Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fighting yellowtail with a hernia
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 5-21-2016 at 10:58 AM
Fighting yellowtail with a hernia

This is prolly a lot more than anyone wants to know, but I'm sure there are some of you out there that has dealt with this issue. I developed a hernia last week, my doctor and surgeon both say to just live with it unless it causes me discomfort which it currently does not.
I often use a small fighting belt with yellowtail, does this make sense to keep using it? Rod butt under the arm-pit? Forgetaboutit and troll for sierra? What say you?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 11:09 AM

go with the belt! why not?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 11:38 AM

get a second opinion...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:04 PM

Follow Bob and Susan's advice......

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:12 PM

It could be worse....you could have a hook in your mouth!:lol::rolleyes:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 12:14 PM

This should even the odds a bit for the YT!!!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 04:32 PM

Start wearing tighter underwear. Maybe some European style ones. Very attractive on older men. :o

Seriously, I have a mild hernia condition as well, that doesnt justify surgery. When it flares up, I find that wearing one of those stretchy, spandex, velcro-fastening, back support "belts" feels good on my back and the hernia area. Everything is just much better supported. I take one with me whenever I go fishing, even if the back and hernia are feeling OK. One big fish can change everything.

You can get good ones for reasonable in the orthopedic section of a Walmart. I like the ones wit an initial fastening around the waist and then a secondary "tightener" (again, stretchy spandex with velcro). I dont feel the need for the kind with the shoulder supports like workers wear.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 04:47 PM

When I read the title of the thread, I thought that the Yellowtail had a hernia.:P
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 05:03 PM

As Mick Jagger sang "What a drag it is getting old" (Mother's Little Helper).

I bet nomads could collaborate on a book "Sportfishing for Baby Boomers".

Just don't "bust a gut" for a yellowtail. Risk/reward calculations don't pan out. Save it for fighting real tuna.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 05:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
As Mick Jagger sang "What a drag it is getting old" (Mother's Little Helper).

I bet nomads could collaborate on a book "Sportfishing for Baby Boomers".

Just don't "bust a gut" for a yellowtail. Risk/reward calculations don't pan out. Save it for fighting real tuna.

anyone spot over on FB albacore on the producer out of H&M :bounce:
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 06:21 PM

Thanks Hook, just what I was looking for. The rest of you guys can feel my pain:cool:
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2016 at 06:34 PM

I have the same issue at times - I have to place the rod butt on the bait tank & sit on it with the rod on the gunwale - drop the reel into low gear and carefully wind it in. This is actually very effective!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 06:17 AM

you "old guys" need younger doctors...this "hernia stuff" is a pretty easy "fix" with the new surgery protocol

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 06:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
you "old guys" need younger doctors...this "hernia stuff" is a pretty easy "fix" with the new surgery protocol

Here is the list of complications that can occur, this from memory:

1. Might loose a testicle.
2. Pen*s can turn a dark color, wither and die. SWMBO says it's been that......never mind.
3. Horrible, life-long pain from the scar tissue that can encapsulate nerves. I quote: "If we have to go back in and we cut the nerve CORRECTLY, you will loose most of the pain but have numbness in that region."

I did not inquire why he emphasized the word 'correctly' as he lost me at #2.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 06:58 AM

I thought Hernias came from lifting very heavy objects.:)
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 07:48 AM

I was kidding about the Euro underwear, Santiago. I hope that's not the "info you were looking for". :biggrin:

But I think you should consider going to the style of underwear that athletes use.

I went looking for a old style jockstrap, when I started to get heavily into pickleball, and found that most everyone has switched over to underwear that clings tightly to the entire area, from the waist, down. So, that's what I wear for active activities. They go from mid thigh to the waist. I prefer the Under Armor brand. Very supportive of the entire region, including the lower belly.

This outta generate a few more posts.............
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 08:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
When I read the title of the thread, I thought that the Yellowtail had a hernia.:P

How would you know? Autopsy after catcing?

Bob Durrell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 09:00 AM

Support underwear applies only light pressure, so it's really pretty ineffective for hernias that push out due to coughing, lifting strain, etc. support pantyhose type undies will only help keep in the very light duty activities. I suppose pantyhose will help for catching the little football tunas, but a real big fish will cause strain that will not be kept in by pantyhose, so best to cut the line if you get a big fish (or hand the rod to someone else)

P.s. The hernia is a good excuse for making your wife do all the lifting around the house!

[Edited on 5-22-2016 by mtgoat666]
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 5-22-2016 at 10:24 AM

Don't be to concerned Santiago you have several options,1 wear a belt with a wide base to it, if your fishing for big strong fish put it on when entering the boat and don't take it off till your done fishing.
2 get it fixed its a piece of cake today not so years ago.

You never said but was it a double or single hernia, makes a difference?

I have a history of hernia problems.........1 double an 3 singles,I lost a nut due to a butcher, a company Doc who couldn't make it on his own!! its the size of a pea today but fortunately we can operate on one very nicely:biggrin:

The last Doc I went to told me if done right you won't have any more problems ever! that was 15+ years ago!
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.