PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-13-2016 at 05:27 PM

yep....

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-13-2016 at 07:48 PM

When we give things away, they are no longer ours.

If the giver's intentions are good, that is really what counts....

If we feel scammed and foolish, it becomes our problem, not the scammer's.....they have their own burden.

Don't believe everything you think....
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 6-13-2016 at 11:22 PM

Also noted on Talk Baja in October:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/permalink/117415294...

carbroke.jpg - 30kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2016 at 08:08 AM

Huh. I stopped once when a couple guys - one older, one younger - were waving a gas can. I couldn't spare any gas, but they said they'd been there since yesterday afternoon, did I have any food to give them. I said yes, and got out of my car and opened the trunk. They closed in to see what I had - I got a little nervous - and picked out some granola bars and a couple oranges and maybe 1/2 gal. of water - I didn't have much as I was coming home after a trip. They were very grateful for the food and I believe their plight was legitimate.
Another time a carload of about 5 people thumbing a ride - they ran out of gas and wanted a ride about 20 mi. back to Santo Tomas to get gas. I gave him a ride - we chatted. I've seen the road crew/pothole guys waving a water bottle, and I would have stopped had it been safe - cars following too close to pull over.
I've been on the receiving end of good deeds in Mexico and am happy to help when I can. But after traveling so often in Baja and almost never seeing a Mexican driver stranded, and a Mexican driver not helping out another does raise the caution flag.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-14-2016 at 08:55 AM

What happened to the Green Angel daily patrols???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-15-2016 at 09:54 AM

I've been on the receiving of getting help on the road. In a rental car on the newly paved road that runs along the Guatemala border in Chiapas, I drove over what I thought was a small rock, which punctured the oil pan. Fortunately there was a small paved area along the road to pull over too. This was (is) rebel Zapatista terrritory with frequent government check points. It's also remote low-land jungle with little traffic on the road.

It was already late in the afternoon. I knew we couldn't spend the night, so I stood out in the center of the road to stop the first vehicle to come by. It was a flatbed truck with a crew and boxes of shoes to be sold along a chosen route. The driver gave a ride to the nearest town of Comitán 185 km away up in the mountains. The driver told us he wasn't going to stop because he had been robbed previously after stopping to help a "stranded" woman.

We reported the accident to the car rental agency that night and got a call the next day from the Mexican highway patrol by radio phone. They found the car. The gasoline had been stolen, but otherwise the car was OK. We had removed all our luggage. We sent out a tow truck which cost us over $200 because of the long distance of the tow. Fortunately Comitán has a modern VW dealership, so the repair was quickly done. We still lost 2 days of traveling time, but were grateful for the driver/owner of the shoe business, who once comfortable with us, was very helpful. He even dropped us off at a hotel.

My rule is to avoid stopping to help in urban areas, but judge the situation in rural areas and give help, especially on secondary or dirt roads.
Finchaser2020
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 09:20 AM

Saw them last Wednesday working north of town.

Thought it was strange they were stranded, but had two vehicles.

Have helped people down there when things lined up. Like a guy with his differential laying next to his work truck.

But this one smelled bad, especially after reading this post before we left.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I rarely see them anymore.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 11:24 AM

The Federal Highway Police patrol should address this as well.
Maybe it is a condoned scam... if it only affects us stupid gringos who think they really need help?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 12:16 PM

its a new business...they are all over southern California...no one is doing anything there either...they used to call them gypsies

rork forfood.jpg - 75kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 12:36 PM

There is a rest stop north of Colfax CA, where locals can be found trying to "get enough money for gas to get to Reno"

There is no gas station there, and some of them are squatters living close to there, and nave no car! I have seen similar situations at other rest stops along the interstates, usually on the way out of a community with a long ways to the next one.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2016 at 01:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

I saw two of them yesterday in Baja Sur...haven't seen them up north for some time. I think the last time was near Jesus y Maria.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.