos has razed its old Centro de Salud and is expecting a new Hospital w/unknown services. Locals have to go to La Paz for emergencies and child births. We have also recieved a few new doctors in the last few years, even some US trained and lightly English speaking Doctors. I/We give many thanks. Such improvements!! Tio
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 05:44 PM

The OP, TMW posted a list of hospitals. Perhaps it's an ancient list because it doesn't include Hospital Angeles in TJ, which is one of, if not the best in TJ. Built about 10 - 20 years ago. I've checked it out. Absolutely spotless, totally modern, and big. Nationwide chain. All the specialties.

[Edited on 7-21-2017 by SFandH]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.