Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexico's President Proposes Legalizing Same Sex Marriage
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 07:58 AM
Mexico's President Proposes Legalizing Same Sex Marriage

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36317190

Mexico's President, Enrique Pena Nieto, has proposed constitutional reform to legalize same-sex marriage across the country.

The decision follows a Supreme Court ruling that opened the way to such unions.

Gay marriage is only legal in the capital, Mexico City, and a few states.

Elsewhere in Latin America, Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and most recently Colombia have already legalised same-sex marriage.
Mexico's Supreme Court declared last year that it was unconstitutional for the country's states to ban such marriages.
Mr Pena Nieto made the announcement at an event marking Mexico's national day against homophobia.

Screen grab of a tweet from Mexico's President Enrique Pena Nieto which says: Image copyrightTWITTER - @EPN
On Twitter, the president said: "For an inclusive Mexico that recognises in diversity one of its biggest strengths." He used a hashtag in Spanish saying: "Without homophobia".

His and the Mexican government's profile pictures on Twitter were overlaid with the rainbow flag of gay pride.

Argentina was the first Latin American country to legalize same-sex marriages in July 2010.

The BBC's Will Grant in Mexico City says the governing PRI party has always prided itself on upholding the conservative values of Mexican society.

But the move is perhaps a recognition by the Pena Nieto government that attitudes towards gay rights have relaxed in recent years, our correspondent adds.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 09:43 AM

Good for Mexico:!:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 04:30 PM

As a predominately Catholic nation, I don't know how that will fly. Especially when there is an ever growing fundamentalist Christian population.

But, also, good for him.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-18-2016 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
As a predominately Catholic nation, I don't know how that will fly. Especially when there is an ever growing fundamentalist Christian population.

But, also, good for him.

OH.... MY...... ALLAH.... Let this go down in Nomad history, stop the presses!! Wodd and I are on THE SAME PAGE ! Wodd for Wodd.... er, word-for word, I couldn't agree more, especially the last line.

If you're against gay marriage then I say, ''THEN DON'T MARRY ONE". Otherwise, butt out of other people's private lives and Constitutional Freedoms and protections under the Law.

Viva Mexico...... hope it stands.

*Happy now, Oh Wise One?*

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 06:10 AM

Sometimes ya just gotta do what's right. Too bad the religions haven't evolved enough to lead the way.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 07:04 AM

Who cares? Very few. Do what you want to do in a private life, but just keep your son and his penis out of my daughter's restroom.

[Edited on 5-19-2016 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-19-2016 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Sometimes ya just gotta do what's right. Too bad the religions haven't evolved enough to lead the way.

The first swipe of a scalpel while dissecting any religion reveals that religion is about control. Those in control rarely give it up willingly.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 04:45 PM

As someone who spent a great deal of time in the movement for civil rights back in the 60s, I find it interesting that gay rights, as well as as LGBT rights have made it this far so fast.

Sadly, the election of our first black president appears to have brought out all of the latent racism in our country.

Just seems to me that if Mexico, with its long tradition of Catholicism,and a burgeoning fundamentalist Christian movement can embrace this idea, then why cannot we?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  

Just seems to me that if Mexico, with its long tradition of Catholicism,and a burgeoning fundamentalist Christian movement can embrace this idea, then why cannot we?

Puritanism.
amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:16 PM

I am completely Ok with allowing two or more women marry if they want. I'm pretty much live and let live and keep the damn govt. out of peoples lives. Call me what ever you want but I do draw the line on allowing two men to marry. As soon as you open up same sex marriage for men you are opening up the way for pedophiles to marry each other claiming to be gay and legally adopt little boys. There will be some really screwed up kids in the name of political correctness. I say flock that.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 08:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
I am completely Ok with allowing two or more women marry if they want. I'm pretty much live and let live and keep the damn govt. out of peoples lives. Call me what ever you want but I do draw the line on allowing two men to marry. As soon as you open up same sex marriage for men you are opening up the way for pedophiles to marry each other claiming to be gay and legally adopt little boys. There will be some really screwed up kids in the name of political correctness. I say flock that.

holy crap! :rolleyes:
(tell us you never spawned ... pls!)
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
I'm pretty much live and let live and keep the damn govt. out of peoples lives.
Wait a minute; isn't marriage (in the sense we're referring to it here), in itself a government institution? :?:

So true. Marriage does not need the blessing of any religious organization. It is a secular thing that has benefits and debits.

But at the end of the day, people who want to demonize such unions are just nasty hate mongering religious zelots.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 07:43 AM

A pedophile can marry a woman right now and make children and molest them. They've been doing this for eternity. I would encourage you to do your homework before spouting off.

23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 02:31 PM

I wonder, sir, how you manage to navigate living in the dark. Someone mentioned how far the gay community has come in such a short time, and when i read comments like the quote above, it doesnt surprise me that we still have a long way to go to enjoy basic human rights in the midst of such arrogance and ignorance. How some people manage to walk while tripping over their intelligence is amazing.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 5-26-2016 at 03:53 PM

amigobaja,
The Smithsonion called...they want your views back...

Don't believe everything you think....
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 5-27-2016 at 07:08 PM

oh my...arent we just tween the chit, now...leave it alone, please.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2016 at 05:47 AM

i clicked on this thread not because i am interested in the debate. i consider the debate a red herring to distract americans from real issues. rather, i clicked to be entertained by what i was sure to find, hateful, narrow minded tripe. i was not disappointed.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2016 at 01:12 PM

Men and women are capable of marrying animals as well. Beastialism is not illegal. Zoosexual's are born that way.

For any pedophile nomads out there, there have to be more creative ways to get your hands on a child than adoption. Think outside the box.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2016 at 12:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

i clicked on this thread not because i am interested in the debate. i consider the debate a red herring to distract americans from real issues. rather, i clicked to be entertained by what i was sure to find, hateful, narrow minded tripe. i was not disappointed.

I think P-Bob made a very eloquent rebuttal to a brain dead and idiotic comment that has no basis in fact...or intelligence. I wish I could be so thoughtful. But I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying REAL HARD!

[Edited on 5-29-2016 by redhilltown]

[Edited on 5-29-2016 by redhilltown]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
5-29-2016 at 10:34 AM
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 06:16 PM

I hope some day we can get to the point of caring for each other without judging each other.
Its nice when people have something to believe in,
It's even nicer without the need to impose those beliefs on others.

Good luck Amigo

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by BajaRat]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.