Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: K&N Filters
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

well let me ask you this, do you believe snorkel's keep dust out?

believe? is there religion involved?

I simply don't know

Harald Pietschmann
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 04:45 PM

If you REALLY want to be confused, put "compare truck air filters" into your search engine and count on spending unlimited time getting conflicting info & hype (but Harald's test was there, too)! Then I went to several Auto Parts stores and nobody has the AC Delco air-filter I need, and it will take a week, or more, to order it in.

I finally went outside, and just hand-cleaned and re-oiled my K&N filter with their "cleaning kit", and hope for the best. (It was really dirty----very embarrassing).

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 04:59 PM

MANY of the filters that Napa sells in their Gold line............are Wix filters.

Good paper filters.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 05:14 PM
Filters

My self have never been a big fan of K&N filters.. Seen Many,Many dirty ones,,, Too much work... fresh paper is the way to go for most apps and formy Volvo I use a MANN brand that has the check valve and you can level a RV with one.. WIX are fine...The ONLY way to clean a MAS/MAF is with CRC MAS/MAF Cleaner.. do NOT use carb cleaner,break Kleen or anything but the correct stuff or U will be replacing the sensor soon and they are not cheap..
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 5-30-2016 at 05:26 PM

The Captain is right on this one. I performed the experiment he is warning against on one of my Kia's, resulting in a ruined mass air flow sensor.

The symptoms were; Easy starting when cold, but slightly rough, progressing to misfiring badly after I got a few miles from home, mostly in the mid range rpm.

They are expensive, but the one on my parts car swapped out just fine, and is running to this day.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 07:13 AM

We have not had the problem with ruined air mass sensor. From K&N filters,but every truck we serviced. With K&N air cleaner carb,or intake runner full of dirt. On dirt bikes,carb slide sticks wide open from dirt. Only with K&N air cleaners,We wont even buy a used truck. If it has a K&N air cleaner.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 07:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
We have not had the problem with ruined air mass sensor. From K&N filters,but every truck we serviced. With K&N air cleaner carb,or intake runner full of dirt. On dirt bikes,carb slide sticks wide open from dirt. Only with K&N air cleaners,We wont even buy a used truck. If it has a K&N air cleaner.

now that's a powerful first hand account

Harald Pietschmann
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 07:40 AM

The MAF just need to be cleaned, they
Y aren't ruined. Buy some of the cleaner mentioned above and it only takes 5 minutes for it to be like new.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 08:42 AM

Just my personal experience:

My 22 year old 1994 Ford F-250 4x4 with the 460cc engine has had a K&N air filter on it that entire time with no problems with dirt getting past the filter as near as I can tell. The truck is ONLY used for trips into the boonies, mostly on dirt roads in Baja, and has 85K miles on it. Nothing has ever gone wrong with this truck other than having the AC unit recharged about 10 years ago--------it's been a dream truck. (horrible gas mileage, however----10 mpg no matter what)
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 08:45 AM

Last time I went to service my K&N filter, I noticed dust coating the throat of the throttle body.

I held the filter upto sunlight and there were pinholes everywhere.

The K&N lovers came out of the woodwork and accused me of cleaning it with a wire brush, or cleaning it with acetone, or a sandblaster, or other similar ridiculousness in their refusal to believe that their upgraded well marketed 'filter' was not effective, as a filter. perhaps a rock and pebble catcher.

I threw it in the trash and went back to paper, disgusted that I had fallen for the marketing 10 years earlier.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 09:01 AM
Barry A

LOL The FOMOCO 460 is a Great engine !! its just has a drinkin problem !! turn the truck off in the parking spot, get out and start walking away and you hear a loud Burb !!....

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by captkw]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 09:28 AM

sounds like a quality paper filter is the hot set up.....:D
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 09:53 AM

I just went out and held my K&N filter up to the sun--------no pin holes, and it was uniformly clean (now), but yes, the sunlight does stream thru it opaquely (sp?).

Perhaps it's all those micro "pin-holes" that allow the air to pass through it so easily, but like the Captain says, it does not help the 460cc get better gas mileage--------I think that is a hopeless cause expecting better gas mileage from THAT dream-engine-----there are always a few down-sides to everything. LOL

Having said all that, I have (or will have) AC Delco paper-filters on all my other rigs and cars, so you see I am not completely hopeless. (just too cheap to throw away an expensive K&N filter).
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 10:06 AM

My AFE filter cost about $60 5 years ago. I tap it clean every oil change (10k miles) and it is warrantied for life. It has never been black like in the foto above. Just a little dust. How many paper filters will you change out over the rest of your vehicles life and at what cost?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 10:09 AM

My dad's last car, a 1973 Ford LTD Country Squire station wagon had the 460 engine, and he loved it! He had a second gas tank installed as well as air adjustable rear shocks specifically for our July 1973 trip to Loreto, before Highway One was completed. I remember we ran out of gas by Rancho San Martin, south of Santa Ynez and he switched the lever for the other tank fuel line. It took a while to get the fuel flowing again. From north of Santa Ynez to Laguna Chapala we were on the old road as that gap had not yet seen the bulldozers and graders for the new highway roadbed.

Here's a photo from that day, in the Laguna Chapala valley on the new roadbed and one I took from the road bed of the detour next to it... That was Chapala Dust... famous in the pre-highway days.

The mighty 460 cid engine pulled us through!

At the top of the pass, south of Chapala, congratulations to my dad were in order.

My mom and the new highway construction behind her heading south to El Crucero and Punta Prieta:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 10:26 AM
DK

Great pics !! That's a Land Yacht by any driver !! My first drive to AK, towing a airstream was with a 460 drinking pig.. tough motor.. A mechanic s saying: pay at the pump or pay at the part house

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Great pics !! That's a Land Yacht by any driver !! My first drive to AK, towing a airstream was with a 460 drinking pig.. tough motor.. A mechanic s saying: pay at the pump or pay at the part house

Thank you. It was that summer 1973 trip that inspired me to write my first guidebook, I was 15. I loved taking notes on the mileages along the way. We drove the road to Cabo in 1966 in a Jeep, and I remembered it well. So comparing the new highway route with the old road down Baja was very interesting to me.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 10:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
My AFE filter cost about $60 5 years ago. I tap it clean every oil change (10k miles) and it is warrantied for life. It has never been black like in the foto above. Just a little dust. How many paper filters will you change out over the rest of your vehicles life and at what cost?

Oh oh, Woody------now you are going to start another disagreement, I suspect. You say you oil-change "every 10K miles"? I change oil (it's cheap) every 3 to 5K miles, just to be safe. My son is still driving my old stick-shift '69 Ford F-100 and it's going strong (240ci 6 cyl. engine) that we both have religiously changed oil in every 3K miles. That engine burns 1 qt. every 3K miles, roughly, and is in great shape. (frequent oil changes equals cheap insurance, I believe)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 11:06 AM

Well, I spring for the synthetic oil. Blackstone labs tested a sample years ago and said to go 10k. Other Tundra owners I know go 20k between changes and their tests come back good. 10k for me is about 20 months. Oh, with zero burnt oil. Drain 7 qts and add 7 qts.

Edit to say modern engines have much tighter tolerances so the need to drain "dirty" oil doesn't happen until much later, especially with synthetic oils.

[Edited on 5-31-2016 by woody with a view]

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-31-2016 at 11:15 AM

K&N filters let a lot of air into the engine. this is accomplished by large openings in the filter medium. this also allows lots of dust and crap to enter also. this is great for a race engine at WOT that will be rebuild at frequent intervals. i don't use them.
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.