Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Hwy 5 update 5/21/16
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2016 at 10:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joel  
Drove it a week ago. For a dirt road, I give it 4 out of 5 stars. Not quite the best shape I've seen it in but better than it typically is. The road crews have been maintaining the road well. The progress on the paved road is remarkable. Some new bridges in and a lot of road bed has been set.

Thank you Joel for an excellent and relevant report. Hope it helps those looking for info.
Ron in BC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2016 at 02:30 PM

Really appreciate the effort made to provide up-to-date info on this route.

It was my first time down this last Jan. and I'm hoping that I can take that route by next Jan. But, with a small truck and a 19' trailer I'm hoping some time before Jan. I see reports that paving is being done.

Keep those reports coming :)

Ron
MexicoDiesel

[*] posted on 10-7-2016 at 09:19 PM

No updates on Highway 5 since the end of August and we are now getting close to Snowbird travel time. Does anyone have an up to date report on Highway 5??
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-8-2016 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoDiesel  
No updates on Highway 5 since the end of August and we are now getting close to Snowbird travel time. Does anyone have an up to date report on Highway 5??

I drove it to Coco's from Gonzaga last month (Sept. 10, 2016)... it is in my trip report... basically, NO additional pavement miles southbound (same place as early 2014) but crews are back at work, whereas in July they seemed to be on stand down.

If 22-23 dirt miles are going to be an issue, then avoid... but the road is no worse than the detours along sections of other highways you will be driving in Baja. The steep dips (vados) between San Felipe and Puertecitos can be more of an issue than the dirt section of Hwy. 5, if taken too fast.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2016 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MexicoDiesel  

Drove it the day before yesterday. Subaru, no problems. 1 1/2 hrs for the 22.5 miles. Graded, rocky, not too many sand patches. Some areas where you could choose rock vs sand parallel paths. Some "guess which way" areas but all seemed to reconverge fairly quickly. Trip report and photos to follow in my original thread Mex 5, again.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 06:19 AM

Glad you made it back to Loreto safely, ROberta.. Wasn't that bad going on 5, was it?? Hope you enjoyed the beautiful scenery along the coast.
MexicoDiesel

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 06:19 PM

Thanks for those reports. I was hoping that a miracle had happened and the paving was done, but we will stick to Mex 1 for this season.
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2016 at 06:45 PM

I just drove Hwy 5 from the Chapala intersection to San Felipe, a week ago or so......
The construction crews are working hard on this road project. Many concrete culverts are finished already, way ahead of the road grading.
Still quiet rocky and dusty to drive this last 23 Miles of Hwy 5's dirt road section.
I rather deal with the traffic on #1.
From Chapala

to the asphalt road
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 10-11-2016 at 09:07 PM

i love this route...we will NEVER go through san quintin and ensenada again...i LOVE this "all about baja" route...no trucks, no buses, no lights, no white knuckles, no exhaustion, etc, etc...

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 04:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mulegemichael  
i love this route...we will NEVER go through san quintin and ensenada again...i LOVE this "all about baja" route...no trucks, no buses, no lights, no white knuckles, no exhaustion, etc, etc...

Me too....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 06:45 AM

I'm with you "mulegemichael", there is no other route for me either. I did it twice now with the 38ft motorhome towing my JEEP and will go that way again, when I head north next year.. No STRESS on 5..A few trucks (very few) and some pick-ups that are going too fast for the conditions, but I love that route..
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2016 at 08:20 AM
The Enchanted Islands along Mexico #5

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBuzz

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 01:49 PM
HWY 5 update from SF to HWY 1

Going to Loreto for Christmas. Any nomads have any recent updates on the condtion of the 21 miles of dirt?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2016 at 03:42 PM
still 23 miles of dirt!

It didn't appear as though any further paving could happen before the end of this year.

I'd say that half of the 23 miles is much better due to it being either used by work crews or because it will be the future road.

Even the formerly very slow and rocky part just west of Coco's has been improved a little by bringing in fill dirt. All in all, not so bad.

JM (report from traveling it a couple of weeks ago)
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 07:35 AM

For those of you towing trailers, we pulled a 19' travel trailer over the route from Chapala to the other side on December 6th. The entire route took 2 hours 20 minutes.

Overall, I think it was a little rough for a travel trailer.

I think I'd only do it again if I heard that the flat stretches were recently graded. If those were smoother, I think the middle sections with the rock knuckles would be tolerable. When we crossed, the washboard was just a little bit too much for the trailer on the flat straight sections.

I was pulling with a 1 ton Chevy, and averaged 5-10 mph. I have new tires, axles and suspension, and some lift not he trailer with axles mounted under the springs. We dropped the air pressure in both the truck and trailer tires.

I would definitely avoid this section if you have older suspension, older tires, an older worn trailer, or anything much larger than 20'

I think towing a well maintained small utility trailer would be fairly easy, but I'd personally avoid towing a fiberglass or heavier boat across this route.

[Edited on 12-6-2016 by BigWooo]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 08:11 AM

Is there a car wash close by on Hiway 1? I wouldn't want to have to drive a dusty truck very far!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 08:27 AM

Yea the SOC, a little salty but not bad.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 09:15 AM

WIFI at the car wash? Have to have WIFI...and a good ATM exchange rate....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 09:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Yea the SOC, a little salty but not bad.

There's a lake at Chapala... if Chuckie's lucky, it will have water in it!

Photos from BajaTripper, May 2010:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2016 at 09:58 AM

Would it be safe?

Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.