Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Hwy 5 update 5/21/16
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 11:48 AM

AND they are the same pics we have seen over and over....I think there was an update a few days ago, as I remember, not much has changed...try the search feature with a short time limit on it...good luck

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 01:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoDiesel  
Wow, it's been a long time since anyone posted an update on Highway 5 progress. Does anyone have any current information??

I was going by this post on the 25th. I will just go elsewhere.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 01:29 PM

OR! Just post some more ME ME ME ME pictures.....

fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 01:38 PM

I was looking for a good update on this Highway 5, as I am heading back to Loreto sometime around September 15 with the 38ft motorhome and the Liberty behind it. I thought it was a piece of cake in May when I went through there with the rig, although it was rough in places, so at 10 mph it takes a while to get through it. Hopefully they have graded it by the middle of September.. So, David, if you get any more updates, please post them.. Thanks..
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 02:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Quote: Originally posted by MexicoDiesel  
Wow, it's been a long time since anyone posted an update on Highway 5 progress. Does anyone have any current information??

I was going by this post on the 25th. I will just go elsewhere.

In this forum, I was the most recent road report, posted on 7-11-16, a day after driving it:

Hi Nomads,
I was on Hwy. 5 yesterday (Sunday) all the way to Hwy. 1.
NOT ONE INCH of new pavement has been added to the section under construction in the past ~ 1.5 years (we drove it in July 2015 and it was about 6 mos. old I think then).

Crews were sitting around on site but no machines were operating except for a water on the Laguna Chapala crossing. It was Sunday, but I think I have seen them work Sundays before?

Except for maybe 3 completed bridges and the road bed across the Chapala valley, it is hardly any different, through the mountain section, than in July 2015.

We just got home tonight, so look for a full, photo-filled trip report soon!

OH, they changed the kilometer markers somewhere south of Puertecitos! The Gonzaga Pemex was Km. 150 last year, and now is Km. 147 (just south of the marker).
Pavement ends just over 20 kilometers south (Km. 167 1/2).
My odometer has the dirt from there to Coco's Corner at 9.9 miles and Coco's to Hwy. 1 at 12.6 miles. There are some small sections of new road bed you do get to drive on which lowered the overall miles by a tiny bit from my readings last year. Dirt total now 22.5 miles.

EDIT: Just looked at the Trip Reports forum, and like here, I was the most recent report (7-10-16 trip). Surely some Nomad can post of any changes in the past month, if any?

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 02:42 PM

I think you drove everyone away David by making this post about you and your pictures. If anyone is still around, I went through 3 weeks ago. Work is proceeding on the east and west parts of the road with the foreman saying they were getting ready to pave those sections (but things change as we all know). The middle section was being regarded and it looked as though they were going back to work. I will be going through soon and will be posting any additional reports over on facebook TALKBAJA.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 02:46 PM

That's the deal....

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 03:16 PM

you mean TALKBAJA where they have "blocking"? :bounce:...priceless!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 03:19 PM

Well sure, I was only sharing some historic photos because (believe it or not) there are new people here every day, and not everyone has seen the old pics. I hope BajaGlenn enjoyed them because I just removed them seeing as two or three of you were wetting yourselves over something so petty as photos of the old road in the 70s.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 03:33 PM

:lol: historical photo's....you need help my man!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 03:35 PM

Oh! You removed them? Well that makes it allright then..

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 03:35 PM

I missed them david but thanks for the thought tho!! I'm in the process if trying to sell my place here in Oregon and hope to move back to Baja-wife permitting-i have enjoyed your posts in the past tho!!!--Glenn
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 03:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Oh! You removed them? Well that makes it allright then..

And his other meaningless posts as well. Another hit and run.

[Edited on 8-26-2016 by rts551]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
I missed them david but thanks for the thought tho!! I'm in the process if trying to sell my place here in Oregon and hope to move back to Baja-wife permitting-i have enjoyed your posts in the past tho!!!--Glenn

In this thread, scroll down to my post on 3-4-2013 to see some photos I took in the 70s south of Puertecitos...
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64948

BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 05:55 PM

Thanks David i looked at em all and yes i remember the clam man in S.F and his slogan "My clams make you horny" Anyone-Remember that!! Glenn

[Edited on 6-11-2015 by BajaGlenn]
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 06:23 PM

Drove it southbound yesterday. It is pretty much the same as it has been for the last year or so, still 21 miles of bad road.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 06:37 PM

Did you stop by Cocos? How is he doing?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 06:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGlenn  
Thanks David i looked at em all and yes i remember the clam man in S.F and his slogan "My clams make you horny" Anyone-Remember that!! Glenn

[Edited on 6-11-2015 by BajaGlenn]

Yep and fish tacos were 25 cents! My friends and I ate well curb--side in San Felipe before driving the 20 dirt miles to Shell Island back around 1980!

joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 07:04 PM

Drove it a week ago. For a dirt road, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not quite the best shape I've seen it in but better than it typically is. The road crews have been maintaining the road well. The progress on the paved road is remarkable. Some new bridges in and a lot of road bed has been set.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 07:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Did you stop by Cocos? How is he doing?

Yes I did Tom, he looked good. There was a good size group of Baja adventurers there and he was in his element. He and his place looked better than ever.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.