Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wild Baja -- Part One to Bahia Asuncion
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 10:19 AM
Wild Baja -- Part One to Bahia Asuncion

I will try to keep this as short a possible but a lot happened on this trip.

My daughter was going down to Shari's place in Bahia Asuncion and we offered Shari a ride from Ensenada to her place on Thursday.

We loaded up my daughters motorcycle and left Joshua Tree Wednesday morning, exchanged some money and crossed the border at Mexicali.

We where waved over and was asked for the paperwork for the motorcycle. After they verified that it matched the paperwork they let us continue on.

We exchanged some more money south of the border and headed out of town to Ensenada via Tecate.

Some realignment of the road from Tecate to Ensenada has been done and they are working on doing more but it was a pretty uneventful drive.

We find a room for the night, grab a bite to eat and call it a day.

The next morning we meet Shari at Applebees at 8 am and head south. Shari tells some great stories, talks about the culture in Bahia Asucion, and her time spent studying whales.

A part of that conversation was about how animals, especially whales in this case, seem to have a 6th sense and can pretty accurately judged a person. They seem able to tell if a person is good or bad, happy or sad, healthy or ill and whether or not they want to share themselves with a person.

Almost has me afraid to go out and see whales and to be judged by them, what if I fail? This topic also seemed to set a tone for the trip I was to go on after leaving Bahia Asuncion.

it is a long ways from Ensenada to Bahia Asuncion but Shari is great company and all goes well and we arrive late in the afternoon where we meet Ron, Shammy (sp?) and Cafe.

We mention seeing a wolf on Vancouver Island last summer while hiking the North Coast trail and Ron says something about having a wolf spirit.

Shari lets us stay in the upstairs suite which has a kitchenette and is really cool with a wrap around balcony overlooking the ocean and the blowhole.

The next morning I unload Samantha's bike, talk to Ron for a bit, walk the beach with Shari's dog before saying good-byes and heading out on a roundabout way home.

Some Pictures of Shari and Juan's place.....

Shari Balcony.JPG - 161kB Shari Door.JPG - 248kB Shari View.JPG - 234kB Shari Dogs.JPG - 159kB Shari Sam and Ron.JPG - 220kB

PART TWO
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83138

PART THREE
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83141

PART FOUR
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83142

[Edited on 5-21-2016 by Fatboy]
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 10:27 AM

Nice report. Good company for sure. So, what is that roof rack on the Jeep. Looks pretty stout. That moto go up there?

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 10:28 AM

Good beginning!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 10:30 AM

Can't wait to hear the rest!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 11:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by El Jefe  
Nice report. Good company for sure. So, what is that roof rack on the Jeep. Looks pretty stout. That moto go up there?

Naw...it is a hitch mounted carrier but I didn't want it dragging back there on the way home so I tossed it up on the roof.
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:07 PM

I figured that out after making the pic big.:D
But never the less, the moto would look good up there carried like a bicycle. Would like to meet the guy that could heft it up there.
Thanks for the great reports coming it. All good stuff.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
I will try to keep this as short a possible but a lot happened on this trip.

it is a long ways from Ensenada to Bahia Asuncion but Shari is great company

Some Pictures of Shari and Juan's place.....
[/rquote

Edit by AKgringo (I screwed up a partial quote)

Keep it short....why? It is not like some of us Nomads have much else to entertain us!

Shari is the only known, active Nomad that I have actually met. Even though it was brief, it seemed like I was talking to an old friend. I got to watch a sunset from that upper deck....very cool!

Did Shari's cat let you know who was in charge around there? My dog figured it out right away!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Instead of separate posts, it could really be one long thread? That's totally your call, but if you do keep each day a separate post, please provide links at the bottom, to the next day's post, so as they get spaced apart over time, one can read from day to day without searching for the next day's post.

It seems a really long post is awkward, but then so does this way....how do I do the link?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Instead of separate posts, it could really be one long thread? That's totally your call, but if you do keep each day a separate post, please provide links at the bottom, to the next day's post, so as they get spaced apart over time, one can read from day to day without searching for the next day's post.

It seems a really long post is awkward, but then so does this way....how do I do the link?

