BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Road Conditions - BoLA to P. San Francisquito?
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 08:27 AM
Road Conditions - BoLA to P. San Francisquito?

Heading down later this week and trying to decide whether to take the route through Bahia de Los Angeles or the "smoother" route through El Arco. I'd like to stop and see a friend in BoLA, but if the road is in rough shape I'd rather not start my week down there getting beat up. (We have a 4x4 truck, but the kidneys can only take so much...)

Has anyone traveled the road from BoLA this spring? This will be my first trip this season.

Thanks in advance!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 08:37 AM

We were on the road 2-3 weeks ago and it was in good condition. There are a couple of slow spots but nothing to worry about. There was no 4x4 areas.
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 08:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
We were on the road 2-3 weeks ago and it was in good condition. There are a couple of slow spots but nothing to worry about. There was no 4x4 areas.

Thats great to hear. How was the washboard?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 11:07 AM

Let more air out of your tires! Amazing improvememt in ride on washboard and less flats, too!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 11:20 AM

Ask around in Bay of LA the locals will have the best and up to date info.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 11:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Ask around in Bay of LA the locals will have the best and up to date info.

Thanks. Reached out to two friends that live down there but neither has traveled the road yet this Spring. One thought that it had been recently graded, but not sure.

OCEANUS
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2016 at 03:09 PM

I was on the road about a month ago, leaving Las Animas when I passed a road grader. They were working the northbound side of the road just after it rounds the mountains and before the Animas junction.
I can't speak to the conditions north of there, but the section we traveled was in good shape.
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 08:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sbsyncro  
Quote: Originally posted by TMW  

Thats great to hear. How was the washboard?

I also drove from B de LA through El Arco to Hwy 1 about a month ago. The worst washboard was El Arco to Hwy 1. I've been passed by TMW on the dirt before so I know any road is "good" to him. Actually, it was bumpy but not washboarded and in pretty good shape after the first 5-6 miles out of Bahia. I was driving a 1-ton pickup so I may have had a few more slow spots.
BajaRun
Nomad

Mood: Just Cruisin'

[*] posted on 5-11-2016 at 03:23 PM

I went through there 2 weeks ago (camped on the beach at Poncho's) and the road was in pretty good shape. I wouldn't go around.
sbsyncro
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 11:50 AM

Finally getting back to post a follow-up after our trip. We took the BoLA road on the way out and then came back via El Arco. The trip from Bola took us just over 2 hours, and the road was in very good shape. There was only a short rough section about 2/3's of the way to PSFO around 28°22'49.0"N 113°07'08.6"W. It was all passable in a 2wd vehicle with decent clearance but this particular section might have required a bit of skill to navigate in a Honda Accord. We did it all with our gear and a 55 gallon drum of gasoline in the bed of the truck without any issues, albeit it was a 4x4 F250.

The road out via El Arco was likewise in really good shape, but a bit more washboarded in several long straight stretches. Toward the last 1/3 there is a long straight stretch running alongside a ravine and the roadbed is crumbling away into the ravine, with a number of wash-outs that could easily suck a car into the ravine if you get too close to the right side of the road (while traveling to El Arco).

At 4:22 my gut tells me it took about an hour longer to travel the El Arco route from PSFO to the BoLA turnoff versus the BoLA road, but I didn't keep accurate records of the trip from BoLA. (figure 1 hour on the hwy to BOLA then another 2:20 or so on the dirt road)

[Edited on 6-3-2016 by sbsyncro]

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 12:57 PM

Great report ABSyncro---------many thanks. Love that loop trip you took.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 01:34 PM

Roads like that are one of the things I look forward to on my trips SOB! It sounds about like I expected it would be, which is better than the last time I drove it (post Norbert and Odile).

I love the remoteness, and the scenery on that road, best viewed in morning light! Thanks for the update.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 04:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Roads like that are one of the things I look forward to on my trips SOB! It sounds about like I expected it would be, which is better than the last time I drove it (post Norbert and Odile).

I love the remoteness, and the scenery on that road, best viewed in morning light! Thanks for the update.

Some of the Best of Baja!

From around Cuesta de la Ley to Pta San Francisquito to near San Rafael...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
6-5-2016 at 10:01 AM
hurleyskis

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 01:04 PM

Wanting to head out this way after Coco's heading to San Ignacio and the n San Juanico in this rig.....Opinions? Think i'll have any trouble getting through?

Done it a few time but always on motos and taking single track...never taken the road through to El Arco side.

IMG_1133.JPG - 182kB
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 01:25 PM

Make sure you have spare parts for trailer axles, etc. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

hurleyskis

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 01:54 PM

Of course! Baja tends to break every/anything
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2016 at 04:50 PM

The stretch between bahia San Rafael and San Francisquito has some washed out vados with steep entry/exits that may or may not cause you problems. The rest of it is easily passable but may shake a trailer apart.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.