Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guadalupe Canyon: Birds, Flowers and Politics
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 08:17 AM
Guadalupe Canyon: Birds, Flowers and Politics

Val and I just got back from an excellent weekend camping trip to Guadalupe Canyon. It rained from our house all the way out there and stopped just after we hit the dirt road off Mex 2. The hot tubs are so inviting when the weather is chilly and the stars are out. The place is as green as it has been in several years. Everything is popping early and I saw so many birds I have not seen in some time and hundreds of them. Does anyone know who publishes the best bird ID book for So Cal / Deserts with good pictures? Some of these birds were on fire they were so colorful!

The flowers are just starting, but this will be a very big bloom starting in a couple of weeks. The river is running through the canyon and a couple of miles into the desert before being swallowed by the sand. There is something special and invigorating about watching a desert stream flowing through boulders in an arid desert. It fills all the senses and you can feel the desert drinking it up!

A little canyon update:

The situation at Campo 3 is pretty grim. Almost nobody there and the they are desparate for visitors. The place was clean, no grafitti, no loud music and no trash. The settlement of a huge legal battle has placed the property completely in the hands of Ernesto Loya (Oldest son of Jose, the oldest son of Don Jose the original owner) and Javier (son in law) is no longer accepting reservations or involved in the operations. With more than 25 individual camps, this is the largest part of the canyon which was previously run down, crowded and trashed.

Rumors abound of a potential sale to an outside party, future development, more lawsuits, or potential reconciliation and consolidation between Arturo (Campo 1)and Ernesto to build a new cooperation.

As with so many Mexican family businesses that cater to a large population of Gringos, the almighty dollar has ruled Guadalupe Canyon for many years. As the surrounding area has been developed and exploited, the canyon has remained a unique place to spend a couple of days with beauty and wildlife unique to southwest deserts and riparian ecosystems.

The saga of the Loya family continues to be a source of interest and entertainment for me and the fact that we can still enjoy a beautiful weekend in a truly unique place is worth the drive and the money.

For those not familiar with the canyon, check www.guadalupe-canyon.com for information. Campo one is still a safer bet for reservations through "Canyonman" Rob Williams, but campo 2 and 3 were mostly empty all weekend and are looking as good as I have seen them. I suspect that the improving Spring weather will bring more people from Mexicali, but for now it is quiet, empty and devoid of the problems of the recent past.

Steve

[Edited on 1-31-2005 by HotSchott]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 08:31 AM

Great report Hotschott...

What happened to 'Angel', who I thought owned Campo #3?

Where is Campo #2 (across the canyon maybe?)?

Have they lowered prices to attract people? I once arrived at the canyon to find Arturo's Campo #1 full, so camped in a very unprivate spot in #3... but was charged the same high price as #1's primo camp sites... $40 then.

Thanks again Steve!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 08:53 AM
This greenhorn is asking ....

Morn'ing guys!
Will you please give me the following info: route to Guadalupe Canyon (from Mexicali or SF), how many driving hours, and direction to the least used camp there. Thanks
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 09:10 AM

I really don't know anything about pricing other than the published prices we are charged on the website for Campo 1.

Angel's Campo 2 is in one small corner of Campo 3 adjacent to the restaurant. Generally Angel doesn't get any business unless the other two camps are completely full and then he can fleece you for whatever the market will bear. Needless to say he is VERY hungry now. He was begging for some food before we left, so we cleaned out our cooler and helped him out.

Basically the canyon is all Campo 3 except for Arturo's area (indicated on the website) and Angels 'overflow spots'.

Rob told me that this is shaping up to be the best year ever for Campo 1. The camps are clean and generally reserved for small groups that enjoy the solitude and beauty vs. partying and raising hell. The prices are high, but where are you going to experience anything even remotely similar within 3 hours of San Diego for $60 per night? I highly recommend the weekdays if you can plan it. Tues / Weds / Thurs and you will probably have the whole place to yourself and experience the real Guadalupe Canyon! The surrounding desert is in perfect form right now and the beauty is all Baja.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 10:47 AM

$60/night? No wonder he's starving. Wasn't that long ago, it was $10/night. Agua Caliente (25 mi. from Ensenada) is $20/night. Agua Caliente/Anza Borrego is $5 day use, and camp elsewhere (no people) free.
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 1-31-2005 at 11:27 AM

Boy, you guys are making me feel old; I remember when it was $3, and I'm only a young 74! :lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 10:28 AM
They charge at Guadalupe????

Heck, I camped there dozens of times in the early and mid-'60's and there was no charge at all. Also, we mostly had the place to ourselves, and there was nobody living there at that time, although there was a small cabin, or two. We always went down there to study for exams (yeah, right) when in college. The last mile of road to the camp was just barely 2-wheel drive, with high-clearance vehicles----trucks-----not cars.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.