Go to Part 2, copy the URL from your browser at the top, and then paste it here. Post something like This Trip Report Continues with Day 2 (Part 2) at: [add the link here]

At the top of Part 2 you can even post" This Report continues from Part 1 [insert Part 1 link]. Do so for each Part start and end. So anyone can read from one post to the next easily, if they are not together.

[Edited on 5-21-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:23 PM

I saw one of the dogs nose! The 'cat' seems to like people but not dogs!

Even now it seems long and I am leaving out a bunch of little details and I am only just past the halfway point.:)

Edit by AKgringo (I screwed up a partial quote)

Keep it short....why? It is not like some of us Nomads have much else to entertain us!

Shari is the only known, active Nomad that I have actually met. Even though it was brief, it seemed like I was talking to an old friend. I got to watch a sunset from that upper deck....very cool!

Did Shari's cat let you know who was in charge around there? My dog figured it out right away![/rquote]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:23 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83138

^^^ link to day 2 ^^^ copy and paste

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:25 PM

Thanks David and Woody gonna fix right now!
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 02:13 PM

Awesome!

The hitch-mounted carrier looks a lot like the Harbor Freight carrier I used to drag my old Suzuki down a month ago.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 07:41 AM

Where is there an Applebees in Ensenada?

For Shari: re: "whales in this case, seem to have a 6th sense and can pretty accurately judged a person. They seem able to tell if a person is good or bad, happy or sad, healthy or ill and whether or not they want to share themselves with a person."
Could you tell us some examples that you've seen, and what their behavior is in relation to peoples' emotions? Fascinating.

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Where is there an Applebees in Ensenada?

For Shari: re: "whales in this case, seem to have a 6th sense and can pretty accurately judged a person. They seem able to tell if a person is good or bad, happy or sad, healthy or ill and whether or not they want to share themselves with a person."
Could you tell us some examples that you've seen, and what their behavior is in relation to peoples' emotions? Fascinating.

Next to the walmart? :) Sorry I am the worse person to ask directions of.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 08:01 AM

The Applebees is in the Macro Plaza on the highway going south leaving Ensenada...right in the front on the highway...right side going south.

Wilderone...I hope we can get together to discuss your questions as I have hundreds of examples and this is something I witness on a daily basis. It is always fascinating to me to see who the whale chooses to engage with and who they dont go near. They tend to spend time with terminally ill or sick people, people suffering emotional trauma and highly conscious people. We have a little joke about wearing tie dye to attract whales...it's not really the tie dye but the kind of people who wear it that attract whales.

But for example, more aggressive, playful whales are attracted to that type of person or group too. If someone is really really afraid, a whale will not get too close to the boat and respects that fear. If people are just too darn pushy and demanding a whale come up to be touched...they often just dont respond to that type of order.

What is really funny are the professional photographers who are rather pushy, demanding and often rude to others. I have seen this happen countless times...a whale will be at the boat and just when the photographer has all the gear out, bag open, changing lenses...the whale will push a wall of water directly at him dousing all his expensive gear with salt water!

Because we spend time with the same whales on a daily basis, we get to know their personal characters and it is amazing to watch how they treat certain people differently. They choose who they want to grace with their presence...although they feel the desperation of others on board and go to visit everyone for a little while and then go back to the chosen one. If there is a child or someone who really needs a little physical contact I try to move them beside the chosen ones. Sometimes the chosen one will move to the other side of the boat to give others a chance to touch a whale and the whale will also go to the other side. Often you can see what I am talking about in the videos I produce. These help me observe and further understand whale behaviour.

I could go on for hours and hours but maybe you get the idea?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 09:08 AM

Observing the whales with this type of insight would be especially interesting. I was in a panga once with a family of three - a couple with their 8-yr old boy; just we four in the boat along with boatman. A baby whale came along side the boat to "visit" and the boy touched the whale's head. I then leaned over to do the same, but the whale ducked under the water. It reappeared, allowed the boy to pet him again - I reached over again, and the whale ducked again. It was clear that the whale preferred interacting with the boy, and not me. You should write a book, Shari.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.